This site is supported by the advertisements on it, please disable your AdBlocker so we can continue to provide you with the quality content you expect.

Going from X-T2 to X-T20

Discussion in 'X-T2, X-T1, X-T20, X-T10' started by Jdam, Apr 9, 2017.

1. Jdam

Jdam New Member

-Return to Top-

So my X-T2 is no more since I had it in Sep. I loved it. My insurance is kicking in . I'll be able to X-T2 or X-T20 and save the difference. Maybe get a lens but I already have the 56,35 and 14. Maybe the 23 f2. I've been research and the difference between the X-T2 and X-T20 are items I don't use .the only thing I use alot joystick. I don't really mess alot with settings. I don't use the continuous autofocus I don't think I'm going to be messing with the customized settings at all.

I shot alot of kids and alot protait shots 1.4 to 1.6 and the electronic shutter is used alot so I'm not going to miss the 1/8000 shutter. Plus I like the size of the X-T20 and if the image quality is the same I'm going to be 99% happy with that.

I normally set my ISO to auto pretty much everything is Auto and I just dropped the aperture to where I want it. So the high-end Flagship camera maybe too much camera for me but it was the only option back in September now that the X-T20 is a that seems to be the camera for me.

I guess I have a question of am I going to miss the X-T2? The X-T2 just got a firmware update just after my other camera was gone so I guess my big question is what the X-T20 are they going to receive updates shortly or down the road soon? The only thing I can see me getting that could affected as I was going to get a Speedlight down the road. Like the nissian speed light 60a.

Any thoughts? I think I would be happy with the smaller camera again the other camera X-T2 might have been too much camera for me or did you realize the full capability of the camera because I'm just shooting General shots of the kids

Thank you

2. Scott Burkett

Scott Burkett Well-Known Member

-Return to Top-

If you find the smaller body will fit your hand, you wont be disappointed with the X-T20. I have shot all of the X-T series models and ended up shooting concerts (and everything else) with the X-T20's.

Since you dont plan on the really big zooms, you should have no problem, though many people, me included, get something like the Metrocase grip to build the grip up a bit.

But either way, I believe you'll love the X-T20! -- be sure to get at least one extra battery....you wont normally run out of battery, but nothing worse than a big kids event and your only battery dies. (But you already know that from the X-T2)

Jdam likes this.
  3. George Komiotis

George Komiotis AKA Photogeo180

-Return to Top-

Have you tried the X-T20? If not I suggest that you do before deciding.

At some point I considered doing the same with my X-T1 and X-T10, but just holding the X-T10 for a few shots was enough to change my mind.
    The EVF was enough to be a deal breaker and also I much preferred the bigger size of the X-T1.
    18 months forward, I didn't save any money but I'd make the same decision again and again.
    Bottom line, I need to like the tool I am using.

Just my 0.01 cent :)

Osa713 likes this.
  4. Jdam

Jdam New Member

-Return to Top-

Cool. All primes so far and yes I already have 3 batteries maybe 4 right I buy it....

5. Jdam

Jdam New Member

-Return to Top-

Good point. I plan to use it at the shop first. Good news I have not used the X-T2 for 2 weeks. I'll make sure I try the evf

