This site is supported by the advertisements on it, please disable your AdBlocker so we can continue to provide you with the quality content you expect.

Iceland Photo Challenges

Discussion in 'Meetups, Photo Walks, Tours, Workshops' started by llevine, Dec 6, 2017.

1. llevine

llevine Premium Member

-Return to Top-

The December 2017 magazine, FujiLove, includes my article and images called "Iceland Photo Challenges". You can access my article here:
    Please login or register to view links

I have tried to include personal tips of what to expect, when taking images, in Iceland's special type of weather.

The link to the complete magazine, on the website, is for paid subscribers only. The FujiLove website has great information for Fujifilm X users. It is accessed at Please login or register to view links

Levine Iceland Article
    LANCERLEVINE.SMUGMUG.COM

Last edited: Dec 7, 2017
  2. David Schneider

David Schneider Premium Member

-Return to Top-

Isn't Jorkulsarlon one of the great places to visit with a camera!!

3. fugu 82-2

fugu 82-2 Well-Known Member

-Return to Top-

Awesome images and great tips!

4. Zurubi

Zurubi Premium Member

-Return to Top-

Great article! Was in Iceland last August and since then I have been saying that this is the most beautiful place that i've ever seen. And a photographer's paradise!

5. dko22

dko22 Premium Member

-Return to Top-

I was in Iceland about the same time as you, I guess, namely 10th-24th July doing a round trip. I found the weather actually better than expected with only one day with significant real rain, namely 12th in the SW. The north was actually warm with over 20C a couple of days. Nevertheless, the conditions were often cloudy with light breaks making it difficult to capture the special subtle light that was there at times though in general I was happy the way my X-Pro2 dealt with it. Quite a few images, mainly with the 55-200, were not optimally sharp but this was invariably in low contrast, tricky lighting or in volcanic areas where steam may have confused the AF system. I still sometimes wonder whether the 50-140 would be a good investment but am rather put of by both weight and price.

I enjoyed the article and like the way you have not tried to over-process your images unlike many of Iceland you see around and certainly agree about the beauty of the landscape. Some areas, especially the east, are reminiscent of Scotland but it's on a grander scale and of course has the added geothermal attractions and glaciers in much of the rest of the country. Some of the higher plateau areas, on the other hand, were rather bleak and featureless and this could go on some time when driving through.

Incidentally, the new Icelandic government are proposing a tourist tax to make it even more expensive! But I still hope to go back in summer 2019 to see the west which was largely missing from this year's itinerary.

6. llevine

llevine Premium Member

-Return to Top-

It is a magical place. The Icelandic names are pretty difficult, for most of us, to remember. For those who don't know, this is the glacier lagoon which carries the smaller icebergs down a river to the ocean. We visited it, after dinner, for two days in a row. In July, sunset was around 11:45pm. The first day we had lots of clouds which blocked the sun. It was also very windy and cold (for me). The second day, the sun was out and the wind had died down and the weather was much better. I took lots of images.

7. llevine

llevine Premium Member

-Return to Top-

Thanks. It's hard not to take great images in Iceland.

8. llevine

llevine Premium Member

-Return to Top-

There are many beautiful places but Iceland is certainly right there at the top. Such a diverse country with volcanos, hot springs, mountains, lava fields, rivers, glaciers, icebergs, birds, ocean views, horses, sheep, pastures, beautiful skies, snow, etc. I could keep going. In addition the people are wonderfully friendly and the food is very good.

9. llevine

llevine Premium Member

-Return to Top-

I was there from July 3rd to July 16th. I actually found the weather colder than expected but I live in El Paso, Texas and I think my skin has gotten thinner due to the wonderful weather we normally have. Although it was Iceland's summer, there was not one day that I did not wear long johns. Our tour guide, Skarpi from Arctic Exposure did a pretty skillful job in keeping us moving in the best possible weather patterns. We started to get some better weather towards the second week of our trip.

I used the 50-140 quite a bit. It is heavy but I used to have a Nikon D4 with a 70-200 f2.8 so the fuji 50-140 was downsizing for me. I did not have trouble with the AF system in decent light conditions. I did struggle when the light was low and I was shooting birds. I don't have a 55-200.

Post processing images from Iceland could easily be overdone. I don't like the cartoonish HDR that I sometimes see, but that is my opinion. Others may disagree.

I did not know about the proposed tourist tax. They may feel that they have been so successful in promoting tourism that they won't get push back. Thanks for your comments. Maybe I'll see you there in the future.

10. dko22

dko22 Premium Member

-Return to Top-

There are suggestions that Iceland is struggling to cope with the huge influx of tourists over the past 2-3 years especially but nevertheless, not everything is going smoothly -- the famous whale-watching tours in the north are not selling so well because they are perceived as simply too pricey. But the friendliness of the Icelanders will certainly contribute towards folk returning. As to the weather, it was certainly better in the second half of July than the first so I did a bit better than you. But we have rather different expectations -- In Stuttgart where I mainly live now, temperatures over 30C are not uncommon in the summer and that's often quite unpleasant, esp. when it's high humidity. I expect the air is drier in Texas but I don't think I could stand the summer temperatures!

11. llevine

llevine Premium Member

-Return to Top-

Texas is pretty big. I live in El Paso which is in the far southwest portion of the state. It is in the high desert. Our summers are quite hot, around 40 degrees C (105 degrees F) during the day. It cools down considerably in the evening. The normal summer humidity is around 14% so it is quite comfortable in the shade.