This site is supported by the advertisements on it, please disable your AdBlocker so we can continue to provide you with the quality content you expect.

Hands on GFX50R...

Discussion in 'GFX 50S, GFX 50R' started by Demoz, Oct 20, 2018.

1. F2Bthere

F2Bthere Premium Member

-Return to Top-

I can now add a little direct experience.

To me, the grip on the 50r felt fine. I was really surprised how light the camera felt. It was handed to me with the 63mm lens.

I wanted to try with the 110mm, which wasn't available. I tried it with the 120mm. The weight is almost the same (30 grams difference) and the 120 is an inch longer, which presumably puts the balance out further. All I have to say is that it felt fine to me with the 120 mounted and I did not feel the need for a bigger grip handle.

The difference in weight of the 50r and 50s doesn't seem like that much, so I was quite surprised at how much lighter the camera felt in my hand.

Seemed to be quite the winner.

I understand the release date will be November 29th.

liggy and ru2far2c like this.
  2. bobbyzfx

bobbyzfx Premium Member

-Return to Top-

The only thing that I don't like much on my GFX is that batter bulge. Otherwise it seems like a perfect camera. The weight/heft adds to better hand holding. Definitely heavier with 110mm f2 but not much more than FF with 85mm f1.2 lens.

YogiMik, ru2far2c and F2Bthere like this.
  3. ru2far2c

ru2far2c Premium Member

-Return to Top-

It is welcoming news to hear that the 50R is easy to handle even with larger lenses.

Didn't them move the battery compartment between the two bodies? So the R is more like the X series with the battery loading on the right side of the body?

I am hoping the little rise in the body will help give one a better grip.

Last edited: Nov 9, 2018 at 6:21 PM
  4. ru2far2c

ru2far2c Premium Member

-Return to Top-

Edit:
    Never mind I answered my own question about the battery Please login or register to view links. That is what adds a few mm's to the width of the body. :)

F2Bthere likes this.
  5. Simon Green

Simon Green Premium Member

-Return to Top-

does anyone have an accurate idea about shipping dates for the Fujifilm GFX 50R

6. F2Bthere

F2Bthere Premium Member

-Return to Top-

November 29th seems pretty solid in the US. I've gotten it from a few independent points. Sometimes, the date varies by country.

I'm afraid my insights are more US based, but they might help you form a strategy. And perhaps others based in the U.K. can add insights. It has been clear that Fuji strategy in the two countries has been different.

A few people with early preorders have contacted B&H trying to get earlier shipment (places like B&H will often get items in before the "release" date but are required to hold inventory until a specific date. Sometimes the date is seen as a "receive by" date and items get shipped before the "sell by" date to arrive within the window). From what I have seen reported, it isn't clear how this will be handled. The people who tried contacting B&H who reported seem to have not gotten a sense of where they stand in line. My speculation is that B&H does not know how many units they will get when, just what the starting date is.

The unknown factor is how many are preordered and how many will be available. This is pretty standard with the Fujis and it just takes a bit before they are easily available in stock, although there are odd pockets where some will be available in an obscure store while no one can find them somewhere else.

My sense from past releases is that big places which do a lot of volume tend to be favored with more units but also tend to have long pre-order lists they are working through and send them out in waves as they get them in, if you search through old threads here and other places, you can see reports and some people mention when they placed orders and when they got their items.

Most places take preorders and it seems they mostly charge and ship when they have units in the order people placed their orders, but you need to check what a place's policy is. My local store will take preorders with or without deposits. If you put down a deposit, you get priority on preorders, but you can still refuse the item when it comes and get a refund.

If you order a bundle with lenses, some places ship them all together, but some will ship the lenses separately in advance. And some will give you the choice. People have reported Adorama and Amazon sending lenses already. If I understand their post correctly, one person reported B&H gave them a choice in the matter of separate shipment or sending the lenses before but the "standard" B&H procedure is to ship them together. It also appears that with credit card orders, B&H charges when they ship, but with PayPal orders you are charged when you place the order. My understanding is this is due to PayPal.

