This site is supported by the advertisements on it, please disable your AdBlocker so we can continue to provide you with the quality content you expect.

I feel a project coming on

Discussion in 'Street-City-Architecture' started by Tim Sewell, Jan 11, 2018.

1. Tim Sewell

Tim Sewell Premium Member

-Return to Top-

While bemoaning the fact that I'm chained to my desk for the entirety of any weekday's daylight hours and having also resolved to try very high ISOs at the weekend, in daylight, I suddenly remembered that the upper decks of the many buses that pass my house are level with my window. 200mm Tamron Adaptall secured, 12800 ISO with a tweaked Classic Chrome and I think I like this setup and have a ready made project outside my window. I think I'll call it On The Buses.

Please login or register to view links
    Hove, UK

Ron P, Illumidata, pfogle and 3 others like this.
  2. Tim Sewell

-Return to Top-

And another - just because I can:

Please login or register to view links

AdrianG and trainer like this.
  3. trainer

trainer Premium Member

-Return to Top-

I think it's an interesting project. Interesting frames with the windows. It's a bit like shooting animals at the zoo. Homosapiens in their cages. Have fun with it.

Illumidata and Robmas4229 like this.
  4. Robmas4229

Robmas4229 Premium Member

-Return to Top-

Although I “liked” your photos, I can’t help feeling guilty for doing so.

It’s not like these folks chose to travel so close to your home which would give you rights to their images, as they have no control over the public transportation systems.

But by the same token, you have every right to capture any image from the confines of your home, no?

I guess it’s okay as long as these people give you permission to publish their images on the internet. It still works like that right?

Not attacking you as I just really want to understand what I can, and can not post on forums such as this with regards to recognizable persons.

Just raising the question as it has always been a concern as to what I post on this and perhaps other similar forums.

5. pfogle

pfogle Puzzled

-Return to Top-

If you're looking at these subjects as animals or people deprived of freedom, then that is your projection, not the OP. For me, I love this sort of photography, I view it not as voyeuristic, but as an anthropological study of what it means to be human in urban spaces.

** Now, am I being serious? ;-)

trainer likes this.
  6. Tim Sewell

-Return to Top-

I don't lay any claim to being a 'street photographer', but that is essentially what these images are. I don't have a problem posting them and, legalistically, one cannot have a reasonable expectation of privacy when on public transport. Please login or register to view links!

trainer and Robmas4229 like this.
  7. Robmas4229

Robmas4229 Premium Member

-Return to Top-

Please don't misunderstand my comments. I am relatively new to photography compared to most of you on this forum. I've just always wondered where the line is drawn with regards to posting photos of recognizable faces. Remember, I too "liked" your images. Just trying to learn about what's acceptable, what's not and why.Thanks for your understanding.

trainer likes this.
  8. Tim Sewell

-Return to Top-

Sorry if I came across as snippy - it wasn't my intention. To clarify: in UK law (which is all that concerns me) you're free to photograph anything you like in public (or on private property with permission) and to publish for editorial use. Editorial use basically covers pretty much the whole gamut of things the average photographer is likely to want to do except for one specific use case. If the image is being used commercially - that is, to sell a product, or a service other than the photographer's own photography service - a model release must be obtained from anybody in the image who is recognisable.

So that's the legal side - what about morality/ethics? My view has always been that it does no harm to anyone for photographers to continue as they have since Bresson and before, which is to document the world about them and publish the results. To object to that has always struck me as misguided; but now, when we surrender so much of our privacy to social media, where our every move across the city is recorded on a thousand CCTV systems and where people are snapping away with their phones at anything that moves (although even more, sadly, at themselves; pouting), I can't regard it as anything less than ludicrous.

So post away - if it's a good photo we all want to see it.

Last edited: Jan 12, 2018
    Kirstybell and Robmas4229 like this.
  9. pfogle

pfogle Puzzled

-Return to Top-

Actually, it's all about intent. IF the pictures are published, you would have trouble if 1) the photos are used for promoting a product, or other commercial use, OR if they are used in a way that shows the subject as representative of a group. A successful case was brought in US where an image of a black person crossing a street was used in a story about minority workers. Your biggest risk is in using inappropriate captions, rather than the photos themselves.

Tim Sewell likes this.