This site is supported by the advertisements on it, please disable your AdBlocker so we can continue to provide you with the quality content you expect.

love/hate relationship

Discussion in 'Adapted Lens Forum' started by kevistopheles, Aug 9, 2018.

1. kevistopheles

kevistopheles Premium Member

-Return to Top-

I have a love/hate relationship with Olympus OM lenses. An OM 50/1.8 silver nose was the very first adapted lens I ever had. I used it on an Olympus E500 more than a few years ago. Over the years I've had a number of them. 24/2.8 (6), 28/2.8, 28/3.5 (3), 50/1.8 (5), 50/1.4 (3), 100/2.8 (2), 135/2.8, 200/4 and some flavor of 35-70.

For the most part I've gotten some very good images off of most of them. I regret selling somoe of them, others not. I think they're overpriced relative to other quality adapted lenses, the build quality always struck me as kinda shakey and they seem to be more prone to sample variation and fungus. Sometimes they're really good and sometimes they're pedestrian.

I do like my OM 1n and 2n and appreciate their small size and how these lenses work with what I think was one of the best SLR bodies ever made. Of course that's a case of the body dictating the lens. I liked my old E500 and E510 and I loved the 14-54 zoom but I've never liked Olympus m43 cameras or lenses.

Here are a few I've made with OM lenses. I like the images a lot but they don't wow me. I've got a few lenses that consistently wow me. The Nikkor 105/2.5 and 35/2 are a couple. I think the OM lenses are good but they also strike me as being pretty much on par with adapted lenses. Yesterday a good friend said to me that OM lenses (when they're good) stand toe-to-toe with the best German glass. I might've say that about Nikkors, Minolta and maybe even Konica but I just don't see that when I think about Olympus.

100/2.8
    Please login or register to view links by Please login or register to view links, on Flickr

50/1.8 MIJ
    Please login or register to view links by Please login or register to view links, on Flickr

So here's what I am curious about, I know OM lenses are popular and I know a number of people here really like them. What I want to know is WHY? I know they're good lenses but I know some think they're great. From my perspective the best thing about these lenses (which is different from the ONLY good thing) is their small size. I have never had one that I would call great, good yes, even very good but great? Not so much.

What do you like about them? Why would you choose one over a Pentax, Canon, Nikon, Minolta etc. at the same focal length? Do you like the way they render? Is there something truly unique that I just don't see? I really am very curious to know.

Last edited: Aug 9, 2018
    Tara Elizabeth and CWRailman like this.