This site is supported by the advertisements on it, please disable your AdBlocker so we can continue to provide you with the quality content you expect.

MF lens for X-Pro2

Discussion in 'Adapted Lens Forum' started by montymo, Aug 12, 2017.

1. montymo

montymo Premium Member

-Return to Top-

Hello. I'm a happy X100F user, but I am considering purchasing an X-Pro2. I'd like to get a "proper" manual focus lens for it. If I had my way it would be a prime lens. Somewhere around 16mm-24mm focal length and f/2 or f/2.8

Are any off you using something like this? Do you have any recombinations? Anything I should be aware of?

Thanks
    Monty

2. Jbat

Jbat Well-Known Member

-Return to Top-

I have an X-Pro2 and use a 23 f/1.4 and a 35 f/2. I like both lens. The 35 is the quite smaller and seems to me to be ideal for the X-Pro2. On the other hand, the 23 1.4 is a stellar low light lens so there are benefits either way. The other option is a 23 f/2 which I do not have but understand it to be comparable to the 35 f/2.

Joel

3. badrufus

badrufus Member

-Return to Top-

I think if you want a manual focus lens for an X-Pro2, you would be best off buying the best lens you can afford and just using it manually when you want to, while having auto focus available when needed. The lenses Monty mentions above would be great.

4. RnR

RnR Member

-Return to Top-

That fast and that wide in a 'legacy format' will be either very expensive, and/or fairly large. A focal reducer together with a nice 28mm f2.8 lens will get you down to 20mm f2. Then your usage case will dictate how money you would need to pump into the lens and the focal reducer to get the quality you are after.

If you don't care about speed, but you want wide and tiny size - maybe check the Voigtlander 15mm f4.5 out - Please login or register to view links - you want the 3rd version.

Canon FD 24mm f2 with a focal reducer will get you down to 17mm f1.4. Heard good things about the lens, but it is somewhat more expensive that your usual legacy 24mm lenses.

It really depends on what you are planning to use the lens for and how good you want the output - across the entire field? - from wideopen? :)

5. gyoung

gyoung Premium Member

-Return to Top-

How about the Samyang 21/1.4? Don't have it myself yet but it gets good reports.
    Legacy lenses that wide are going to be large and not as sharp on the corners at large apertures as the Fuji 23s

Gerry

6. Narsuitus

Narsuitus Premium Member

-Return to Top-

I was using an adapted Nikon 24mm f/2 lens before I replaced it with the Fuji 23mm f/1.4.

7. jamie allan

jamie allan Premium Member

-Return to Top-

Monty,
    If you are going down the adapted lens route and presently don't have a preference for maker there are a few sites you might want to look at - to name but a few.

Pentax PK and M42
    Please login or register to view links

General - mflenses site

Konica - the thing about the Hexanons is that they are really small and light. The 24/2.8 is 36mm at infinity and weighs 205gm. The other good thing about the Konicas is that the adapter is slightly smaller as the flange focal distance for the Konicas was only 40.5mm which means the adapter is 5mm shorter than the M42 for instance.

Beware though it's a slippery slope - you'll get addicted.:)

Last edited: Aug 12, 2017
  8. Jan Hordijk

Jan Hordijk Active Member

-Return to Top-

Each choice is personal.
    It is therefore only the reader whether he is in a hurry.
    But I will try to make clear my choices for choices.

I have had a lot of cameras with optical viewfinder. (Now the Fuji X-Pro2 with backup camera the X-E2)
    I like the way of working with these types of cameras.
    I am focused on street photography.
    Weight and size speak to me.

I have the X-Pro2 with 16mm F1.4 / 23mm F1.4 / 23mm F2.0 / 27mm F2.8 / 35mm F2.0 / 50mm F2.0 / 60mm 2.4 and I use only a few of these in practice .

