This site is supported by the advertisements on it, please disable your AdBlocker so we can continue to provide you with the quality content you expect.

Just Hangin' Out

Discussion in 'Wildlife-Nature' started by Ryukyu, Apr 15, 2018.

1. Ryukyu

Ryukyu Member

-Return to Top-

I acquired a used X-T1 to sort of dip my toes into the mirrorless camera waters, and the only lens that I currently own is the 18-55.
    I've been pretty amazed with this lens. Definitely a sharp one under the right conditions.

Just Hangin' Out.jpg

CWRailman and Mike Gorman like this.
  2. Mark2009

Mark2009 Premium Member

-Return to Top-

The 18-55 is really a great lens. Depending on your needs, pick up a used 35 or 50 f2.....used around $350, both super sharp and super fast focus.

3. Gaston

Gaston Premium Member

-Return to Top-

If he finds a 35 or 50 f/2 it will not be the ones I have. They are both really excellent and I will not sell them.

4. Angus

Angus Premium Member

-Return to Top-

The 18-55 is a fine lens.
    If you are thinking of a prime, the choice is amazing and you can’t go wrong with any, there’s a prime to suit everyone’s photographic needs

5. Angus

Angus Premium Member

-Return to Top-

The 18-55 is a fine lens.
    If you are thinking of a prime, the choice is amazing and you can’t go wrong with any, there’s a prime to suit everyone’s photographic needs

6. Alice

Alice Premium Member

-Return to Top-

I vote for the 35 f1.4 or 56 f1.2. I have them both and they are beautiful. The 80mm macro is a great lens that will let you get up close, but takes beautiful landscapes, too. When I took mine to a park last autumn, I shot blooms, a squirrel at 6 feet, and a landscape of stream, geese, trees. Everything I shot was sharp and spectacular.
    But you do have to shell out the money.

Mike Gorman likes this.
  7. Ryukyu

Ryukyu Member

-Return to Top-

Thanks for the replies. I'm impressed with the 18-55 for sure.
    @Alice I see in another thread that you had the T1 and now use the T2. Have you done much in low light situations, and if so, did you notice a difference in low light, high iso results from the two cameras?
    I like to shoot night cityscapes, and other low light subjects like inside old churches. I'm used to using full frame to get pretty good results, and that's been a concern of mine.

8. Alice

Alice Premium Member

-Return to Top-

No, I seldom shoot low light so I can’t say about the differences between the T1 and 2. I have a long-standing abhorrence of noise starting with the great Nikon D70. Anything over iso 400, forgetaboutit.
    I’ve always been terrified since that if I tried high iso, I’d ruin an important shot.
    Funny, that. I always climbed trees, scampered over roofs, did some whitewater, snow skiing, etc, but scared of high iso? Yep. I have gone 800 with Fuji, gritting my teeth.

Mike Gorman likes this.
  9. Mike Gorman

Mike Gorman Premium Member

-Return to Top-

Alice, it’s time to gird your loins and set the ISO dial to the little red “A” and do a bit of plumping, you might just be surprised. :D

Last edited: Apr 20, 2018 at 8:48 AM
  10. Alice

Alice Premium Member

-Return to Top-

Don’t know about that, Mike. :)

11. Mike Gorman

Mike Gorman Premium Member

-Return to Top-

Alice, I’m not sure “plumping” was the right word now! But give the A a try, I find it does a really good job of controlling the noise levels, but I’m not hyper critical. Also you can customise auto ISO to if you wish to cut it back even more. I’m not a fan of flash so it helps me to be able not to have to use artificial lighting!