This site is supported by the advertisements on it, please disable your AdBlocker so we can continue to provide you with the quality content you expect.

japan or philipin?

Discussion in 'Native X-Mount Lens Forum' started by siamak, Aug 19, 2017.

1. siamak

siamak New Member

-Return to Top-

i recently have bought a xt20 with 18-55 kit witch has been made in philipin... all the fujilenses is gonna made in philipin or just some especiale(kit lens)?

2. runswithsizzers

runswithsizzers Premium Member

-Return to Top-

I believe the XF 18-55mm F2.8-4 is made in at least two different factories. The one that came with my X-E2 is marked "Made in Japan" but I've been told the kit lenses that comes with the X-T10/X-T20 are usually made elsewhere - I thought China, but maybe it is the Philippines (?)

My XC 16-50mm f/3.5-5.6 OIS II, my XC 50-230mm F4.5-6.7, and my XF 27mm F2.8 are all marked "Made in China"

I wouldn't worry about it as far as quality is concerned - they are all great lenses.

What is less clear: Do workers in China and the Philippines have equivalent wages, hours and working conditions compared to Japan? I hope so, but I really don't know. Then again, I really don't know how life for a factory worker in Japan compares to the USA or Europe. This global economy is tricky business.

siamak likes this.
  3. fujixacros

fujixacros Premium Member

-Return to Top-

some lenses

XF 18-55mm F2.8-4 R LM OIS
    XF 27 mm F2.8
    XF 18-135mm F3.5-5.6 R LM OIS WR

Please, see on fujirumors

June 9, 2017
    Please login or register to view links

June 8, 2017

July 16, 2013

Last edited: Aug 19, 2017
    LionSpeed, runswithsizzers and siamak like this.
  4. runswithsizzers

runswithsizzers Premium Member

-Return to Top-

Thanks for the informative links! One question I had was answered in those links, that is: Does Fuji actually own and maintain their lens production facility or do they farm out the manufacturing to a 3rd party lens maker? Glad they keep it in house.

Pentax has also chosen the Philippines for the assembly of some of their dSLRs (but the Pentax lenses I have all say "Assembled in Vietnam").

After a little Googling, I believe workers in the Philippines probably have legal protections to prevent dangerous working conditions, child labor, and excessive hours, and also have access to at least some benefits like minimal medical care, minimum wages, overtime pay, holidays, etc.

Then again, what does "legal protection" mean in a country where the Duterte government sponsors street executions of suspected drug sellers and users without arrest or trial? (Read <Please login or register to view links> by Amnesty International.) It's hard to predict how long a country can remain a stable environment for manufacturing when the government of that country is blatantly abusing the human rights of it's citizens. Honestly, I wish Fuji and Pentax were paying taxes in some other country.

Last edited: Aug 19, 2017
  5. fujixacros

fujixacros Premium Member

-Return to Top-

About some Fujinon lenses and Fujifilm X-A line

6. nameofrose

nameofrose New Member

-Return to Top-

I was suprised and disappointed to find my 35mmf2 that was delivered this week is made in the Philippines. I thought the WR f2 line was all made in Japan, it looks like it is moving across. I fully understand this is a mid to low range lens, and I understand that the X-system is more in demand than a few years ago and perhaps the Japanese factory cannot keep up at these prices. The lens was sold as part of an X-Pro2 kit offer with Black Friday discounts, perhaps some stock of Made in Japan lenses remain to be sold at full price...

7. nameofrose

nameofrose New Member

-Return to Top-

I suppose what I wanted to put to the forum was: has anybody bought a 35mmf2 this year that is Made in Japan? Or are we to assume that as of 2018 the 23/35/50mmf2 production is now all in the Philippines?

notr.

8. Brian1940

Brian1940 Premium Member

-Return to Top-

I have 14mmf2.8,18mmf2 23mm f2 ,27mmf2.8,35mmf2, 50mmf2,10-24mm and 18-55mm, all made in Japan.
    Interesting the 18-55mm is far better operationally then a friends, his was part of a kit, mine was bought as a lens in it's own box at full retail. His lens was made in China, mine in Japan.

I wonder if "kit" lenses are produced as such.

9. fzdp

fzdp Premium Member

-Return to Top-

I have the 18-55 made in Philippines, bought with x-t20, no complaints or issues. Nice lens.
    But 16-55 is from Japan.
    What is bothering you? ;)

10. Spock66

Spock66 Premium Member

-Return to Top-

I suspect 'made' means where the lens was assembled and tested, I suspect the component parts especially the lens elements are all made in the same factory.

11. Dan Hillier

Dan Hillier Premium Member

-Return to Top-

I've often thought of outsourcing some work overseas, and the Philippines usual tops my list for the above reasons. Plus, they have a generally high level of education, good English skills, and all the Filipinos that I've met have been good people. I'd have no qualms about products made in the Philippines. FWIW, Barack Obama issued weekly kill lists and nobody seemed fazed about that.