If I go with a lens, it's the 16mm. Size and size are very important to me. That's why the 16mm is actually very big and heavy, but it's my favorite lens and actually my default lens. This lens has no frame lines in the optical viewfinder.
    Fortunately, for the normal photo work, the entire optical viewfinder image "approximately" corresponds to the 16mm lens. If you keep the camera running continuously, to respond quickly, it's also nice that the optical viewer asks for less power.

If I go with 2 lenses, I choose the 16mm and the 50mm. These are spaced apart from the focal point to be complementary. And that lens I usually use with the electronic finder. That is logical for that focal length. The lens is light and fast and I do not need more than moderate tele.

When I go with 3 lenses, the 23mm F2.0 comes with it. Light and fast and the more neutral perspective.

The 35mm F2.0 / 60mm 2.4 / I do not actually use. Like the 18-55mm and the 50-230mm, which last from the closet for a separate bird in the garden. The 27mm F2.8 is also superfluous, but seemed attractive as an unobtrusive model.

9. Sarge

Sarge Well-Known Member

-Return to Top-

If you plan on getting an X-Pro2 I would wait until Fuji offers it in a package deal with the 23mm F/2. That is how I bought it. I paid $1799.00 I think. So basically I got the lens for $100.00.
    As far as adapted lenses go there are tons of old M42 mount lenses that are cheap and work great.

10. Dr.S

Dr.S Premium Member

-Return to Top-

What about Leica mount Voigtländer 28 mm/f2.0 Ultron (42mm eq.) with acceptable price?
    Closer to your wished focal lenght is the 21mm/f1.8 (32mm eq.) Ultron at double price tag but still a lot
    cheaper as Leica lenses. The first lens is a good compromise and fit exatly between 35 and 50 mm.
    The Fuji / Leica mount adapter is perfect for those lenses.

Last edited: Aug 12, 2017
  11. montymo

montymo Premium Member

-Return to Top-

WOW! I can see this will not be a easy choice. Many, many options. That's good I guess :)

I have not considered Voigtländer. That looks like a great option.

Thanks for the lens review site Jamie and yes, I well aware just how addictive the vintage lenses can be. When I had a Nikon D700 & D600 a had a few old MF lenses. Here is a joke photo I took for our photo club:

[​IMG]

jamie allan and Narsuitus like this.
  12. Dennisr

Dennisr New Member

-Return to Top-

Hi Monty
    If you want a manual focus Fujifilm lens get yourself an XF 16mm f1.4 R WR. It has a manual focus ring and a depth of field scale, 150mm min focus distance and the results from it sparkle. It will also auto focus. I have one on my X-T2 and I love it!
    Kind regards
    Dennisr

13. gyoung

gyoung Premium Member

-Return to Top-

I have the older 28mm 1.9 Ultron which is good, supposed to be better than the f/2 which has a bit of focus shift apparently.

Gerry

14. specLegacy

specLegacy Premium Member

-Return to Top-

If you still have your collection of Nikon MF lenses, you could try those with an adapter.

For something really compact, and if you're ok with a newer MF lens with no pedigree, I'd highly recommend a Wesley 24/1.8 (also sold as a Zonlai, Discover, 7artisans, and probably other names, but labeled as a 25/1.8 in those cases). I was skeptical at first, but it's become one of my favorites, though my copy did require a bit of fiddling to get rid of a bit of slop in its tolerances. It's very small. Same length as the Fuji 18/2, but narrower. It's also quite affordable, being about $80 more or less. Main downside is that the far corners are not sharp until stopped down, but that will likely be the case with most legacy MF lenses, especially at this price range. Anywhere you'd actually want your subject to be, it's actually sharper than old MF lenses, even at f/1.8. Also, the focus and DOF scales are mostly useless (Especially the 25/1.8 versions. My 24/1.8 at least has decent a decent distance scale). I get around this by noting a few distance and aperture combinations that work for different zone focusing situations, but I shoot wide open most of the time.