Internet talk makes it sound like they have been strongly preordered, but that is mere speculation.

For those who want to get it fastest, there are various strategies reported, including ordering at more than one place with the intention to cancel later orders.

My sense is that B&H gets a lot of units but will also have a lot of preorders by now. Historically, the people with the earliest preorders at B&H are often the first to report taking delivery online. There are occasional reports of someone getting an item early from a local dealer who "broke the rules," but this is reported less these days. I speculate dealers like this get punished and, if the practice continues, people are wise enough to keep quiet about it.

If my goal were to get one as early as possible starting today, I would bet that my local store with a deposit would be the fastest because, even though they are set up to take online orders without charging sales tax, I don't think that is a big part of their business, and they give priority to orders with deposits. I'm guessing the number of people on that list is low. But they are a big enough dealer for Fuji that they were specifically mentioned by a Fuji rep at Photokina in an interview, so they will probably do well at getting units relative to their preorder numbers, which I speculate are not huge. And because there is a release date and the store is local, if I managed to get on the list for the first batch (pretty likely with a deposit, possibly even without), I could pick it up on the date.

ru2far2c and Simon Green like this.
  7. F2Bthere

F2Bthere Premium Member

-Return to Top-

Nice!

This page even includes indicators of what is where:

Please login or register to view links

8. Simon Green

Simon Green Premium Member

-Return to Top-

thanks for your considered responses Derick.

tbh I thought it would be available in February 2019 or later.... quite taken a back to discover it maybe on sale in late November.

think I will try for one... I am mostly street and social documentary and hardly ever studio.... although to raise the money I have a gfxs to sell first... which I love.

all good x

F2Bthere likes this.
  9. F2Bthere

F2Bthere Premium Member

-Return to Top-

The GFX 50s has a few advantages, to be sure, but they are more studio related. The 50r is definitely better to carry and for street. The main things I like with the 50s are the battery grip option and the three-way tilt.

My primary interest is studio, but even for me, the 50r is the better choice. The light weight and feel in the hand are great. The lightness and size remind me of the Mamiya 7 and the feel in the hand is better than the Mamiya 7. Because I do some event photography (a few times a month) and because it will be more fun to carry around (making it more likely to be with me).

If you are selling the 50s, you will probably get more selling it sooner, since you won't be the only one trading to the 50r and a less expensive option to get the same level of sensor will also place downward pressure on the price.

Last edited: Nov 10, 2018 at 7:27 PM
    ru2far2c likes this.
  10. F2Bthere

F2Bthere Premium Member

-Return to Top-

Looks like the 50r continues to be the number one seller on Amazon. I wonder how long this can last?

Please login or register to view links

11. Peter H

Peter H Premium Member

-Return to Top-

Seems to be number ten this morning. XT3 is number one.

F2Bthere likes this.
  12. AnthonyM

AnthonyM Premium Member

-Return to Top-

Interesting, X-T3 variants occupy three of the top six places.

F2Bthere likes this.
  13. ru2far2c

ru2far2c Premium Member

-Return to Top-

It looks like B&H Photo has changed the 50R to "Top Wish" from "Top Seller" with a shipping date of 29/11/18.

F2Bthere likes this.
  14. F2Bthere

F2Bthere Premium Member

-Return to Top-

"What a difference a day makes" or, in this case, a few hours.

The odd think is that the 50r was at number one for quite a while. I'm not surprised it had a moment, but we are still talking about a MF camera, which is a niche product.

The XT3 is a pretty big deal, too.

Fujifilm will probably come out quite well relative to the competition. It does seem that Fujifilm has been very wise in the strategy they have pursued. I suppose that shouldn't be surprising given how well Fuji overall (not just Fujifilm) has done across markets.