This site is supported by the advertisements on it, please disable your AdBlocker so we can continue to provide you with the quality content you expect.

Hello (finally) from Georgia!

Discussion in 'Member Introductions' started by DougMac, Oct 10, 2017.

1. DougMac

DougMac Well-Known Member

-Return to Top-

Well, I've been here for a while, but wanted to wait to introduce myself until I actually owned a Fuji camera.

My first camera was a Kodak Brownie Hawkeye that Santa brought me when I was six, back in 1957. Two years later I got my first little darkroom kit with a plastic developing tank and a contact printer. By then, I also got a Kodak Brownie Regular 8 movie camera and projector. I also used my dad's Zeiss Ikon 616 folding camera.

In 1964 I bought my first 35mm camera, a Sears Tower (Olympus) rangefinder I bought second hand for $25. This is the camera I took on a high school trip to Europe in the summer of 1966. It was on that trip that my future bride, who was 14 and I shared our first kiss. Our final stop on the trip was London, where the lens came unscrewed and fell off the camera! When I got home I bought my first SLR, an Exacta VX IIa.

In 1967 I got a job at the biggest TV station in the market. I worked the weekends and the summer running audio and camera on newscasts and taped shows. I also developed and edited news film, as well as used Leica M3's for copy stand and other slide work.

I decided to pursue photography and was accepted at the Art Center College of Design in Los Angeles, from which I obtained a B.F.A. After graduation we moved back to Georgia and I returned to the TV station where I was a director of the prime time news broadcast and other productions. After three years, I became a full time commercial photographer, primarily doing PR and corporate photography for the industries with factories in town. I did portraits and weddings as well, but never advertised myself as such.

When I was 34 I assessed the photo business and didn't care for the direction it was taking. I went back to school and earned a B.S. in Computer Science and I've worked in IT since then. My love for photography never waned and I had a dedicated darkroom for years.

My wife and I have been travelling a lot recently, both for work and fun. I got tired of lugging my Canon 5D2 kit around and looked at Fuji as an alternative. My new X-E3 will take its maiden voyage to London and Paris leaving this Friday. That little 14 year old girl is now the director of a university's School of Nursing and we are taking a business trip to set up a Studies Abroad program.

Here is my treasured Leica M3 and my new X-E3. You can see why I went that direction. As I discussed in another forum, the X-E3 is a great little camera and its just what I was looking for as a travel kit.

XE3.jpg

2. J J

J J Premium Member

-Return to Top-

That's a splendid mini autobiography. Hope you both have a fantastic trip and that you continue to enjoy this forum. Show us some photos upon your return!

DougMac likes this.
  3. Shadowside

Shadowside Good Glass is Forever...

-Return to Top-

Welcome to the forum!

Great bio, and has elements very similar to my own. I haven't had the chance to play with an XE3 yet, but have wanted one ever since I sold my XE2 for an XP2.

You'll love the optics and handling as they are similar to Leica in many ways.

Safe travels and I look forward to seeing your work :)

DougMac likes this.
  4. Narsuitus

Narsuitus Premium Member

-Return to Top-

In 1985, when you were 34-years old, what direction did you see for the photo business?

I ask because in 1971, I performed a similar assessment and did not care for the direction the photo business was headed.

5. DougMac

-Return to Top-

The market was getting more crowded and there was pressure from our customers to cut our prices. I saw a general downturn in the amount of business we were getting from our regular customers and there was little new activity to replace it. My wife had just passed her nursing boards and procured a good job that significantly increased our household income.

In the meantime, I had become fascinated with the potential of personal computers and had streamlined bookkeeping with macros I wrote in Lotus 123. I seemed to have a knack and the patience to do computer programming. We sat down and calculated that we could live off Deb's salary if I could cover the cost of getting a B.S. degree. Between scholarships, work-study and a small student loan, we decided we could swing it. I went back to school and with going summer semesters and the core credits from my prior degree, I earned a B.S. in two years. I'm mad because I got bad counseling from the school - I could have gotten a Masters with little if any more courses.

I repaid the favor by helping out Deb while she pursued her Masters and became a certified Nurse Practitioner and Nurse Midwife. After working 10 years as a Nurse Midwife, she accepted a job offer to teach at a local university. This would eventually require a terminal degree and I did what I could to help her earn her PhD. She's now a full professor.

Even back then I knew digital photography was coming. I had no idea how much it would radically change every aspect of professional photography. It has exacerbated a lot of the troubling trends I noticed. In addition, most of the industries that provided me with plenty of photography work have moved away from the area. I did a fair amount of event photography for them - employee recognitions, etc. It gave me face time with my clients and they would call me for bigger jobs. Now those kind of photos are captured on iPhones and shared online.

Narsuitus likes this.
  6. ebruder

ebruder Premium Member

-Return to Top-

Just a minor point; your new camera is sans the film advance/cocker lever.

Enjoy!