6. fatdeko

fatdeko Premium Member

-Return to Top-

I've had the XT1 since it was released and when a sizeable check arrived for some work I did, I was torn between the X-T2 and the X-T20. I did the same calculus as you and came down on the fact that those differentiating factors between the two bodies weren't meaningful enough for me to spend the extra 800 or so dollars. I love the X-T20 and the only thing I ever miss from the XT1 is a dedicated ISO dial and a vertical grip but I've quickly gotten over them. Like you I'm usually in auto ISO, but I put the ISO control in the Q menu and also in the My Menu dock, so it's easily gotten to. I also realized that half the time, I'd have left the grip at home anyway.
    The joystick is a near necessity on the XT1 and X-T2 as the Dpad buttons kind of suck. Not so on the X-T20, they're quick and responsive and I haven't even been tempted to sugru any of the Fn buttons. I'm left eyed, and on occasion I have even moved my focus point with my cheek.
    The EVF isn't bad. It's way better than the Xpro1 and the resolution of that EVF never bothered me (the refresh rate on the other hand....).
    No differences between the X-T2 and X-T20 as far as speedlight functionality is concerned. As far as size, while the X-T20 sure is tiny, the i60 won't dwarf it much more than if it were on the X-T2. I have a used i40 for on camera run-and-gun stuff, but with the savings I got from passing on the X-T2, I picked up the Nissin di700a with Air 1 trigger. Now I have an off camera TTL flash that I can either modify and put on a stick or attach a small modifier and shoot one handed with the flash in my other hand. Now I'm just trying to figure out a way to put a belt clip or hook of some type to the hotshoe so it'll hang by my side when not in use.
    Try it on in the store, for sure. If you still lean towards the X-T2, count to 800. If you still want it, go for it.

7. Jdam

Jdam New Member

-Return to Top-

Totally. Tried it in store. I have small hands so I liked it. I'm leaning that way for sure. speedlight wise I'm looking at the 60 . Thanks for the input I'm totally on the same page as you.

Thx again

8. The world can't wait

The world can't wait New Member

-Return to Top-

I spoke with a Fuji rep. He said that the X-T20 has a recent firmware upgrade that allows the user to assign ISO to the rear control wheel. I, too miss the ISO dial and larger evf...I borrowed my friends for an event in a dark space with no flash. It caught the drumsticks as though they were being held still! It does seem the X-T20 will give the same results for much less.

9. GregWard

GregWard Premium Member

-Return to Top-

I find it interesting that you like the size of the X-T20 when others clearly feel differently. To me it's a real illustration of the earlier point that everyone should try things for themselves wherever possible. There are tons of posts asking "should I get..." or similar - and many people trying to give helpful responses. But I think your experience shows what I've always thought - which is that the only person who can truly answer "should I get..." is the person themselves!

10. Adam Hafner

Adam Hafner Member

-Return to Top-

I love the X-T20 with the mhg-xt10. I know it is expensive but it feels much better than the Oben one I was looking at. Would have loved to have gone for the X-T2 but thought the difference was more wisely invested in glass...bout to pick up a 23 f/2

11. liggy

liggy Camera Fondler

-Return to Top-

My X-T20 is showing up today. Replacing a much loved X-T10. My severe GAS has been the prime factor for three of my friends now being Fuji shooters.

Two were DSLR converts and one is stepping his game from cell phone photography. They get killer deals on gear and I get guilt free upgrades. :)

I love the X-T2 and it'll be the body for the zoom lenses but the X-T10/20 +23 F2 or 35 is a compelling briefcase every day carry setup.

The compact size of the X-T20 is manageable with the Lensmate thumb grip and it will also be more appropriate for the wifey with the full auto mode.

12. Adam Hafner

Adam Hafner Member

-Return to Top-

Funny you mention the Auto mode. It sounds bad, but that was the "tipping point" feature that pushed me to the X-T20. I thought the EVF size and the Dual Card Slots were good justifications for the additional cost and weight of the X-T2, but the full auto mode for the wife to use was the one feature that made the X-T20 a more viable option. I also like that with the MHG, I can remove the grip if I want to go even smaller and lighter.

liggy and The world can't wait like this.
  13. StephenL

StephenL Pixel scutcher

-Return to Top-

I'm in the process of doing a swap of my X-T2 for an X-T20 plus cash. Most of the time I found I was using the Pro2 or Pro1 - however there were times when the tilty screen came in handy. My largest lens is the 18-135 and I have no intention of going larger - that defeats the object of going mirrorless for me. And I only/mainly shoot what could loosely be described as landscapes. The cashback will go towards getting about more and actually taking photos. However, my previous experiences with a T10 suggest that I will need the grip, or at least a decent half-case. I think the only thing I will really miss is the ability to quickly change ISO settings, but as I generally shoot ISO Auto I can get round that.

