This site is supported by the advertisements on it, please disable your AdBlocker so we can continue to provide you with the quality content you expect.

Fuji XF 55-200 Continuous AF

Discussion in 'Native X-Mount Lens Forum' started by MacGreg, Apr 12, 2018.

1. MacGreg

MacGreg New Member

-Return to Top-

Hello all !!

A brief backstory first ... I've been shooting indoor volley games lately for a local team and I'm using the 18-55 with no problems at all. Tracking AF, continuous high , f4 , iso6400 almost all the time. The results I get are pretty much amazing , considering the fact that a) I'm not a pro and b) it's "just a kit lens".

Now, for most of the shots the 18-55 is ok with a little cropping but there are times that I want that extra sth, a tighter frame and for that I was using adapted MF lenses. Which works good ... but it's a pain and I'm not always that fast/lucky so as to nail some shots.

I was wondering if the 55-200 can work as good as the 18-55, considering my AF needs as described above. I believe that the f3.5 will help to gather a bit more light at least till the focal length it does (around 70mm if I'm not mistaken, which is fine for the distance I have to shoot from) and may be get some nice portraits of the players during the game, or shots near the net ... but I'm reading mixed results as far as it's focusing capabilities especially indoors.

What are your thoughts ? Should I invest in that lens or not ? Has anyone used it in similar circumstances ?

2. jknights

jknights Moderator Staff Member

-Return to Top-

I dont know how the 55-200 will work under low light conditions but I wouldnt expect it to be as good as the 18-55.
    If you want good performance then the 50-140 will give you better AF and possibly image quality. You lose a little on the long end reach but the larger max aperture will be a real win.

3. MacGreg

MacGreg New Member

-Return to Top-

Yeah, the 50-140 would be ideal but it's way out of my budget.

4. Mervington

Mervington Premium Member

-Return to Top-

I haven't used the 55-200 in poor light. However, in good light it can be stunning. Couple of years ago, I took some 'landscape' pics of the hillside at the other side of the valley here. When I got them on the screen, I then saw race horses returning from the gallops! Even with heavy cropping, they were very good images.

5. Richard_R

Richard_R Eclectic eccentric Staff Member

-Return to Top-

The 55-200 is a fantastic lens and great value for money. Unless you know why you would need a 55-140 and how you were going to get the best out of it I suspect that the vast majority of users would be better off with the 55-200.
    Having said that I have no idea how well it focusses on moving subjects in low light. Like all Fujis it will most likely be dependant on which body it is attached to but I can't see it being any better or worse than the 18-55 actually. Maybe you should try to find somebody you can borrow one from or possibly even hire one from somewhere if you can.

6. gyoung

gyoung Premium Member

-Return to Top-

Did some tennis with the 55-200 last year, but it was outdoors in sunshine. Worked as well as CAF ever does for me, but I prefer to use AFS for choice. Just because I always have, and prefer to choose the focus point myself rather than let the camera do it.

Gerry

Last edited: Apr 12, 2018
  7. Tilphot

Tilphot Premium Member

-Return to Top-

Look around your house and start an ebay sale with everything you no longer need. That‘s what I did to fund my 50-140. There‘s really no other lens for the job, as unfortunate as that seems. But once you put that 50-140 on your camera and start shooting, it‘s gonna reward you!

8. MacGreg

MacGreg New Member

-Return to Top-

Thanks for the feedback guys !!!

Wish I could try the lens but there’s no option....it will be used either way that’s for sure but it would be nice if it did the job as well, apart from personal stuff.

@Tilphot not a bad idea at all !! But still there is a lot I have to sell !!

9. Irene McC

Irene McC Premium Member

-Return to Top-

This was shot on the 55-200 (which I love) in continuous mode, although not indoors / low light.

WBB-LGD X1955-Dave Canning FMX jump with Fuji 55-200.jpg

Adam Sherman, EAB and rammichawla like this.
  10. PatrickP

PatrickP Premium Member

-Return to Top-

You mention f3.5 as aperture, but that is only at the 55mm setting or close to it. At the end, it is f4.8!

These types of sports just scream for bigger apertures. That is why I would use the 50-140/2.8 if possible here. Not a very long lens, but simply better for (indoor) sports than the 55-200 (and even more compared to the optically very good but very slow 50-230 (f6.7@230mm!)).

