This site is supported by the advertisements on it, please disable your AdBlocker so we can continue to provide you with the quality content you expect.

Full frame to Fuji X-T1/2 Conversion Experience

Discussion in 'X-T2, X-T1, X-T20, X-T10, X-T100' started by dpm321, Apr 15, 2018.

1. dpm321

dpm321 Member

-Return to Top-

I've been a Canon SLR/DSLR shooter since the early 70's and bought my first Fuji (X-E2) several years ago as a travel camera. I shoot primarily travel and landscapes. Last year I bought a X-T2 and, since then, have found myself using the Canons less and less. I am now at the point where I am seriously considering dumping my Canon gear and committing fully to Fuji. I'd like to get some input from those who have made the jump with respect to any disadvantages found or regrets in making the switch. Thanks in advance.

2. rluetzen

rluetzen X-T2,Grip,18-55,55-200,10-24,80mm and 35 f2

-Return to Top-

I was in a similar situation over a year ago when I made the switch from all Canon gear to the Fuji X system. As much as I loved the FF MKIII and a variety of "L" lenses, I found the package too cumbersome to carry along on a regular basis. Taking images became more of a burden when travelling and as a consequence less frequent. A good photographer friend introduced me to the X-T2 and after a short "try out period" was hooked. I consider myself a serious hobbyist and not someone that makes a living from this craft and have had no regrets, other then "monetary". Taking images is "exciting" again and due to the physical dimensions and weight of the X-T2 carried with me at all time. No regrets..none

Vinceh likes this.
  3. Rich Thofen

Rich Thofen Member

-Return to Top-

My experience is the same as rluetzen. The bulk and weight of my FF Canon gear meant I was less inclined to take it out and use it. A few years ago I wondered, "what's the point in owning all of this stuff?" I borrowed a friends X-T1 and my interest in photography was rekindled. I dumped my Canon gear, invested in Fuji and haven't regretted my decision since.

4. kenbennett

kenbennett Premium Member

-Return to Top-

I still have all my Canon gear at work (supplied by my employer), but I almost never use it. I find the image quality of the Fujifilm cameras to be sufficient, and I don't shoot sports anymore so I don't miss the 1D autofocus. My student now uses both 1D Mark IV bodies and all the fast zooms. He even swiped my ancient 300/2.8 -- loves them all. But he's young and still has a strong back :)

I did put in a capital request for the Fuji MF system for next year. :)

5. yashica boy

yashica boy Premium Member

-Return to Top-

I also moved from Canon last year to Fuji (XT1 & XE2S) and now take more images as both bodies and 2 zooms (18-55 & 50-200) go in a smallish bag & weigh less them the 5Dmk11 and 70-300

6. Alice

Alice Premium Member

-Return to Top-

• Well....not Canon, but I sold my Nikon D800 and lenses after shooting my X-T1 for a few months. I found myself having fun again, and apart from the Fuji rendering that I love, not carrying an anvil around was very nice. My neck, hands and back thank me constantly.
    • I’ve not used my pelican roller case since except to take to a Caribbean island. I had a lot of stuff not photography related in it, too.
    • Have the T2 now.
    • What’s with the bullets? Did I hit something by mistake?

rayvonn likes this.
  7. dpm321

dpm321 Member

-Return to Top-

Thanks for the great input. It pretty much confirms my thoughts. My next step, hopefully this week, is to shoot some side-by-side landscape images and pixel peep them on Lightroom. I've watched a few YouTube video comparisons claiming higher definition and better shadow detail with the full frame camera, but we'll see what I find. For me the test will be in printed image quality rather than results of pixel peeping. Thanks again.

8. rhom

rhom Member

-Return to Top-

I came from full frame Nikons (D700 & D810) and have owned a Canon 5D with L glass as well. Now I shoot a X-Pro2 and X-Pro1 and do not miss my former cameras (which I loved at the time). I echo the good comments of the previous responses and would like to add a note about post-processing (PP) since you indicated that you will be pixel peeping landscape images.

If you will be shooting Fuji RAWs (RAFs), please be aware that the resulting images are somewhat dependent upon the PP software used. I had no issue PPing Nikon or Canon landscape RAW files with Lightroom. However, my Fuji RAWs have better detail when I use Iridient X-Transformer to convert the RAF files to DNGs before importing into Lightroom (also using some of Thomas Fitzgerald's Fuji Lightroom Recipies). Other Fuji shooters use Capture One and Luminar to achieve the best detail from their RAWs. This seems to be especially true for landscapes with lots of foliage.

Hope that this helps.

Rick

rayvonn likes this.
  9. rayvonn

rayvonn Premium Member

-Return to Top-

Never owned a Canon DSLR but any brick like camera’s eventually going to drain the fun if it’s your main camera which you carry most days. But having said that, there does seem to be something about those Canon colours which looks lovely. Don’t you Ex Canon users miss that? Just a question.

10. Mike Gorman

Mike Gorman Premium Member

-Return to Top-

Yep I reckons ya did, the tenth item on the edit bar, if you edit the post you should see that item selected so just deselect it. I’ve just done the same thing.:D

11. dpm321

dpm321 Member

-Return to Top-

Rhom, thank you for the information on Irdient. I was not familiar with that product. I tried it on a random image last night, one with a lot of shadow, and there was a very noticeable increase in detail and sharpness. However, there also seemed to be a fairly strong increase in shadow noise. I left all the settings at the default value for this first try so I don't know if this is typical. Can the noise be reduced in X- Transformer, or do I have to deal with it after the conversion?

12. Dave Jenkins

Dave Jenkins Active Member

The Beautiful Northwest Georgia Mountains

-Return to Top-

I used Canon for 24 years as a full-time working photographer before selling the whole kit and switching to Fuji in 2017. I find the files from my X-T20 superior to those from the Canon 6D.

