This site is supported by the advertisements on it, please disable your AdBlocker so we can continue to provide you with the quality content you expect.

Leica-fuji m mount adapter infinity focus problem

Discussion in 'X-Pro2 and X-Pro1' started by CMYK1918, Mar 10, 2018.

1. CMYK1918

CMYK1918 New Member

-Return to Top-

I just bought a Leica 2.8 28mm lens for my x-pro 2 using fuji's Leica-fuji adapter. However, I found when it focuses on infinity, the focus ring on my lens only focuses at between 5 and 10 meters. Is this a problem only for my m mount adapter for everyone? It makes me almost impossible to use trap focus or estimated focus instantly, cos I have to convert the real distance to the wrong distance on my focus ring.

2. Spock66

Spock66 Premium Member

-Return to Top-

Mine is pretty much spot on and have used with several Leica lenses, have you tested the lens on an M mount camera?

3. CMYK1918

CMYK1918 New Member

-Return to Top-

I haven't, cos I don't have one, I may borrow one to test it.

4. Spock66

Spock66 Premium Member

-Return to Top-

Or you could try another Leica lens on the adapter to identify if the problem is with the adapter or the lens.

Just curious why you choose this option rather than the Fuji 27mm f2.8 pancake lens, even used would be around 2-3 times the cost of a new Fuji lens?

Last edited: Mar 10, 2018
  5. Finder

Finder Premium Member

-Return to Top-

Also, infinity is not something that is simply far away. Stars are at infinity, but something on a horizon would not. But I would agree with the post above, you might want to check the lens as well. My Fuji m-mount adapter works with my m-mount lens at infinity.

You can also try this another way. Set your focus to 1m and set a target 1m meter from the sensor plane. If there are similar targets in front and behind the target distance will let you know how far off the scale is. I would not calibrate a lens this way, but It would give you a bit of a reference. This only works at the center of the image wide open. You would still have to figure out if it is the lens or mount, however.

Last edited: Mar 10, 2018
  6. Coppola_art

Coppola_art New Member

-Return to Top-

I know earlier elmarits are incompatible with the Fuji adapter. I believe early series v3 and earlier fall into the "no" category. I think the rear of the lens butts up against the adapter opening. I have a late v3 which is excellent on the Fuji. I love the rendering.

7. fujixacros

fujixacros Premium Member

-Return to Top-

Hello,

Hope it helps.
    Please login or register to view links

8. fujixacros

fujixacros Premium Member

-Return to Top-

Did you get the gauge ?
    The product package contains a gauge made of resin that allows the user to check the compatibility of M Mount lenses with the adapter.

Do you know if your Leica Elmarit 28mm F2.8 is a first version , a 2nd version, a 3rd version ?
    List of compatible lenses (extract)
    Leica M Elmarit M28mmF2.8 (3rd 1979-)* Yes
    Leica M ELMARIT-M 28mmF2.8 ASPH. Yes

*(3rd 1979-) does not mean that the M Mount Adapter is capable of all the lenses after this generation of the model, but only this model.

9. Spock66

Spock66 Premium Member

-Return to Top-

Indeed this will confirm that the lens is physically compatible with the mount and camera. However, you may not get the best optical performance from the lens especially with a wider angle lens.

10. Bud James

Bud James Premium Member

-Return to Top-

Thee is a fix for that. It's called the Leica M10.

Regards,
    Bud James

11. gyoung

gyoung Premium Member

-Return to Top-

Ah yes, such a simple, cost effective solution. Some of us would rather have an Xpro2 than an M10 apart from the cost implications.
    Do you think that your response is even vaguely helpful?

Many adapters give similar problems with MF lenses because they are made too short, but it's not normally reported to be a problem with the expensive Fuji adapter.

Gerry

mikEm13 likes this.
  12. Bud James

Bud James Premium Member

-Return to Top-

I was obviously a joke. Sorry you did't get that.

I purchased the Fuji-brand Leica M adapter to try my lenses on my XPro2 and XT2 bodies. The native f2 Fuji primes were much sharper than the Leica lenses with the adapter. I sent the adapter back then my M10 arrived.

My suggestion is that if you have Leica lenses and don't intend to buy a Leica body, then sell the Leica lenses and buy Fuji XF lenses and pocket the change. Your results will be better and you wallet fuller.

Regards,
    Bud James

13. CMYK1918

CMYK1918 New Member

-Return to Top-

Thanks for your suggestions! Today I've tried my lens on a Leica M and other Leica lenses on my Fuji, and found out that the problem lies on the official m mount adapter, and I found I'm not the only one who encountered with this problem.

Both of them had the same problem.
    I also need to point out that the preference of Leica lens on Fuji cameras is problematic, especially the corners would be smearing. It may because of the arrangement of the microlens on fuji's CMOS are different from the Leica's.

14. CMYK1918

CMYK1918 New Member

-Return to Top-

I
    I'm ready to buy a M10 after a few months.

15. CMYK1918

CMYK1918 New Member

-Return to Top-

The latest version, 2016 version actually. All in all, using leica lens on fuji is such a bad idea, I'm ready to buy a M10.

YogiMik likes this.
  16. YogiMik

YogiMik Premium Member

-Return to Top-

I think, Leica lenses are designed the way to cover up shortcomings of Leica sensor regarding IQ.
    Those lenses don't perform as intended on other camera brands. It's real pleasure to shoot with Leica lens, . .
    but, IQ wise, I don't see any point to pay four figures, just to use it on Fuji camera.
    I'd like to point out, that Fuji's F2 lenses maybe sharper than Leica, on Fuji camera, but it does not even remotely renders so beautifully like Leica.
    F2 in comparison is just a piece of junk, not worth to mention.
    But, if you take Fuji's XF 35/1.4, and compare it with Leica lens on X-Pro2 camera, Fuji lens wins, and it's 6 x cheaper than Leica's equivalent.
    That's my view.

17. Spock66

Spock66 Premium Member

-Return to Top-

Thanks for sharing the video I think it's a good objective assessment, both systems have their strengths and weaknesses.

I do agree there is no real advantage (at least IQ wise) in shooting Leica lenses on a Fuji body.

18. Bud James

Bud James Premium Member

-Return to Top-

I think that the "Fujicron" f2 lenses are a great value with excellent IQ.

After getting the 35mm f2, I sold my 35mm f1.4 because it was not weather sealed, noisy and slow focussing. The f2 version solved these limitations for me.

Regards,
    Bud James

Last edited: Mar 13, 2018
  19. YogiMik

YogiMik Premium Member

-Return to Top-

Lack of WR, lens noise is not limitation for me. Optical limitation of F2 is.
    When comes to AF speed . . . on X-Pro2 makes practically no difference. In contrary, in low light, 35/1.4 focuses faster, and more accurate than F2. Beautiful rendering, and one stop faster makes for me a huge difference. I did test and comparison, before I sold F2.
    XF 35/1.4 is optically the best Fuji lens so far. F2 is garbage. I regret wasted time on this lens so much, that I've stopped buying any new Fuji lenses, unless Fuji will come up with something really good. But, I've lost confidence. It will be very hard to convince me.

20. CMYK1918

CMYK1918 New Member

-Return to Top-

Fuji's 35 f2 is my first fuji lens, and it's still one of my favourite lenses. However, the new 23 f2 and 18 f2 are not as good as 35. My 2nd favourite lens is 23 f1.4.