This site is supported by the advertisements on it, please disable your AdBlocker so we can continue to provide you with the quality content you expect.

Lensmate X100F Thumbrest

Discussion in 'X100F, X100T, X100S, X100, and X70' started by Lacroix1, Apr 18, 2017.

1. jrforman

jrforman Active Member

-Return to Top-

The grip on the X100F felt awkward for me, like it would slip from my hand. I tried a Gariz 1/2 case which was an improvement but still didn't feel right. I received my Lensmate thumb rest a couple of days ago. Works perfectly for me. It feels like a natural extension of the camera. I don't think about it being there, It just feels right.

I did try the Gariz case with the thumb rest and the combination did NOT feel right. The thumb rest felt better with just the camera.

2. Hypoxic

Hypoxic New Member

-Return to Top-

Now that I have the thumbrest, I can vouch for the photos above, they are excellent and give a good sense of the item. I too received my Lensmate thumbrest recently. I'm not that enamored with the design, to be honest, but I think I've accepted it as it will work as expected. It did feel very light in the hand taking it out of the box, but I don't see it as flimsy. I doubt the moving mechanism will break easily. It has a defined click as it moves into place.

I was a bit taken aback design wise, when I realized how far back from the hotshoe the posterior aspect of the thumbrest sits. It's strangely not very conducive in design to the rest of the camera body. I kind of wish it wasn't folding as there seems to be room to turn the ISO dial even when it is not folded back. The resting portion for the thumb sits a bit higher than expected, even a bit above the height of the ISO dial and it makes for a slightly uncomfortable resting position of my thumb.

I'm a little bothered I paid so much for it but it is probably fine, it will work as intended, it certainly does help with the handholding of the camera. That's the point after all. I suspect if match comes out with one that assimilates with the camera body better and is a single piece, I'll be a sucker and buy that one, but we'll see, they're notoriously expensive.[/QUOTE]

3. mnsato

mnsato New Member

-Return to Top-

[/QUOTE]
    I'm waiting also...Tim's stuff is superb
    Hope it's not the 'folding' variety

4. katsanes

katsanes New Member

-Return to Top-

Thank you! I apologize, on my phone I didn't see the text over the images - I take it back!! :)

5. mnsato

mnsato New Member

-Return to Top-

I'm waiting also...Tim's stuff is superb
    Hope it's not the 'folding' variety[/QUOTE]
    i just got a email from Tim/matchtech...x100f thumb grip will be solid...no hinge

6. buck777

buck777 Premium Member

-Return to Top-

Hi Susan
    Love lensmate. Had one on my X-T1, brought another for my X-T2 ( not realising that one was compatible with the other) and have now expressed my interest and will buy the x100f when it's available.
    Can you remember me when they are made in the next batch?. Pretty please!!

7. susan Doel

susan Doel New Member

-Return to Top-

We would recommend being added to our interested parties list, for either the Silver X100F or the Black. You can do it through our website or email me at susan.sales@lensmateonline.com

We are fulfilling our huge interested parties list first - before we have the Thumbrest available to the public.

As of today, it appears we will have the X100F Folding Thumbrest up on our site May 22nd.

Susan of Lensmate

8. ggruber

ggruber Active Member

-Return to Top-

Get a can of Electronics parts cleaner. It's used to clean small parts and then completely evaporate. The tolerances are probably very tight and a very small piece of dirt -- maybe something left over from the manufacturing process can cause the joint to bind. Even if it was made from 7075 aircraft grade alum. the joint is the weak link, always.

9. susan Doel

susan Doel New Member

-Return to Top-

We contacted this buyer as we have never heard of anyone snapping our Xpro2 Folding Thumbrest before. He purchased the thumbrest a year ago, May 2016, and sent us the right hand side so our designer could take a look. On the back of thumb grip, there is damage to the metal indicating it was struck or dropped - the probable cause of the failure. As a good faith gesture we did refund him the $59.95.

RonSmith likes this.
  10. buck777

buck777 Premium Member

-Return to Top-

Just received confirmation from lensmate it's on its way ( silver x100f thumbrest ). Awesome communication.

11. katsanes

katsanes New Member

-Return to Top-

I just got word from Match Technical that 1) their product is delayed until Mid-June and 2) they're dropping the price by about $45. PopFlash, whom I pre-ordered mine from, already issued me a refund of the difference. Awesome by me!

12. buck777

buck777 Premium Member

-Return to Top-

My lensmate arrived today for my X100F (considering I live at the bottom of the world it was amazingly fast ). It's perfect. Started to get a little worried by a post or two not liking the hinge - but it's a great designed thumb rest. I guess I have averagely large hands but I find it perfectly positioned to hold with one hand. Also where the thumb rests is wider than my lensmate on my X-T2, which again is a great design. I understand why they keep selling out now.

13. AntoineLux

AntoineLux New Member

-Return to Top-

Hi guys.
    Could anyone who already has the thumbrest post a picture taken from the right side of the camera (profile)? I'd like to see if the back part of the thumbrest hits the rear command dial at all?
    Thanks.

14. katsanes

katsanes New Member

-Return to Top-

The Match Technical isn't really close at all -
    [​IMG] [​IMG]

15. AntoineLux

AntoineLux New Member

-Return to Top-

Thanks Katsanes. Yes I had seen some pictures from the Match Technical and didn't think it would cause any problem with the rear dial. I was more curious about the lensmate.
    Have you had a chance to compare both the lensmate and the MT by any chance? I'm already making an effort trying to convince myself that 60$ for the LM is worth it. Maybe I should just go all out and put the additional 35 for the MT! :)

16. sccjim

sccjim Member

-Return to Top-

When I was switching from my X100T to the X100F two months ago, I thought I wouldn't be able to use the Lensmate Thumb Rest based on what I was reading. When I got the F, I put the old thumb rest on it and gave it a try. I've been using it on my X100F for two months and it works fine for me. Doesn't cover any buttons. The thumb wheel resides just below it and is easily rotated with the edge of my thumb. It IS a little tricky to push straight in on the wheel. I have to do that with my thumbnail, but I have that function set to activate the Wi-Fi, which I don't do too often and never in a hurry.