14. GregWard

GregWard Premium Member

-Return to Top-

Interesting viewpoint - you're obviously not unique in holding it. But I wonder if it differs between those who have moved 100% to mirrorless vs those who keep a toe in the DSLR camp?

Actually I don't really see why (say) a mirrorless 70-200 f2.8 should be materially different from a DSLR designed 70-200 f2.8. More often than not there's an air gap at the back of the DSLR version anyway - so a mirrorless version would simply have a bigger air gap! Of course the Fuji (rough) equivalent is a bit smaller because of the crop factor. But that's to do with sensor size not the absence of a mirror.

So the real size/weight gains are to be had when using the mirrorless body with smaller primes etc. So I totally get where you're coming from. But if you added something like a Safari Trip to your photographic interests you would probably look seriously at one (or both) of the bigger Telezooms. Except of course if you still have a DSLR - then you'd be more inclined to have different tools for different purposes.

15. StephenL

StephenL Pixel scutcher

-Return to Top-

The only reason I bought the 18-135 was to go alongside the 10-24 for a forthcoming Australia family-visiting trip, where I want to carry as little kit as possible. In the recent past I have owned the 16-55 f2.8 (briefly as it did nothing I couldn't achieve with the 18-55), the 50-140, and the 90mm. All reasonably weighty and bulky lenses. I now have the 23mm f2, 35mm f2, and the 50mm f2. All of which are pocketable, and can give me what I want 90% of the time. On occasions when I need something a little longer I am more than happy with my Zuiko 100mm. I know that the larger lenses are still lighter than their Nikon or Canon equivalents but that's irrelevant to me as I neither own nor want to own a DSLR. Nor do I have any intention of safaris or wildlife photography- I am happy to leave that to more competent photographers than me. No, it's taken me a long time and a lot of money to discover my happy little niche! But I know that what I like and do won't suit others. Each to their own.

GregWard and liggy like this.
  16. sandroamt

sandroamt Active Member

-Return to Top-

It seems Fuji abandoned his x-t10 after only a year and half (the latest x-t10 update is of june 2016) but continue to develop fw for x-t1 (latest x-t1 fw date is Mar 2017)...
    Be careful... if you already have x-t2, maybe is better you keep it... less risk to have an unsupported camera after only a year or so!

17. Adam Hafner

Adam Hafner Member

-Return to Top-

I think saying the X-T10 is "abandoned" is a bit of a stretch. Sure the X-T20 updates it to the latest Sensor and Processor, but just because a newer model is out doesnt mean that there is anything wrong with the X-T10...or that it doesnt still make amazing images. I dont see a lot of people posting issues with the X-T10 online so there may not be much to "bug fix" with firmware.

I almost saved the money and bought the X-T10 instead of the X-T20 but got lucky and found a X-T20 at a local dealer and couldnt be happier with it.

18. sandroamt

sandroamt Active Member

-Return to Top-

I said X-T10 doesn't make amazing images?
    X-T10 is a good (improveable) camera abandoned by fuji after a year and half from his birth (this is a fact UNTIL fuji do not improve something - there are many things improveable also if x-t10 is a good camera - external flash EF-X500 support just to say something but also some minor bugs...) And my speculation is x-t20 is likely to do the same (x-t1 compares to x-t10 as X-T2 compares to X-T20)!

Last edited: Apr 21, 2017
  19. StephenL

StephenL Pixel scutcher

-Return to Top-

I think that compared to most if not all manufacturers we are lucky that Fuji continues to provide the updates which it does, let alone the extra work required to add features to superceded models. Just because upgrades cease doesn't mean that the camera stops working. I have a Zenza Bronica which has never had an update in its life but still continues to take excellent photos (depending on the photographer!).

20. sandroamt

sandroamt Active Member

-Return to Top-

Did I say it stops working? I'm just arguing that the proverbial fuji kaizen is fading out with some fuji camera models (x-t10) after just a year and half from his birth!