This site is supported by the advertisements on it, please disable your AdBlocker so we can continue to provide you with the quality content you expect.

"memory full" message - SD not full

Discussion in 'General X Camera Forum' started by Learningful, Sep 11, 2017.

1. Learningful

Learningful New Member

-Return to Top-

I tried searching on this topic but no luck. I got a Memory Full message on my X-T2, so I removed the SD card, removed some unnecessary files via my desktop MAC and re-inserted the SD card. The camera does not seem to be recognizing the freed up space, and still gives the Memory Full message. Is there something more I need to do to the SD card in order for the camera to recognize the free space? Thanks.

2. robert

robert Administrator Staff Member

-Return to Top-

try this

Please login to view links

mokeiyong likes this.
  3. Mike Gorman

Mike Gorman Premium Member

-Return to Top-

Why on earth don't you download all the files and reformat the SD card?

4. Learningful

Learningful New Member

-Return to Top-

Thanks, but that's not the error I'm getting, and I have lots of number "head room" on my X-T2 at the moment. I searched the Warning Messages and Displays for the camera, and the description of the Memory Full message suggests that files can be removed to free up space. I removed the SD card from the camera because I wanted to delete RAW files I didn't need, but keep the corresponding JPEGs. I did this on my MAC (removing about 50MB of RAF files), and re-inserted the SD to the camera. However, the camera does not seem to recognize that files have been removed. I suspect this has something to do with how the JPEGs and RAW files are connected in the card. Just wondering if there's a way to get the camera to recognize the new space. Thanks.

5. dpc

dpc Premium Member

-Return to Top-

I'd download what files you have and format the card.

6. Learningful

Learningful New Member

-Return to Top-

Thanks for the response. The answer is that I'm trying to keep a particular group of files together on the same SD card, which I will then hand over to someone else for processing.

7. robert

-Return to Top-

Can you try the reset anyway, and see what happens?

There have been reports of this before, looking for the thread.

8. Goldingd

Goldingd Premium Member

-Return to Top-

1. Do you have one or two SD cards inserted.
    2. If you have two cards inserted what is your save data setting?

9. robert

-Return to Top-

Please login to view links

10. Goldingd

Goldingd Premium Member

-Return to Top-

Please remember that deleting files does not actually remove them from the media, they are still on the SD card, just removed from the file allocation table. Now, in theory, they could be overwritten, except cameras and SD cards do not behave exactly like computers and regular hard drives.

Incidentally, I take it that you have not copied your JPEG files to somewhere other than the SD card. Copy those files now, you are just begging for failure. Might be making a bad assumption based on your desire to keep them on the SD card.

So, Mike Gorman has asked, why have you not formatted the SD card? Copy the remaining files to your computer. Make a second copy of all the images, RAF and JPEG to an external hard drive as backup. Make an additional copy of the JPEG files to another SD card for your friend. Format the SD card IN CAMERA, and move on.

Barry Cross and Learningful like this.
  11. robert

-Return to Top-

Before doing all that, please try the solution in #9 and report back. Thanks!

12. Goldingd

Goldingd Premium Member

-Return to Top-

P.S. How many shooting sessions did it take to fill up the SD card? If just one, how big an SD card?

Do not use a SD card as your main depository of your images. After a shoot move them to your computer, copy to an external drive, maybe copy them to another media, and format.

CWRailman, Learningful and Shadowside like this.
  13. Greybeard Photography

Greybeard Photography Member

-Return to Top-

How about this: Copy off all the files to the computer - do a low level format of the card - format in the camera (to get the correct file structure) and then copy the files you need back

Goldingd likes this.
  14. Shadowside

Shadowside Good Glass is Forever...

-Return to Top-

Formatting the card before use IN THE CAMERA is the accepted best practice - for any device not just cameras. Some OS's put small meta tags on cards and this can affect readability and or function in other devices that may not share the same file system or requirements.

I never take a card from my camera to a computer then back to the camera without formatting it for use - you can do this but it is risky. I have done it in the past, and the issue you hare dealing with is what happened to me as well.

Cards are, for the most part, cheaper and more readily available than good images...

Learningful likes this.
  15. Greybeard Photography

Greybeard Photography Member

-Return to Top-

FWIW I use the SD card association low level formatter on the computer and then format on camera to create the file structure

16. Learningful

Learningful New Member

-Return to Top-

I understand this action will reset image numbering -- which I'd prefer to avoid.

17. Learningful

Learningful New Member

-Return to Top-

For this particular session - one card only.

18. CWRailman

CWRailman Premium Member

-Return to Top-

Depending on how your X-T2 is set up, removing "50mb", which is what you said you removed, of space is not nearly enough as that will only allow for one or two RAW + JPG files and sometimes depending on the image not even that much. Clear 1GB of space and see what that does. See this discussion on file sizes. Please login to view links

Last edited: Sep 11, 2017
  19. Learningful

Learningful New Member

-Return to Top-

This is generally what I do -- I have 5 external HD specifically for backup and storage.

20. Learningful

Learningful New Member

-Return to Top-

Thanks for all your suggestions. I've imported all the files on the card to my computer. I will then format the card, finish my current project, and then copy all the required files back to the SD card to maintain the integrity of the collection.

Thanks again.