This site is supported by the advertisements on it, please disable your AdBlocker so we can continue to provide you with the quality content you expect.

Image Quality problem

Discussion in 'X-T3, X-T2, X-T1, X-T20, X-T10, X-T100' started by Ron Emmons, Nov 7, 2018 at 8:48 AM.

1. Ron Emmons

Ron Emmons New Member

-Return to Top-

My X-T10 is set to take fine jpegs and RAW images, but when I upload my images, I find that in many cases, it only records a fine jpeg, but no RAW file. Has anyone else come across this problem, and is there anything you can do about it? Could it be that it won't take RAW files on auto (or manual) settings?

I also wonder whether in fact I need to take RAW files these days. I sell my images to magazines and websites, and find that everyone is happy with jpegs that I tweak in Lightroom, so maybe I don't even need to bother with RAW files any more. Any thoughts?

2. Brian1940

Brian1940 Premium Member

-Return to Top-

I have come to exactly the same conclusion albeit in reverse. I have given up on JPEG, the raw from LR is so good.

3. Brian1940

Brian1940 Premium Member

-Return to Top-

X Pro2 raw loaded into LR, nothing done, image never left the Library module,

then exported using LR resize thingy.

untitled (1 of 2)-4.jpg

Now in my opinion this isn't that bad.

Of course I don't sell any of my stuff, only got myself to please.

bobjar, niggyl, bralk and 4 others like this.
  4. Demoz

Demoz Premium Member

-Return to Top-

The camera would record raws in single shot and continous shooting drive mode. In some of the other options like advanced filters, double exposure f.e. it records only jpegs as far as I know.

5. Richard_R

Richard_R Eclectic eccentric Staff Member

-Return to Top-

Many of the Fuji scene modes record in jpeg only. Check your settings you are probably using something that does not record in RAW.

Shadowside and CWRailman like this.
  6. fujixacros

fujixacros Premium Member

-Return to Top-

Hello,

If you do not see any RAW file, with a file explorer, when you expect to find it, maybe it is as explained above, restrictions (see the X-T10 Owners Manual, page 153)

Fujifilm X-T10 Restriction on Camera Settings.png

kerrydeare likes this.
  7. versesinanelegiacmetre

versesinanelegiacmetre Member

-Return to Top-

In your LR settings you may have JPG and RAW to be treated as one. Uncheck that option.

8. fujixacros

fujixacros Premium Member

-Return to Top-

If you can choose setting JPEG + RAW, so that's mean that you haven't any restriction.

But in this case, please look with a file explorer if you can see RAW files.
    If there are many of them, please see with the settings of the software (Lightroom ?) You must probably change them.

9. Ron Emmons

Ron Emmons New Member

-Return to Top-

Many thanks to all for your comments. The answer seems to be on p.153 of the manual, which suggests that Auto combined with any scene position cannot produce a RAW file (#6 above). Am I reading this correctly?

10. F2Bthere

F2Bthere Premium Member

-Return to Top-

The answers above have done a great job of explaining why you might not be getting RAW files or why you are not seeing them on your computer.

RAW files are worth having for many reasons and the camera should be able to record them.

If an image has an exposure issue, such as a large dynamic range in the scene (very bright lights and very dark shadows) you can often still get a good image out of it if you have the RAW file. It is also possible to recover some images when there is an exposure error.

If an image has a white balance issue, it is better if you have a RAW file.

If for any other reason you want to recover the content of an image which has more complex issues.

If at a later time you want to create a finer rendering of an image or change your mind about how you want to interpret an image. Or you want to create a fine print.

If you end up having an image or collection of images which takes on a greater meaning when looking back at them (you win a Pulitzer Prize or the like, someone decides to publish a retrospective of your work, you have captured images which have historical importance or of someone who turns out to be important from the perspective of history, you capture some rare event, etc), it would be nice to have the RAW files.

