This site is supported by the advertisements on it, please disable your AdBlocker so we can continue to provide you with the quality content you expect.

First trip with X-T20

Discussion in 'Landscape' started by EOBeav, Jun 12, 2018.

1. EOBeav

EOBeav Member

-Return to Top-

These are the first serious pics with my new X-T20. SOOC, jpeg's only, Velvia film simulation used. It was overcast, but the sun was peaking through a little more than I wanted, hence the blown highlights. Also, I was hoping to get more details in those shadows; they sure get black awfully fast. That might be because I'm not used to what to expect from a jpeg as I've mostly shot RAW in my Canon DSLR's. But, I could sure get addicted to those greens...

Images linked from my Flickr account.

Please login or register to view links

2. Al Meeker

Al Meeker New Member

-Return to Top-

If you were accustomed to shooting RAW with your DSLR why not RAW with X-T20 and be able to recover detail from shadows and also get detail from blown areas????

3. EOBeav

EOBeav Member

-Return to Top-

A reasonable question. For one, I wanted to see what I could bring home SOOC. I was really just kind of testing out the emulations on it. Secondly, I use an older version of LR, so I'm going to have to convert my Fuji RAW files to DNG's and go from there. I'm unsure of that process right now, but that's something I'll be working on next. I'm really just finding where my limits are on this thing. At the end of the day, I'd like a workflow that involves more shooting and less time in front of the computer.

4. Richard_R

Richard_R Eclectic eccentric Staff Member

-Return to Top-

Beautiful pictures! However as a courtesy to other users, please post a maximum of two images in your opening post, then post a reply and include the rest of your images there (Please login or register to view links, 17th bullet point under "Posting Rules"). This works better with our What's New page.

Consider the What's New page: This page only shows the opening posts of new threads - but with all included images. This means if there's a multi-image post that users need to scroll down longer to see the other threads. This will make many users turn away and stop reading - especially if they don't just need to scroll, but also have to wait until all images have been loaded.

Mind you, I'm not trying to discourage you from showing your pictures. As a courtesy to other users who also want to showcase their images, simply post two teaser images in your next opening post, then post a reply to your own opening post and include the rest of your images there. Our portal will just display your teaser images - users who are attracted by them will subsequently click through to the thread and see the remainder of your images. This way, everyone will get his/her equal share of attention, and nobody will be put off.

5. Mako Koiwai

Mako Koiwai New Member

-Return to Top-

The whole idea of Velvia is Contrast and Saturation. I shoot the lower contrast simulations. It's always easier to ADD Contrast then take it away (loss of shadow detail).

6. EOBeav

EOBeav Member

-Return to Top-

Agreed, and these images were all about me finding the limits and expectations of my new camera. My learning curve continues, as I've figured out how to shoot RAW + jpegs.

Thank you for that information! I was unaware that there were any expectations like that. I'll be happy to follow those guidelines in the future.

7. fzdp

fzdp Premium Member

-Return to Top-

X-t20 is lovely :)

You may control contrast in jpg with shadows/highlight settings.

You may find this page helpful which describes each film simulation.

Please login or register to view links

8. mikEm13

mikEm13 Premium Member

-Return to Top-

Interesting read, thank you for posting.