This site is supported by the advertisements on it, please disable your AdBlocker so we can continue to provide you with the quality content you expect.

Lenses for Handheld B-Roll?

Discussion in 'Native X-Mount Lens Forum' started by pnwhiker, Oct 10, 2018.

1. pnwhiker

pnwhiker New Member

-Return to Top-

Hello,

Just some background, new to FF and got the XT3 (switched from Nikon). I shoot landscape & travel stills, but want to shoot short handheld B-roll/slow-mo cinematic videos; I am brand new to videography and so starting from square one.

I picked up the 10-24 f/4 OIS. I want the 16-55 f/2.8 for the flexibity of wide landscapes & bokeh/shallow DOF stills. My prev APS-C Nikon, I used 12-24mm f/4 & 17-55mm f/2.8 for stills only.

My main question is since XT3 doesn't have IBIS, how essential is it for handheld B-roll vids? Should I get the non-OIS 16-55mm because of its flexiblity for stills & video; esp at 55mm is handheld usable??? Or non-f/2.8 zoom that has OIS for video (kit 18-55 or 18-135mm) AND a wide prime for stills (16 or 23 or 35mm 1.4)? I know this decision is obviously up to me, but again I know nothing about videography & have no experience lol.

Anticipated lens set up:

Still Photography
    -10-24 OIS
    -16 or 23 or 35 1.4 non-OIS

Videography
    -10-24 OIS & 18-55 OIS or 18-135 OIS
    or
    -10-24 OIS & 16-55 2.8 non-OIS

Thank you, I'd really appreciate the input!

2. Mr SMW

Mr SMW Triple Platinum Member

-Return to Top-

Personal opinion, OIS at least, if not IBIS for handheld assuming no gimbal.

Depends on how wide or long you need to go, but can't go far wrong with the 18-55.

And welcome to the forum.

pnwhiker likes this.
  3. Filmick28

Filmick28 Member

-Return to Top-

Hand-held video on small lightweight cameras without a stabilised lens looks horrible.... (and of course "prime" lenses) the pictures always exhibit high frequency shake/wobble due to them not having any mass to adsorb the natural shake of hand-held. Large ENG type cameras (TV cameras) don't have stabilised lenses or IBIS and can be hand-held effectively for wide angle shots (of course, any telephoto shots will exaggerate the shake).

Also it's worth remembering that at the time of filming looking at a tiny LCD screen on a camera that is moving with real life that is moving, you don't have a static frame of reference to gauge how shaky your shots are at the time It's only when you watch them in the edit on an edit monitor that is static on your edit station that you see how exaggerated the shake/movement is.

I've always thought it strange that using stabilised lenses in video is a solution to combat a problem that should never have been there in the first place.

4. pluton

pluton Premium Member

-Return to Top-

Very stable stationary, panning, and tilting shots can be had with a small camera mounted to a 3-point rig like a shoulder pod with 2 front handles. Walking shots are not helped much by this rig, however. If you absolutely need perfectly smooth Stanley Kubrick-level tracking shots, get the XH1 with ibis.