11. MacGreg

MacGreg New Member

-Return to Top-

@PatrickP f3.5 goes till the 70mm which is more than in enough in the places I shoot. That’s why I mentioned it. I wish I could go for the f2.8 but ....

@Irene McC that’s a very nice shot !! I’m pretty sure the lens performs great outdoors and I’m also quite sure that I will most certainly use it for personal photographs , but my main priority would be the volley matches. I might get it used , if I find one in a descent price and see how it will go.

These pics were all shot with MF lenses and it's moments that I have been quite lucky ! This is what I'm looking for from the 55-200 , nothing extraordinary (I think !)

DSCF1161.jpg

DSCF2408.jpg

DSCF7781.jpg

DSCF7846.jpg

Last edited: Apr 12, 2018
    rammichawla likes this.
  12. Scott Burkett

Scott Burkett Premium Member

-Return to Top-

I've used both the 18-55 and 55-200 at concerts indoors (I apologize, I am at work and don't have any shots here but could post a couple from home this evening). And the 55-200 does pretty well, though I have found that if you're (physically) beyond about the 70-85mm range, it's tougher to get and keep a nice, sharp focus across the front.

So while I'll agree with Richard that on the short end it performs as well as the 18-55 on my other body (I shoot 2 X-T20's at shows), zooming closer to the 200 end from a distance is a bit more of a challenge.

Having said that, looking at your shots above, you should be happy with the lens. Keep in mind, you'll get less bokeh, so you'll have depth of field similar to your first two shots. It'll be tougher to get the same tight focus you have on the bottom two shots.

all the best, I believe you'll find the lens to be quite good.

MacGreg likes this.
  13. Irene McC

Irene McC Premium Member

-Return to Top-

Thank you for your kind words and wow! your pictures are really good. From that, it looks like your light in there is not too bad?
    What iso were you shooting at?

I am trying to find examples to show you, and when I travelled to Brittany last year, I was happy to see Malicorne perform in Paimpol.
    These are all shot on the X-T2 with the 55-200

The third image is BCUC (with the red stage lighting) and was taken from FAR away at the very back of the crowd.
    This is the EXIF of the 3rd image
    Model = X-T2
    Exposure Time = 1/125"
    F Number = F6.4
    Exposure Program = Manual
    ISO Speed Ratings = 12800
    Focal Length = 200mm

FUJX0591-© IreneMcC.jpg

FUJX0604-© IreneMcC.jpg

FUJX0910-© IreneMcC.jpg

MacGreg likes this.
  14. DaveX

DaveX Premium Member

-Return to Top-

I don`t have the 55-200mm but it is better than my 50-230mm XC, saying that. Today it was a very grey day and I did a great job shooting AF-C using my X-T20, so you should be fine with your lens.

15. MacGreg

MacGreg New Member

-Return to Top-

@Irene McC thank you for the kind words !! Well, I forgot to mention that I'm using the XT10 ... now, the first two shots were at iso6400 for sure. i can't go lower in that court. The other two, if memory serves me well as I'm not in front of LR right now, were iso4000 (and maybe above) ... all these were shot with the Jupiter 9 85/f2 on a simple adaptor bought from eBay. The examples you ve posted are very impressive btw .... seems like the lens handled the stage lighting pretty good !

@Scott Burkett all these were shot at f4 with the Jupiter. If I get the same or similar dof and bokeh with the 55-200 I will not mind at all !! As for getting that tight shot you mention, yeah probably not. Though, in those last 2 shots I was pretty far back. I am usually able to get much closer, that's why I wrote in a comment above that the 70mm part of the lens is a good limit for me, combined with the f3.5 will give me a pretty tight frame. It will be like using a 105 lens (in FF).

All in all , after posting my example pics above , do you believe that making similar shots with the 55-200 is possible ? I know I know ..... I've already asked that !!! But the pics that @Irene McC posted make me feel that I could....

16. Irene McC

Irene McC Premium Member

-Return to Top-

I am sure that you could

MacGreg likes this.
  17. Spock66

Spock66 Premium Member

-Return to Top-

The newly announced firmware upgrades may help as well, if you are using one of the bodies that gets the upgrade.

18. MacGreg

MacGreg New Member

-Return to Top-

I have the XT10 so no update for me !

19. Ryukyu

Ryukyu Member

-Return to Top-

Do you have any options to rent the lens for a few days? That would be an ideal way to test it to see if it will work for you.

20. MacGreg

MacGreg New Member

-Return to Top-

Unfortunately not.