This site is supported by the advertisements on it, please disable your AdBlocker so we can continue to provide you with the quality content you expect.

Luminar Update

Discussion in 'Post Processing Forum' started by bobjar, Apr 12, 2018.

1. bobjar

bobjar Premium Member

-Return to Top-

Anyone tried Luminar Update (Win version) released today?

Short try for me - still quite slow, later crashed, and my added LUTs files have disappeared or produce a white frame with no image. And I'm not going to root through the file trees to find where they might be.

I'd really like for this to work but buying a Mac is not an option.

Bob

Last edited: Apr 12, 2018
  2. Tarmoo

Tarmoo Premium Member

-Return to Top-

See Please login or register to view links

AZWolf likes this.
  3. pszilard

pszilard RemektekMedia.com

-Return to Top-

Mine is MUCH faster now!

AZWolf likes this.
  4. jknights

jknights Moderator Staff Member

-Return to Top-

No but I have just ugrsded my Mac.
    Need to test.

5. Bud James

Bud James Premium Member

-Return to Top-

I own it. Speed has not been an issue as I am running a new iMacPro 8-core with 64GB RAM and 2TB SSD.

I like the interface, but I'm sticking with Capture One Pro.

Regards,
    Bud James

Please login or register to view links

AZWolf, BillC-PA and bobjar like this.
  6. Arjay

Arjay Admin Staff Member

-Return to Top-

Does the new Windows version now contain a Digital Asset Management system?

7. bobjar

bobjar Premium Member

-Return to Top-

No, and I've not looked at video to see how much, if any, the interface/toolset has moved toward the Mac Version. Initially there were some holes, leaving one to hope. There are no Windows-based videos that I've seen, probably for a reason.

I've tried again since the update but frankly loading a RAF is so slow Luminar is off the table until the next update and DAM appear, if, and a big IF, the update is free. I've paid once but not again.

At this time, the latest LR, Exposure X3, X-Transformer, and CC2018 have more that enough functionality, and speed to keep me happy - for the moment :)

My very narrow observation - Mac-centric developers seem to have an awkward time getting their minds and products around the Windows architecture and user interface. A shame and I'm sure an expensive venture, particularly when products are rushed to market.

Bob

Last edited: Apr 13, 2018
  8. bobjar

bobjar Premium Member

-Return to Top-

I see Luminar Jupiter and just Luminar - what distinguishes the products? Also folks not very happy with having to pay again?

9. Bsmooth

Bsmooth New Member

-Return to Top-

I downloaded it and now Luminar doesn't work , I get an error saying Luminar requires at least OpenGL version 3.3. Problem is I checked and I have version 4.2.

10. Lumens

Lumens Premium Member

-Return to Top-

No, It's still just a plug-in for Lightroom.

11. ru2far2c

ru2far2c Premium Member

-Return to Top-

I just update my Luminar to 2018 1.2.0 on a Mac. I use it as a stand alone app. Have not used LR in a few years. The last version of LR I have is what ever the last free update for LR v6.xx.
    It seems to load X-H1 raw files just fine for me for one at time. Most of my DAM is done with in Photo Mechanic and post production is done in Capture One. So I'm waiting for C1 to update their camera profiles for X-H1. I go to Luminar once in while when I can not get C1 to do something. Right now i'm using Luminar to finish a few X-H1 files till C1 catches up.
    Your question is on the Window Platform so I not sure this will be of any help to you. I have yet to have Luminar keep the LUT's where they should be. I always have to go and fish them out. So I finally put them in a folder that is easy to retrieve the files from on the root.

There are other work around solutions besides buying a Mac.

12. bobjar

bobjar Premium Member

-Return to Top-

Thanks for the info. I've not had much success with ON1 on Windows either, crashing, going off to neverland, etc. What I have works fine, and CC2018 has a LUTs adjustment layer; just looking for something more compact, but the speed, or lack thereof is a deal killer for me.

Bob

13. AZWolf

AZWolf Premium Member

-Return to Top-

Hi Bob,
    I also had the LUT issue and reported it to my contacts at Skylum. Let's hope the engineers can address that as the Fuji film LUTs are a big asset. I can't address the Windows side being slower- Skylum is still working on getting parity with the Mac side. I know they added a lot of the Mac features but I understand if there isn't enough speed increase for you. Perhaps wait for the next iteration. Sometimes the first major update out of the chute has some bugs. At least that's been my experience with Adobe and everyone else...
    Joel

bobjar and Drew Sinclair like this.
  14. AZWolf

AZWolf Premium Member

-Return to Top-

Thanks for mentioning!

Joel

15. AZWolf

AZWolf Premium Member

-Return to Top-

Contact Skylum about this. I believe it is a known bug as I've seen it mentioned other places and Skylum posted a response to get in touch with them for help ( support@skylum.com )

Cheers,
    Joel

16. AZWolf

AZWolf Premium Member

-Return to Top-

Because photography is my full time living and I also teach this stuff, I try to keep up with the software. Even the behemoth-sloth Adobe has been joining the fray of companies updating their products at a breakneck pace (ON1, Skylum, Topaz, etc.) The competition is good for all of us in the long run but every time there is a major update there seems to be bugs. Typically these companies fix the bugs pretty quickly.

I wouldn't be too quick to judge any of them on long term feasibility based on the first version of the upgrade. We are spoiled by all our choices and it's frustrating to be patient. Personally I'll put up with the initial bugs to have all the good choices for Fuji X-Trans compared to a couple years ago when there was a dearth of them.

Also keep in mind that there probably won't be one single solution. It's possible to use one with DAM as a hub (ON1/LR/C1) and hop into others for their unique assets. I have a workflow with 4 of them though this isn't for everyone. I compared the four I use in a Please login or register to view links if you care to look.

Happy Shooting,
    Joel

mnhoj likes this.
  17. AZWolf

AZWolf Premium Member

-Return to Top-

I probaby should have pointed this out in my review but "Jupiter" is just a name given to the update v1.2 It's kind of like Apple's names for the OS versions. A previous Luminar was called "Neptune" so they seem to have a planet theme. In the end they're all Luminar with different version numbers.

If you already own Luminar 2018 then it's a free update. They are discounting it for upgrades of 2017 and new users. You can piggyback discounts which brings it down to $39 and $59 respectively. (my discount code will work for the extra ten bucks off; code WOLFSON)

Hope this helps,
    Joel

Last edited: Apr 13, 2018
  18. AZWolf

AZWolf Premium Member

-Return to Top-

It is a stand-alone too. DAM is coming- just not as fast as we had all hoped. Whey they have it, I'll review it.

-Joel

jknights likes this.
  19. AZWolf

AZWolf Premium Member

-Return to Top-

Nothing wrong with using both. ;-) You can use C1 as your main hub and drop into Luminar for some of their unique filters. I find this workflow faster than trying to duplicate effects that are easier and sometimes unique in Luminar (eg. Golden Hour, Orton Effect, Accent- AI, Sunrays, etc.)

Happy Shooting (and processing),
    Joel

20. jknights

jknights Moderator Staff Member

-Return to Top-

Looking forward to the DAM arriving as it will make it comparable to LR and COP.

AZWolf likes this.