I went through a phase where I recorded only jpegs and regretted that I did not have RAW files for some images I had recorded.

YogiMik likes this.
  11. Chuck Carstensen

Chuck Carstensen Premium Member

-Return to Top-

If you are actually selling your images why are you not shooting with one of the Fujifilm cameras that have the 24MP X-Trans CMOS III sensor? You will get pro quality imaging shooting only jpgs. The advantage is you will have a fraction of the post processing time at your fingertips. There is only the downside of not having the correct exposure at the start.

12. cug

cug Premium Member

-Return to Top-

If your JPEGs are good enough for selling and everybody (including you) is happy with the outcome, why take the burden of shooting raw? But you should make sure that this is actually true. I'm generally taking "raw + JPEG Fine" as I never use any of the modes that don't produce raw files. Sometimes I take the JPEG, sometimes I take the raw file and invest in "developing" it in Lightroom.

Sometimes I start developing the raw and then go back and do a comparison to the JPEG file and pick what I like better. In general, I like the higher dynamic range and more control I get from the raw files, but sometimes I'm just in the mood to shoot b&w JPEGs and these are great straight out of camera. Color – not so much.

So, overall it depends on what you and your audience likes. Only you can make that call.

F2Bthere, Richard_R and YogiMik like this.
  13. Richard_R

Richard_R Eclectic eccentric Staff Member

-Return to Top-

Camera sensor size and image processing engine has nothing much to do with the visual quality of images. Most of the internationally famous images we all associate with photography were taken on cameras that technically were nowhere near as good as even the most basic product available today.

F2Bthere, YogiMik, LionSpeed and 2 others like this.
  14. Chuck Carstensen

Chuck Carstensen Premium Member

-Return to Top-

Richard, that is elementary. I am saying if your image creation purpose is professional use the best technology tool you can afford. Digital camera output centers around the sensor design That is only my humble opinion.

15. cug

cug Premium Member

-Return to Top-

Hmm. I'd get the cheapest one that does the job to the clients requirements and my own desires. Getting the best I can afford, doesn't make any sense. That's a hobbyist thinking. Pros think it terms of what gets the job done, not what is the most expensive that they can afford.

Last edited: Nov 7, 2018 at 10:05 PM
  16. YogiMik

YogiMik Premium Member

-Return to Top-

+1

Richard_R likes this.
  17. F2Bthere

F2Bthere Premium Member

-Return to Top-

I have both generations (Xpro1 and Xpro2) and frequently enough shoot them side by side. If my expectation is large prints, I do prefer the Xpro2, since it has some advantage (I also prefer it if I am using manual focus). But I'm not sure I consider the difference significant for magazine size prints, given that both are using the same lenses.

If the image quality really needs to be better than the 16mp, I think the GFX would be the way to go. That does make a visible difference and you can notice it even in web images. I'm not sure the number of pixels matters at web image size, because the lenses are astounding, too. I think it is due, at least in part, to a combination of the lenses and the color transitions, but teasing out these details is challenging.

I tend to agree with the points made above...the 16 is solid beyond the needs of magazine publishing (to be blunt, many magazines are not published to a high enough print standard to do full justice to the Fuji images. There are exceptions.)

hobbyhorse, YogiMik and Richard_R like this.
  18. MarcBC

MarcBC Well-Known Member

-Return to Top-

I am so happy to see someone write this. Whilst I am merely an amateur, I do smile at the “I must spend the most money” thinking with no or limited commerciality.

19. Ron Emmons

Ron Emmons New Member

-Return to Top-

Thanks again for all these interesting comments. I guess I shouldn't give up on RAW files, but it seems from the restrictions listed in the camera manual (#6 above) that if I use Auto settings with any scene position/mode, it won't render a RAW file. Does that mean that everyone who shoots RAW images is using manual settings?

20. cug

cug Premium Member

-Return to Top-

No, just that people don’t use the scene modes.

YogiMik likes this.