This site is supported by the advertisements on it, please disable your AdBlocker so we can continue to provide you with the quality content you expect.

Moiré

Discussion in 'GFX 50S' started by Susan, Jun 26, 2017.

1. ZaltysZ

ZaltysZ Active Member

-Return to Top-

The randomness and film like is more of a marketing talk. XTrans repetition period is higher than Bayer (2 vs 6), but it is still very nonrandom. To understand what is good about XTrans, you must look at both grids. Bayer columns and rows always lack one of the colors, while that is not the case for XTrans - this makes it harder for color aliasing to appear.

lawsofphysics likes this.
  2. ZaltysZ

ZaltysZ Active Member

-Return to Top-

1) XTrans processing is more expensive than Bayer. It makes it less practical for 50MP sensors.
    2) XTrans also has more distance between same color pixels and that costs color resolution - not something you want for camera intended for fashion photography and so on. Ironically, they overlooked the moire.
    3) XTrans support isn't as mature as Bayer is. People buying expensive camera want it to use with every software industry is used too.

Basically, Fuji decided not to be as adventurous as they are with APS-C.

Narsuitus likes this.
  3. Left Eye

Left Eye Member

-Return to Top-

I currently also use a GH4 for 4k video, in the same situations - to document sculptures being made etc. Although the X-T2 takes great 4K, there are restrictions which probably would mean me staying with the GH4 (& maybe upgrading to the GH5) rather than having a X-T2 as a handy deep DOF camera.

Yes I'm keeping the GFX, I look forward to using it and processing the files. I've never been of the mind to return cameras unless there's something wrong with them, or I totally hate them - but I know enough before purchasing for that not to be case.

I've alerted Fuji to the EVF flicker and hope they can cure it with a firmware update, or if not, a MK2 EVF - as luckily it is interchangeable! I'm surprised the EVF flicker hasn't been noticed by more people though.

4. djsuth

djsuth Member

-Return to Top-

I don't notice any EVF flicker with my GFX, but perhaps I'm just not as sensitive to "flicker" as some. I plan to use the GFX primarily for landscape and studio work. And, to answer Narsuitus, no the GFX doesn't have an X-trans sensor. Fujifilm commented that using an x-trans sensor at such a high-resolution required a lot of digital processing in camera ; they found it more efficient and speedier to go with a Bayer design.

Narsuitus likes this.
  5. rfkiii

rfkiii Member

-Return to Top-

I replied to you based on the comments regarding the D800E and moire. I am pretty mainstream myself, owned the D800E, and knew about moire long before that camera.

The rest addressed the OP's concerns.

6. Peter H

Peter H Premium Member

-Return to Top-

This is a virtually 100% crop from an unedited X-Pro 2 RAF file. A completely plain blueish-grey shirt hanging on a white chair. I don't know whether the purple and green pattern is moire or colour fringing on the textile pattern, so I don't know if it teaches us anything, but in case it's helpful to see what can happen with an XTrans sensor, here it is:

_DSF5784.jpg

7. djsuth

djsuth Member

-Return to Top-

Yes, this is an example of colour moiré. Would you have noticed it in the original image if not viewed at 100% ?

8. Peter H

Peter H Premium Member

-Return to Top-

Yes. It's immediately noticeable.

I'm not complaining though. It's the only time I've seen it spoil an image in a few thousand XP2 photos. I only posted it as an example of what can happen in the right-wrong circumstances.

9. damienlovegrove

damienlovegrove Premium Member

-Return to Top-

The Phase one P25 I owned for 3 years was a nightmare for Moiré. I've yet to get Moiré on any GFX shot ( >4000 frames so far) but maybe it's because I don't shoot suits and I tend to use wide apertures that render the majority of clothing just out of focus. As a portrait photographer I'd say moiré is a non issue. If I was a fashion or wedding shooter then I'd have to see what the competition is like and see if the Hassy X1D or 5DSR etc is better, the same or worse.

F2Bthere likes this.
  10. richherzog

richherzog New Member

-Return to Top-

Morié has been a problem for digital backs without the AA filter forever. My suggestion is to use Capture One 10 to process your images. Since Phase One has been producing backs without the AA filter, their software is the most sophisticated software to handle morié. That being said, everyone is going to say that C1 does not support Fuji GFX files, and they are "sort" of correct. There is a workaround, and it is really worth it. Adobe LR can not hold a candle to what C1 can do. Here is the workaround:
    You can open GFX files in Capture one with these simple three steps:

1. Use Adobe DNG convert to batch convert RAF to DNG (no compression)
    2. Use something like Exif Editor to change camera name to “IQ250” (batch mode too)
    3. Open the files in C1, and you’re done!
    I hope that helps. Please keep your GFX, it's a dream camera!

11. F2Bthere

F2Bthere Premium Member

-Return to Top-

The software used to demosaic the RAW file apparently does make a difference.

I downloaded some RAF files and opened them in Camera RAW with no issues.

I opened one of the RAF files with Photomatix (it is capable of opening RAW) and the suit on the man in the image had serious moire problems.