15. beakhammer

beakhammer Premium Member

-Return to Top-

I have and use Fuji AF lenses, and they are lovely lenses, but I also use and appreciate many manual focus lenses. I find that for the wider focal lengths modern lenses are often quite a bit better than old ones, unless you can afford the very best (such as newer Zeiss lenses). Affordable adapted lenses are much more comparable to modern lenses in the mid-range of focal lengths on either side of the normal range, so I have had best luck with the 24mm - 135mm range for adapted lenses. Wider than around 24mm you will either want to buy the best of the old lenses, OR look at some of the modern wide angle manual focus lenses made by companies like Rokinon, Samyang, or Cosina-Voigtlander. Spend some time doing a lot of reading and looking at pictures on line because there is quite a range of quality out there. Some adapted lenses are truly excellent, while others may not be very good. Pay special attention to reading about how specific lenses will work with your APSc X-Pro2. Some lenses, especially wide or telescoping RF lenses, have issues when mounted on specific digital cameras, usually due to the lens being too close to the sensor.

In the range you mention 24mm Pentax and Minolta lenses have worked very well for me. I can strongly recommend Cosina-Voigtlander's small Rangefinder lenses, especially for the X-Pro2. Watch out for one of the early versions of the widest lenses by Cosina Voigtlander; the 15mm may have issues with some digital sensors, though this has perhaps been fixed in new versions of the lens.

My advice is to look first at Fuji-X lenses for the widest focal lengths and experiment with adapted lenses in focal lengths from 24mm on up.

16. Snodge

Snodge New Member

-Return to Top-

May I also suggest for consideration, purely because it is a fun lens to use - the HD Discover 25mm f/1.8 lens (and most like the 7artisans 25mm f/1.8 will be similar if not the same). It's very cheap, but fun to use, very light, no electronics, a fair bit of distortion due to the lack of profiles in Lightroom etc, but I find it enjoyable to use. I've (hopefully) attached a straight out of camera JPG (resized only), of some trees in the mist, at f/1.8. At the price these lenses are, I figured it was worth a shot!

tree1.jpg

17. AdrianG

AdrianG Premium Member

-Return to Top-

If you intend to use the OVF a fastish SLR lens is not a very good option in this FL range. The XF18mm isn't a proper MF lens and the 16mm and 23/1.4 lenses both block a considerable portion of the finder. However, both can be shot OVF if you're used to it. There are two Zeiss M lenses, a 21/2.8 and a 25/2.8. I've been thinking about getting either of those, but it's probably not going to happen. If I need fast it's the 16mm or 23mm and for everything else the Voigtländer 21mm f/4 M Mount lens. That's an inexpensive lens with great mechanical build, easy to focus and invisible in the finder, but it's slow and in many ways not for the faint hearted. I did try the 21mm Ultron at some point and it's an outstanding lens but unfortunately with a fixed hood, which is a deal breaker for me.
    Cheers

18. Dr.S

Dr.S Premium Member

-Return to Top-

Hi Adrian,
    I dont understand the OVF issue. When focusing with manual lens, the XPRO2 switches automatically to EVF...

19. AdrianG

AdrianG Premium Member

-Return to Top-

No, it doesn't, of course. I think there's an option to activate this, but only with native lenses and I would by no means want to have this happen. I usually focus using the range finder or by feeling, both of which is possible with M-Mount and some other adapted lenses and with Fuji's clutched lenses, such as the 16mm and 23/1.4.
    Besides, a lens blocking the finder isn't so much a problem for focusing. Finder blockage is mainly a problem for composition.

20. gyoung

gyoung Premium Member

-Return to Top-

Adapted manual focus lenses will work with any combination of the ovf with or without the focus patch, or the evf. I use them all the time.
    My 40mm Ultron SLII is a compact Nikon mount lens and works fine on a Nikon to FX adapter with the ovf. However my 24mm 2.8 (a Sigma,but the same size as the Nikon 24mm 2.8 AiS) obscurs a fair bit of the ovf. Thats still a small lens by slr standards.
    An Ultron 28mm 1.9 in Leica mount is great as its slimmer and shorter.

Gerry