I've used Capture One since 2003 and currently have version 7, which will work with my X-Pro 1 and X-T1 files, but not with the X-T20. For those files I've been using SilkyPix, which I find does a good job and is surprisingly easy to use. However, after 15 years, I'm heartily sick of sitting at a computer learning new software and processing files, so I'm working toward a jpeg workflow as much as possible. Fuji jpegs are hard to beat.

grick, rayvonn, YogiMik and 1 other person like this.
  13. Dave Jenkins

Dave Jenkins Active Member

The Beautiful Northwest Georgia Mountains

-Return to Top-

Ken, are you by any chance a staff photographer at Wake Forest? I think I used to encounter your name in other fora in years past.

14. rhom

rhom Member

-Return to Top-

Yes, both Luminence and Color noise can be handled by X-Transformer (IXT).

Personally, I have both turned off and, because I am lazy, let Lightroom handle these adjustments via one of several IXT-to-Lightroom Recipes (i.e. Lightroom Pre-Sets) from Thomas Fitzgerald's publication (Please login or register to view links). This downloadable publication is excellent information and very cost-effective. The Recipes work very well and you can customize them to your tastes.

15. cug

cug Premium Member

-Return to Top-

I'm currently contemplating a move in the opposite direction. From Fuji X-T2 to Sony A7R III. This camera offers a lot of nice things I'm missing on the Fujis, especially with regards to shallow depth of field options and enormous cropping reserves.

On the other hand, I do like the Fuji controls better, although I see the downside of them as well. Also, the Fuji glass, while great in and by itself, leaves me slightly un-impressed in terms of current line-up. The 23/1.4 is a great lens optically, but it's pretty big on the X-T2, the 56/1.2 and the 16/1.4 the same – awesome but kind of big on the bodies. The 50-140/2.8 offers little advantage over a 70-200/4 on a FF body, neither size nor speed wise as the current FF sensors are a good stop better in noise handling. The 23/2, 35/2 and 50/2 are nice travel lenses, but optically not really my cup of tea. The optically great 35/1.4 is getting really old now, the 18/2 as well. The 60/2.4 was old when it came to market ... although for all three of them I love the rendering.

The problem I really see with the Fuji lenses that to get to similar optical results (out of focus smoothness, same noise levels), they have to be a stop faster than the equivalent FF lenses to create similar results. And it's a style element I really like to have at my disposal.

Personally, I believe the Fuji cameras are great for reportage style photography, pre- or zone-focused, with the compact f/2 lenses, but less so for wildlife or sports where the size of the body becomes less and less relevant compared to the glass you're hauling around anyways.

Given all that, I'm considering getting an A7R III and one or two small (rangefinder?) lenses. Regarding my comments that when you start with the zooms it doesn't make much sense anymore:

[​IMG]

With the longer zooms the Fuji is slightly better off, but I have little interest in these anyways. I have a 70-300L lens which I really like that would be good enough as an adapted lens for the rare occasions when I need a long lens.

Is any of the systems better? No, I don't think so. It just depends on what you want to do which system will work better for you.

16. rayvonn

rayvonn Premium Member

-Return to Top-

Wildlife/ sports? DSLR/D500. Right tool for the job n'all that.

rhom likes this.
  17. rhom

rhom Member

-Return to Top-

Second the D500 for wildlife/sports.

18. cug

cug Premium Member

-Return to Top-

Exactly.

19. howitzer1972

howitzer1972 Member

-Return to Top-

Right now I mainly shoot my kids and their activities; which happens to be Hockey and Figure Skating. So low light, fast action. I was satisfied with the results I was getting with my 6D but have to echo the sentiments of others that if I wasn't taking pictures of my kids the camera stayed at home. Just didn't want to lug it around. I even bought a 1" compact last summer in the hopes that it could give me satisfactory results but it just didn't cut it indoors.

I'm not getting paid for my pictures, just a hobbyist and don't have the money to maintain 2 systems. I was really intrigued by the Fuji and decided to try it out, the image quality I was getting convinced me that it was just as good as the 6D. There are things that are better with the Fuji and some things are better for the Canon. Even with the rumours that a FF Canon mirrorless is coming; I still listed all my Canon gear for sale, only have one lens left to sell right now.

I'm not going to argue if other cameras are better than the Fuji. Each system has it's pros and cons. If I bought the A7III, I know I would not be happy with the f4 zooms and would want the f2.8. The cost is out of my budget and the quality Sony glass is heavy. D500 is a great APS-C camera but like my Canon I wouldn't be taking it with me half the time. To me the X-T2 was a great compromise, it's a great 'do everything' camera in a small package. Is it the best? Maybe not, but at least I'm taking it with me now and it's not sitting at home.

Vinceh likes this.
  20. damianmkv

damianmkv Active Member

-Return to Top-

The last half of your last paragraph @howitzer1972 is where I find myself at the moment. I switched back to Nikon from m43 last year because the e-m1.2 wasn't as good as the hype said it would be for (e.g. ) motorsport - it was good but the d500 makes life easier.

Since then, I've added a 16-80 f2.8-4, 35 f1.8, 50 f1.8, 10.5 f2.8 FE and 70-300. Now I've got a heavy bag and there are times where I'm thinking I'll leave it all at home. I've been here before when I went to m43 from Nikon 4 years ago....:rolleyes:

I think I've enjoyed photography the most with Fuji - mainly because I've had pocketable cameras and thought about what I was doing. So now I'm constantly looking at the classifieds and trying to stop myself buying a "travel camera".

The only problem with this is that I know it won't stop at just the one lens...

rayvonn likes this.