This site is supported by the advertisements on it, please disable your AdBlocker so we can continue to provide you with the quality content you expect.

Front Control Wheel

Discussion in 'X-T2, X-T1, X-T20, X-T10, X-T100' started by paulhodson, Jan 11, 2018.

1. Arjay

Arjay Admin Staff Member

-Return to Top-

Sorry - I don't have an X-T2, so I can't comment on the picture. My X-Pro2 doesn't have this, and sadly, the X-T2 user manual doesn't offer any help.

However, I assume that the "F" option indeed is for aperture selection. Yet, this only applies to lenses w/o aperture ring. If this is so, then this choice doesn't offer any function for you.

What's the problem of having a choice that isn't functional in your case, if it doesn't mean any other functional restriction for you? What do you lose if you simply ignore this option? What happens if you swap the function assignment between the front and rear control dial (Please login or register to view links)?

2. paulhodson

paulhodson Premium Member

-Return to Top-

I have not tried swapping as I want to keep this function where it is.

If you do not have the "C" selected on the exposure compensation dial then this option is not offered and if ISO is not set to "A" this option is not offered. But select either of them and the aperture setting"F" is offered! Clearly the camera should be able to only offer this when appropriate and it is simply something they forgot to do. Perhaps a future firmware update will rectify this

The problem is simply that you have an extra pointless press when idea is to make changes to exposure and ISO easier which is hardly helpful. The settings are displayed for quite a short time making it harder to select the one you want.

I didn't realise you didn't have an X-T2 when you told me my discussing it was "futile and academical"

3. tijuana taxi

tijuana taxi Premium Member

-Return to Top-

Think it just means F for front telling you those functions are controlled by the front command dial
    (I don't have a X-T2 either, but have seen F before and after symbols on other Fuji cameras)

4. paulhodson

-Return to Top-

I don't think that's it, as this is the control you can use to change the aperture on the few lenses that don't have aperture rings. I think they just didn't take into account the lenses that do! :)

5. tijuana taxi

tijuana taxi Premium Member

-Return to Top-

Surely you could pick to change those lenses aperture via the rear command dial too.
    This is only a guess, but perhaps the F would then be after the symbols to the right.

Just looked on my Pro2 and its certainly the case on that, have a look in the menu (spanner symbol) under button/dial setting

6. BillC-PA

BillC-PA Premium Member

-Return to Top-

In the Tony Phillips e-book for the X-T2 he makes the following statement regarding the display of "F" - "Aperture (F) shows up in this new GUI feature .... Since the camera clearly knows it has a lens which does, or does not require the front command dial to control, I'm not sure why "F" is always displayed as part of this GUI feature if you are only controlling either ISO or EV (or both) from the front command dial. TIP: Incidentally, just because you select "F" (aperture) by pressing the front command dial, does not mean the dial is now soft-switching aperture for all XF lenses - even if you put their switch/ring on the A position. They simply work manually as before"
    As I previously mentioned, I use the front dial to quickly change exposure compensation .... when I get the setting I like I push the front dial again which basically 'locks' the setting, by moving the option to "F" ..... I kind of think of "F" as 'fixed' and not aperture :)

7. paulhodson

-Return to Top-

Only lenses without the aperture ring - and I don't have any of those. :)

8. charlie3

charlie3 Premium Member

-Return to Top-

No :) Have just been playing with my X-T2 and 14/2.8 and 23/1.4 which both have an aperture ring which also includes position 'A'.
    With the ISO ring, shutter ring both on A, EV ring at C AND lens aperture ring set at position A , front button shows 'F and +/-' and it controls the EV and the rear button the aperture.

Last edited: Jan 12, 2018
  9. paulhodson

-Return to Top-

Yes - but that works however the front setting is set. It's when using aperture priority that the "F" is displayed as an option - and does nothing. :)

10. Mike Gorman

Mike Gorman Premium Member

-Return to Top-

It has dawned on me that my X-T2 is much much more sophisticated than I am. It will take me years and years to be conversant with all the facilities on offer, hey ho.

rkeifer likes this.
  11. paulhodson

-Return to Top-

Yes - I upgraded to the X-T2 from my X-T1 because its limitations were holding me back

Oh, hang on... ;)