This site is supported by the advertisements on it, please disable your AdBlocker so we can continue to provide you with the quality content you expect.

Issues not being recognized by the company

Discussion in 'Fujifilm X News & Rumors' started by Dan Chung, Nov 29, 2018.

1. Dan Chung

Dan Chung New Member

-Return to Top-

My x100f aperture is sticking. It's under warranty so I sent it to Fuji in NJ. Hopefully it will be fixed. That is not my issue. My issue is that when I called the tech people and asked about the issue, they said that there was no issue with that lens cluster. It's interesting because I did see a good number of people with x100f that had this issue. The rep said that he doesn't believe in those forums.

Here is the kicker. I used to have the original x100 when it first came out. That camera had the same sticky aperture issue after about 6 months of use. When I talked to the rep about that camera years ago, he mentioned that the cameras that was not for US market had some issues of aperture sticking. So there was a known issue with that camera. And here we are many years later, the same issue. And this rep is not saying that there is an issue? Come on Fuji! He just dodged that question about the past x100 by saying that since they don't deal with the x100, he doesn't know the story behind it.

If fuji wants a loyal customer base, they need to make nice reliable cameras. But when there is an issue, own up to it and fix it. Right now it just looks like they're sweeping under the rug. Fuji film looks like they want to move into the professional market recently with their medium formats. But my experience with this particular cameras over the years is making me doubt their approach to dealing with customers.

2. Chuck Carstensen

Chuck Carstensen Premium Member

-Return to Top-

3. Shoeless

Shoeless Member

-Return to Top-

Not encouraging...

4. Susan Eisert

Susan Eisert Premium Member

-Return to Top-

Well I had an issue that Fuji recognized. The eyepiece on my X-Pro 2 fell off. Fuji immediately sent me a new one.
    That happened when the camera was new. Well it just happened again. I had to bring the camera to Fuji and it was fixed fixed so the eyepiece could’t fall off again. The camera was also checked out and cleaned including the sensor. Also all this was done at no charge.

5. steve

steve Member

-Return to Top-

"It's interesting because I did see a good number of people with Please login or register to view links that had this issue. "

What forums? Can you provide the links? I'd like to see them.....

Jeff123 and Richard_R like this.
  6. streetsntravel

streetsntravel Premium Member

-Return to Top-

Welcome to the forum and to have this be your second post is sadly not the way we want your experience with Fuji to start.

Ouch, I had the original X100 and the aperture went sticky on a three week trip to Italy. I took several days images at f/2.

I had a love/hate relationship with that camera, but I still have it - it works...... mostly. I still try to use it but it is highlighting the technology "gap". I do use it zone focused to avoid it's true weak spot - AF.

While I've gone to the XT2 and XP2 for most of my photography, I still miss the very versatile small footprint of the X100. I almost pushed the order button on the X100F this week during the sales, but the $100 discount on an additionally inflated price just didn't settle well. Had I done that and then found it was going to (possibly) have yet another bout of SAB - I do think that would have killed all the good will that Kaizan has built up - even if that too is a bit hard to swallow at times.

I hope for you there is some way to ease the pain and possibly the sense of betrayment you must be going through. There is IMO absolutely no reason why Fuji should not be standing behind their products to the satisfaction of their customers. News travels fast these days. There are other choices.

You may have just gotten an irritable person on the phone. The fact that it's under warranty is good and for that fact alone you should have gotten a very encouraging "send this to me with this RMA and we'll look at it immediately". Now even when they do fix it, this story is out there and you are still "p*****" at having been given the run-ar0und, and for no good reason or benefit to anyone but the guy on the phone who may have just unloaded because he got a traffic ticket or something. Hopefully this was one of those phone conversations that was recorded and there is a bit of corrective action going on in customer service land as you wait for your resolution.

7. visorvet

visorvet Premium Member

-Return to Top-

I’ve had the x100s, x100t, and now x100F with zero problem.
    As for companies not fessing up to “issues” this is pretty much standard practice across all industries until the volume of evidence becomes overpowering. I have never needed to send in any of my Fuji cameras for warranty work, but as long as they take care of the problem I don’t think I’d much care what their official line on the subject is.

