This site is supported by the advertisements on it, please disable your AdBlocker so we can continue to provide you with the quality content you expect.

from Fuji...to Olympus...to Fuji?

Discussion in 'General X Camera Forum' started by RitchieReview, Jul 23, 2017.

1. snappu

snappu New Member

-Return to Top-

Yeah I've been using my M9 for 7 years, and just had it CLA'd for another 7 years of use. Why should I expect any less from my M10?

BTW I'm sure my M9 is worth alot more today than any other digital camera that debuted in 2009.

Mischa likes this.
  2. RitchieReview

RitchieReview Member

-Return to Top-

Do we? Certainly don't feel that way.

rayvonn likes this.
  3. Bud Weiser

Bud Weiser Well-Known Member

-Return to Top-

All I want my camera to do is make coffee for me in the morning. Is that really too much to ask?

4. AdrianG

AdrianG Premium Member

-Return to Top-

Oh, OK, I revise my suggestion in this case: M4-2 + 35mm Summicron.

5. rayvonn

rayvonn Well-Known Member

-Return to Top-

Yeah, who said anything about that? T'was just commenting on these 'rumours'.

6. AdrianG

AdrianG Premium Member

-Return to Top-

My comment wasn't in response to yours, mate. The tread is about a lad who looks for something which doesn't exist, burning piles of cash in the process.
    Cheers!

rayvonn and Mischa like this.
  7. rayvonn

rayvonn Well-Known Member

-Return to Top-

Nice1! Been a very tiring day.

8. Mischa

Mischa Vintage lover

-Return to Top-

Since my comment is the cause for all this arousement here, let me clear this up.

I originally responded to @Bud James comment:
    I see how it might be interesting for mirrorless early adopters that jumped on the waggon "too soon" and realised how the on-sensor CDAF sucked for anything other than portraits in great lighting and unmoving subjects, or me who is so annoyed about the foliage issues I get with my X-Trans II that I'm considering upgrading to some other mirrorless system for travel (or an X-Trans III sensor camera).

However, I fail to see why this would be of any importance to people shooting DSLRs or a Leica.
    Leica is manual focus and DSLR AF has been plenty good enough for professional sports for the last ten years. (sure, my 1Ds has other people bursting out laughing wth a 3-4 fps "burst", but I can still take better pictures than many gearheads with 10k sports gear and no skills :D )

There are just too many people out there who have marketing departments infuse in them the believe that they need a Nikon D5 AF system to be capable of taking snapshots of their children...

GregWard likes this.
  9. GregWard

GregWard Premium Member

-Return to Top-

... but how else do you expect them to take a portrait of their kid in pitch black lit only by the light of a single candle on a birthday cake 20 metres away?

:D

rayvonn and Mischa like this.
  10. AdrianG

AdrianG Premium Member

-Return to Top-

Birthday:
    XP2, VM21/4, Classic Chrome, 51200ASA, f/4, 1/28
    Looks great printed 10x15cm
    XP2M7275.jpg

rayvonn and qhs232 like this.
  11. FMW

FMW Active Member

-Return to Top-

I'm reminded of how well my golf instructor could hit balls with my clubs. The same holds true with cameras. A good photographer will fare better with ordinary equipment than a poor photographer with the best equipment.

12. RitchieReview

RitchieReview Member

-Return to Top-

Well that's just plain false. I'm looking for advice or recommendations. I think we've been having a pretty civilised conversation tbh. I haven't burned any piles of cash. I've barely lost any money switching systems which was talked about earlier in this thread. It's quite the opposite actually, I don't want to burn piles of cash which is why I'm taking time over my decision.

13. Bud Weiser

Bud Weiser Well-Known Member

-Return to Top-

Then explain this photo I got from a reliable source.....I think his name was Adrian ;)

[​IMG]Burning-Money-cropped by frankweiser, on Flickr

14. RitchieReview

RitchieReview Member

-Return to Top-

haha I only burn pounds sterling.

15. AdrianG

AdrianG Premium Member

-Return to Top-

Aye, and we're still being civilised. Don't worry about me being irritating, that's the way I am and I can't help it. This is actually as good as it gets if I'm beeing really nice. Please imagine a smily behind each sentence if it helps you.

Everything and more has been recommended back and forth in this tread. However, the problem is simple: If you want to shoot weddings I assume you need an ILC. There are three current Fuji ILC's, all of them fit for the job. Either you feel one of them is it, or move on. The good news is, it doesn't really matter which camera or brand you get. As far as IQ goes, they are all pretty close together. Sensor size makes a difference, each being a compromise with advantages and disadvantages over the others.

Between the Fuji body's there is no IQ difference at all.
    -The X-T2 is a TTL camera. Like an SLR, it is great for slow, prepared shooting. I.e. if you are shooting in a sports arena, with your AF preset, your tele zoom mounted, your subject known. It has more elaborate AF tracking than the other two and should be good enough to track sports action with a tele lens as good as any DSLR. Of course it won't be able to track your kids playing with the dog with a 35mm, but neither will the
    -The X-T20 is the same as the X-T2 less a few features and a bit smaller
    -The X-Pro2 is the opposite of the X-T2. It's not meant and thus less suitable for prepared shooting. Its EVF is smaller, it doesn't have the full AF feature set of the X-T2, its ergos, shape and grip are not great for 2.8-zooms and heavy tele lenses. It is optimised for unprepared, fast shooting with 16mm - 60mm lenses. Its OVF gives you a wider and deeper view of things. Anticipation on your part instead of AF tracking. A snap-shooter. Actually, the fastest shooting camera ever, working in a wider range of conditions than any other fast camera. And unlike a Leica it does have AF, you can mount and use zoom or tele lenses and it does actually track subjects quite reasonably.

So, it's a trade off vs a trade off. Do you need either, neither, one of each? Who knows. If you want everything in one package, you could maybe get a Sony A7RII with a 16-300 zoom and a Leica universal accessory finder, though the sony comes with its own set of drawbacks and you might have to use a hammer or some superglue to fit the accessory finder into Sony's non standard accessory shoe.

Make sure you only burn Scottish notes. The portrait of the Queen printed on English notes is illegal to burn in the UK.

Mischa likes this.
  16. Mischa

Mischa Vintage lover

-Return to Top-

There are people over at FredMirandas who believe that they DO indeed need a D5 to take snaps of their toddler erratically running about the lawn..

17. AdrianG

AdrianG Premium Member

-Return to Top-

I don'd know Fred and Miranda but they are certainly right: Your toddler running about is a very difficult subject matter for AF to track. Birds in flight, and sports action are far less demanding. But it's a question of relevance too: Almost all new, interesting and thus necessary sports action shots were made before WWII. Everything since is dull mass repetition shots covering a completely irrelevant subject matter. Your toddlers OTOH couldn't possibly have been covered before and they are the worlds most relevant subject matter. However, shooting your toddler with such a camera from inside the action doesn't work.
    Cheers!