This site is supported by the advertisements on it, please disable your AdBlocker so we can continue to provide you with the quality content you expect.

How to marry Fuji and Canon systems with Godox and not rob a bank?

Discussion in 'Fuji X Flash and Artificial Lighting (LED, etc.)' started by approved, Aug 6, 2017.

1. approved

approved New Member

-Return to Top-

Hey guys,

can you advice on the following situation: I have Fuji 100t and Canon 5dm3. I use both. Canon is the main camera for indor and home-studio strobist-type tasks. I use simple manual flashes and I also have canon 580ExII (use it from time to time oncamera for quick type of shooting). i use youngnuo 602 transmitters (so i need to contorol flash power manually).
    So i want:
    1) to control flashes easier dialing from the transmitter
    2) get TTL with remote flashes.
    3) Also HSS for Fuji will be nice to have. I may use 100t indoor but I dont think i need oncamera flash for it (kinda nice to have)
    4) I dont want to invest a lot in Fuji - i'm happy with 100t and swithching the systems will be too expensive. I dont want to sell 580exII. I also want to make a flash kit which will be mostly overlapping for use with Fuji and Canon and not bying too many pieces of equipment which can be used only with single system. I need AD200 as the main light and i would need 1 additional (for rim/background) and I will continue using 580exII, so 3 lights in total.

so I was thinking of the following "kits". Price is relative, taken from ebay
    1. AD200 (~300$). Will be a must-have flash.

(2.a) X1T-F (42$), X1T-C+X1R-C(~80$), TT685 (Fuji??) - 110$. 232$ in total. X1R-C will be used on 580EXII. What is not quite clear - will TT685F work properly from X1T-C and provide ETTL?

(2.b) TT350F (85$), X1T-C+X1R-C(~80$). 165$ in total, but I will get less power (basically the difference between 350 and 685). Also will tt350F work properly with X1T-C and provide eTTL?

am i missing better scenarios?
    thanks a lot for your help in advance

2. elfroggio

elfroggio New Member

-Return to Top-

Hi,

I'm in almost the same boat with Fuji & Canon. Flash is very important to me.

Which system is more important to you (flash wise)? This determines the base. For me it's still Canon.
    • TT685C for Canon: hotshoe or remote, used mostly for events and cats
    • TT350F for Fuji hot shoe mostly used to open shadows (portraits).
    • X1T-C for the Canon and it can control HSS & TTTL for the TT685C,TT350F and the 580EXII (as a slave/manual)
    • X1T-F for the Fuji to control HSS & TTTL. The TT350F (group A) and the TT685C (group B) with the 580EXII as a slave/manual
    I do not THINK that the x100T does HSS (I don't have one), the X-PRO2 does HSS & TTL and the godoxes works with both TTL and HSS see: Please login to view links (my website)

Canadian $: Just under $400 with Amazon.ca spent over 1 1/2 year.

3. approved

approved New Member

-Return to Top-

thanks a lot, so your scenario matches mine and yes, Canon is more important for me, FUJI is a pure fun.

your kit makes sens to me, just instead of TT685C i would have 580EXII and X1T receiver.

and thanks for confirming that Canon transmitter will work with the the rest pets regardless of their systems

4. inkista

inkista Active Member

-Return to Top-

Just me, but getting the Flashpoint R2 versions of the Godox gear from Adorama might be better than going Amazon/eBay for Godox, simply because warranty service would mean mailing to and communicating with Adorama in NYC, vs. Godox in Shenzhen China.

Should work fine with either system with appropriate transmitter, so long as it's updated to firmware v2.0 or above.

Just me, but a TT685 is a full-sized speedlight, roughly the same size and weight as a 580EXII, and will be big and top-heavy for on-camera use on a mirrorless body. It might be better to get the Canon version as an on-camera backup for your 580EXII, and consider it an off-camera-only use flash with your X100T. The TT350 is a better fit for on-camera mirrorless use as a transmitter/master. The flash flavor is just about which camera hotshoe you want to use the flash on.

Over radio with the built-in RF transceivers, any of the TT685 models should work to autoswitch to any of the other four systems Godox supports, so long as its firmware is properly upgraded. I just purchased a Flashpoint version of the TT685-C to use with a TT350-O (I have a GX7) and it arrived with firmware v3.0. I had to upgrade it to v3.2 to get proper switching for -O/-F triggers. It works fine with my TT350-O from the GX7. Works fine on my YN-622C triggers. Works fine with optical wireless eTTL with my 580EXII as the on-camera master.

The -F and -O versions of the TT685 do not do optical eTTL slave/master. The -C/-N/-S versions do.

The main problem is that using the X1R-C on the 580EXII is unlikely to give you the same RF autoswitching as a TT685, and you will probably not be able to trigger the 580EXII with TTL from the X100T (HSS is not going to happen, since the X100T basically can't do it, and generally doesn't need it, having a focal plane shutter that syncs up to 1/1000s and a built in ND filter).

The TT350F should work as a TTL/HSS slave with the X1T-C as master.

As elfroggio said, getting a TT685C (and maybe an AD200), a TT350-F, and an X1T/R set might be the best of both worlds. You'll have an on-camera backup for the 580EXII, an on-camera bounce flash and master/transmitter for the X100T with the TT350-F, and you can add the 580EXII into the Canon lighting setup to have four off-camera lights (AD200, TT685, 580EXII, TT350) with the Canon, and two (AD200, TT685) with the X100T. I pretty much am thinking of getting a similar setup, as, like you guys, I mainly use Canon gear for portrait shoots, but also need to have some OCF capability with my GX7 and X100T. The only additions for me would be a TT350-O (GX-7), and possibly one or two TT600s for rim/background lights. But HSS works with the TT600 on -O/-C; it currently does not with -F triggers.

5. approved

approved New Member

-Return to Top-

thanks guys for sharing your experience and thoughts, TT685 will be nice to have but i will put it aside for a while (i rarely need 4th light and I dont need a backup for 580EXII, i'm not a pro to keep the flash just for the sake of backing up).
    So far the option of 350F+AD200+X1t-C looks as what i need. 350 may be used as oncamera and to rule AD200 if i'm with Fuji. When i'm with Canon - i can use AD200 and 350FF through X1T-C. 580 will be on-camera flash or can work as optic slave as 3d flash

6. BoomeArt

BoomeArt Member

-Return to Top-

I think that you missed one thing - Please login to view links, the chart sows us that X100F do not support TTL with Godox transmitter.

7. shuttereye

shuttereye New Member

-Return to Top-

The chart shows X100F and X100T (Catagory C)
    TTL/M flash works in-Standard-Rear------but NOT HSS.

But with a leaf shutter why would you need HSS.

8. BoomeArt

BoomeArt Member

-Return to Top-

You are right, there is no need in HSS.

9. approved

approved New Member

-Return to Top-

thanks a lot for the comments - already orders X1T-F, we'll see how it works