8. Richard_R

Richard_R Eclectic eccentric Staff Member

-Return to Top-

To me the issue seems to be the individual the OP was talking to rather than Fuji per se. The problem of course is that the individual represents Fuji.
    If I were the OP I would ring again and talk to somebody else or ask to talk to a supervisor.
    As to "good number of people with Please login or register to view links that had this issue" I think I can recall one other post with a similar problem on this site with the X100F but I would not say in any way this was a "good number of people".
    My own experience with Fuji in Australia with warranty or after sales support has been been somewhere between very good and excellent.

bralk likes this.
  9. JRick

JRick Premium Member

-Return to Top-

"It's interesting because I did see a good number of people with"
    - without some concrete links this comment might fall into the same categories like "i've heard that.....", it's been noted", "i saw somewhere that..." etc

i have still never seen a link where fuji says the X100F lens is not optimized for shooting up close at F2 and advises against doing that

then again, like most, i don't try and check all the postings about it on social media and tend to not believe opinions unless they are well documented with what i perceive as hard core facts

..... not all service reps are created equal :)

10. Richard_R

-Return to Top-

I have never seen that in official documentation but I have seen and read bloggers and X-Photographers who have made the comment. It is I think accepted that the X100 series lens is soft at f2 so it stands to reason that shooting close at f2 with a lens known to be soft is not going to produce pin sharp images.

11. JRick

JRick Premium Member

-Return to Top-

my reference to the "X100F soft at close range at F2" was just an example of what "i've heard" .....i've read the same comments here as well as from others, but never seen a test, so i'll consider it an opinion rather than a fact and leave it at that
    .....i've never bothered to test mine because i've never had a reason to shoot that close at F2

my X100F has been rock solid and i have used/abused it for almost a year now. i'll be sure and report any customer svc rep problems if/when i have them :)

12. bralk

bralk Premium Member

-Return to Top-

Indeed

13. versesinanelegiacmetre

versesinanelegiacmetre Premium Member

-Return to Top-

Is this the link you were looking for. While not X100F, it's the original page regarding the self same lens in the X100:

Please login or register to view links

This is the original X100 special site, now stored within the Internet's archive.

Last edited: Nov 30, 2018
    Jeff123 likes this.
  14. Shoeless

Shoeless Member

-Return to Top-

In the end, this probably makes the most sense.

15. Dan Chung

Dan Chung New Member

-Return to Top-

Here's some links about the sticky apertures.

I understand that some links above talks about the x100, not x100f. But my original point that I was trying to make in this post was that fuji is not recognizing this issue. The service rep may have had a bad day, but he is the face of the company when he talks to the customers. And basically he said, there is no issue, and if there was one, he doesn't know about it so he can't comment. As the owner of 2 versions of these cameras having the same exact issue 5 years apart, I'm frustrated that I don't have a clear answer. 'Is this camera is going to bonk out after another 6 months?' If they are going to just replace it with a different cluster I will bet that it will get sticky again. This is why the recognition of the issue is so important. If they all turn a blind eye to this issue, then they will just keep replacing it with other sticky lens. Also, by the second time around, it will be out of warranty... by the way I think the lens cluster exchange costs $800 from my earlier discussion with the rep that I talked to about the first x100 stickiness.

I've enjoyed fuji's cameras for many decades now. They make innovative cameras with excellent lens. So when I saw this camera, I was very excited. When the first x100 broke, I couldn't say that fuji overall is a bad company. I was just unlucky. But when it happened again after 4 iteration of the same camera, I don't think its luck. they need to recognize this.

16. Richard_R

-Return to Top-

I assume you realise that both links you have posted refer to posts by the same person on different sites so that is not two issues it is one.

17. cug

cug Premium Member

-Return to Top-

Plus my X100F opens up just like what he calls the "sick" one. It does move just fine on half press of the shutter. So part of that movie is just wrong. They might be sticky, but don't get excited if the camera just "pops open" when turned on.

18. cug

cug Premium Member

-Return to Top-

Always good to know what you're talking about, so maybe you just shouldn't talk about it?

f/5.6:

[​IMG]

f/2:

[​IMG]

And of course, focus was properly set both times.

The lens is perfectly sharp at f/2 and a bit of distance (this one here is at about 1.5m) as this 100% center crop shows (JPEG SOOC, noise due to ISO1250 and very low noise reduction):

[​IMG]

19. Jeff123

Jeff123 Premium Member

-Return to Top-

That is preposterous. No camera manufacturers (including Fujifilm) build physically different versions of the same model for the US versus non-US market. Fuji X100* bodies are all built in the same Taiwa facility by the same technicians under the same QC procedures with the same components. The OP is insinuating some type of grey market conspiracy where the US somehow gets superior products. I sincerely doubt that the Fujifilm customers who live within walking distance of the factory nor those is any other part of the world would tolerate that. It would be cost ineffective and to produce different units with different mechanical internals for different markets. It simply makes no sense to suggest it.

pw-pix, cug and merlinus like this.