EB

DougMac likes this.
  7. Bud Weiser

Bud Weiser Premium Member

-Return to Top-

It was smart to leave television too. I was a broadcast engineer and left television for good in 1999. I now work in I.T. for a local community college. One of the smartest moves I ever made thanks to my "pushy" wife to get out of that stressful job :)

DougMac and Shadowside like this.
  8. Shadowside

Shadowside Good Glass is Forever...

-Return to Top-

Wow, seems to be more of a trend than I had realized. I started in robotics in and microprocessors in the 70's & 80's, of course now days we would call that Mechano and smart phones. Incidentally, one of my IT jobs was Regional Service Manager (Canada) for MITS Computers - ring a bell for anyone (MITS Altair 8800)? I have done photography since a wee lad so thought I would dump the soldering irons and swap the lead for silver in the mid to late 80's. Wanted to be a journalist, not a newspaper shooter, but a photo essayist - well wasn't long before I was sitting in front of another terminal lol.

Went back to school, again, got an MBA majoring in Business ICT. For the past 10 years I have been the Assistant Superintendent, Technology for the (geographically) largest school district in North America - 1.2 times the Area of California! Never a dull day and plenty of photo opps too :)

Don't miss the ambulances or politicians one wee tic.

DougMac likes this.
  9. DaveX

DaveX Premium Member

-Return to Top-

What a great introduction, and welcome to the forum.

DougMac likes this.
  10. seagrove01

seagrove01 Premium Member

-Return to Top-

I started out as in electronics in the 1960's as a submarine sonar tech worked a variety of disciplines (ILS, engineering, program management, etc.) before late in life chucking it all and trying to make it as fulltime photographer. Lucked into a freelance/contract gig for a decade with a small Florida weekly. Went back to military contractor when the newspaper industry died in 2008 before retiring in 2012. Moved back to Georgia as well (Carrollton, GA, just west of Atlanta) to get out of the hurricane zone a little bit and am enjoying a smaller kit these days. I don't envy your X-E3 but did drool over your M3. Have thought about going totally back to film and matching an M3 and a few lenses up with the Yashica Electro35 GS that was passed on to me when my dad passed away 20 years ago.
    Do you shoot the M3 often and what is your favorite film?

DougMac likes this.
  11. seagrove01

-Return to Top-

I was fortunate to be in the right place at the right time at least for 10 years. Did a late in life career change and hooked up with a one-year-old Florida weekly at just the right time! Worked 60-80 hours a week usually and had a ball. I told people "I get to go play EVERY DAY!"

Shadowside and DougMac like this.
  12. seagrove01

-Return to Top-

Oh, and enjoy the trip to London/Paris! Hope it is memorable!

DougMac likes this.
  13. DougMac

-Return to Top-

I just got back from a business trip to Memphis and took the M3 along to do some street work. It's such a fun camera to shoot with. I like shooting film cameras, including my Mamiya C33 and C330 because it forces you into an entirely different rhythm.

My favorite film developer combination was Agfa 400 developed in Rodinol. I could control contrast with dilution and development times. I've also shot my fair share of Tri-X and Ilford HP5. Of course I mourn the demise of Kodachrome.

I did shoot a little Fuji back in the day, but ironically I never warmed up to Velvia. Most of my experience with Fuji was 16mm news film. We hot-rodded our cine processor by doubling its speed and changing the chemistry temps to really hot. We'd often have 1200-1600 feet of news film to process and cut for the 6:00 news. I've actually been still cutting news film when the newscast had started, taking the stories back to the projectionist one story at a time. That was nerve-wracking to say the least!

seagrove01 likes this.
  14. Max Fstop

Max Fstop Well-Known Member

-Return to Top-

Welcome to the forum, I love the intro ;)

DougMac likes this.
  15. DougVaughn

DougVaughn New Member

-Return to Top-

Great stories. I have an X-E3 on order as a backup to my X-T2 for an upcoming trip. I want that Leica though... beautiful camera. I have quite a few old film cameras, but no Leica yet. One of these days when I'm feeling wealthy enough to afford the lenses. :)

DougMac likes this.
  16. DougMac

-Return to Top-

[QUOTE="DougVaughn, post: 727281, member: 60741] I want that Leica though... beautiful camera. I have quite a few old film cameras, but no Leica yet. One of these days when I'm feeling wealthy enough to afford the lenses. :)[/QUOTE]
    I bought that camera with the DR Summicron form$150. I sent it to the Leica repair facility in New York for CLAm which was another $150.

17. seagrove01

-Return to Top-

Didn't we all?! I never warmed up to Fuji films either. During my time freelancing with a little Florida weekly, they provided a lot of Kodak print film since they had an arrangement with a local 1-hour processing lab to turn it around quickly. I eventually went digital for that gig. I agree with you on shooting film. I shoot my dad's old Electro35 when I get the urge (in fact, I have four rolls in cans right now I need the film "fix"!

DougMac likes this.