This site is supported by the advertisements on it, please disable your AdBlocker so we can continue to provide you with the quality content you expect.

Flickr Making Some Changes

Discussion in 'General Photography Discussion' started by CWRailman, Sep 13, 2018.

1. CWRailman

CWRailman Premium Member

-Return to Top-

I posted this in an ongoing discussion but thought it might not be seen by those who did not participate in that previous thread.
    Please login or register to view links

2. Richard_R

Richard_R Eclectic eccentric Staff Member

-Return to Top-

I'm not entirely sure what it is supposed to do. The way I understand it you see other peoples photos and create a gallery around a theme so for example if you want to create a gallery around Datsun 180B cars you can add photos you find from other people on Flickr of Datsun 180B cars to the gallery. I'm not sure what happens then. I guess if people search Flickr for "Datsun 180B" then your gallery would come up in the search results but so would all the individual images that you have included in the gallery anyway.
    I did look at my Flickr settings and I see that the add my photos to galleries option is set to no. I don't know whether that is the default or whether I have turned it off at some stage in the past but if its the default then I guess the whole concept would go out the window anyway.

3. F2Bthere

F2Bthere Premium Member

-Return to Top-

I frequently use Flickr to look at images from a given lens. I have found it a very useful tool in this regard.

Having a group associated with that lens tends to be pretty reliable. Searching for individual images is surprisingly unreliable. You would be surprised how many people have more than one lens tagged or tags for a lens which clearly was not used tagged. The disadvantage of the groups is that only certain users of a given lens will be included.

A gallery is likely to be more reliable than a straight image search because presumably most "curators" will bring greater care to the image selection process. At least one hopes. And it offers the possibility of more diverse coverage.

It also opens up a tool for easy curation which raises the chances for some exceptional collections when you get a person of refined sensibilities and persistence.

I am excited by this development.