This site is supported by the advertisements on it, please disable your AdBlocker so we can continue to provide you with the quality content you expect.

Lens repair story 16mm F1.4

Discussion in 'Native X-Mount Lens Forum' started by blacksheep, Nov 7, 2018 at 6:33 AM.

1. blacksheep

blacksheep Seeker of Light

-Return to Top-

So I sent my 16 f1.4 in for repair to Fuji New Jersey back in September. I kept getting error messages with it on an XH1 body. And the lens sounded as if it's motor was fried. Fuji estimated repair around $200 USD or so to replace focus motor if that was the problem. I received a lens (mailed to me on 10/26). The lens I received was not my original (serial number verified) but a lens listed as new (and different serial number beginning with 77). Paperwork listed no definitive diagnosis of it's problems. What gives? Was my three year old copy (serial number beginning with 56) ultimately irreparable? I'm very glad to have the lens but was surprised to get a new one (not a refurb as far as I can tell). Any one else care to discuss their repair stories?

2. Wivo

Wivo Member

-Return to Top-

Nice story. How much did you have to pay in the end?

3. fgphoto

fgphoto New Member

-Return to Top-

Fuji gives the option of having a reconditioned lens sent to you in lieu of getting your exact lens back to expedite the repair sometimes. There is actually a check box on the Fujifilm Repair form giving you that choice.

Please login or register to view links

The lack of paperwork or explanation is not surprising...

Fuji makes exceptional cameras but their service department leaves quite a bit to be desired, especially in comparison to Canon and Nikon's pro services. I have a lens at Fuji currently which seems trapped in the limbo which is their repair service. The repair has been paid for but now it just shows "in service" and has for more than two weeks now.

It took a phone call 10 days after they received the lens to find out that it still had not been diagnosed. It then took another week to get the diagnosis and pay for the repair. Now it sits waiting to be repaired and each time I call, I get a different answer as to why it is not fixed and is usually in direct conflict with the answer I was given on the previous call.

Hopefully Fuji will up their repair game so they can offer a more professional repair service on par with other manufacturers... or maybe I just need to invest in doubles of my favorite lenses so I can be without them for a month or more at a time if they ever need repair.

blacksheep and bacil like this.
  4. David Schneider

David Schneider Premium Member

-Return to Top-

So Fuji gave you a new lens! Wow! That's great service!

I've brought two cameras into Fuji in NJ and each time the repair was done in a week or less and both times covered by warranty.

It is not unusual for companies to simply replace a product rather than fixing it; just happened to me with a Nespresso coffee maker.

5. bacil

bacil Premium Member

-Return to Top-

What fgphoto said. I learned it when I repaired my 60mm lens.

6. blacksheep

-Return to Top-

$190 plus tax and shipping so about $220 USD

7. blacksheep

-Return to Top-

Well that's what is on the slip that came with the lens and it is a later model serial number. Maybe it is reconditioned like fgphoto said in his response. Someone from the Repair Center wrote the word "new" and the serial number on the repair slip.

8. JaapD

JaapD Premium Member

-Return to Top-

It could very well be that parts- and service technician labor costs outweigh the internal costs of picking a new lens from their mass production line. In such case it’s for Fuji more profitable to provide you with a new lens.

Regards,
    Jaap.