This site is supported by the advertisements on it, please disable your AdBlocker so we can continue to provide you with the quality content you expect.

Feedback on the XT3 flash unit ?

Discussion in 'X-T3, X-T2, X-T1, X-T20, X-T10, X-T100' started by Sammael99, Oct 10, 2018.

1. Sammael99

Sammael99 New Member

-Return to Top-

I just purchased an XT3 with the 18-55, and was surprised when the sales guy opened the box for me and showed me the tiny flash unit (EX-F8) that comes with it. I hadn't heard about that in any of the reviews.

Having said that it's clearly a tiny flash unit, but I was wondering if anyone had roadtested it nonetheless.

Can the power of the flash be adjusted (as in the x100F), what is the best focal length for it to work (I tried it at 18mm in the shop and the halo didn't seem to be centered, but that's not a scientific measurement at all...)

Anyway, any info anyone has on this is of interest.

2. ruby.monkey

ruby.monkey Premium Member

-Return to Top-

It's the same unit that has come with all the X-T cameras. It's better than nothing, but it's very much a flash of last resort (and is probably best used to trigger remote flash units).

3. rokphish

rokphish Premium Member

-Return to Top-

Yes, could be adjusted 2 stops over/under with increments in the flash menu.

4. A C Skinner

A C Skinner Member

-Return to Top-

It is epically good for what it is. Excellent for closeups".

5. Lumens

Lumens Premium Member

-Return to Top-

I find it really cool. Generally I never use flash, but things come up when you need something and don't have it. It's small size makes it very easy to just keep in the bag. Sure enough, once in a while I will need fill flash and think what to do? Well that little EX-F8 is in the bag and there when I need it!

6. digitalpatriot

digitalpatriot Member

-Return to Top-

I've never not once used it. It always sits in the box. I have a Nikon SB-8 or Canon 430ex with eBay wireless triggers for when I need fill.

7. dohc97

dohc97 New Member

-Return to Top-

I have a Nikon Sb800 flash unit. How can I make it to work with the new XT 3?

8. M4cr0s

M4cr0s Premium Member

-Return to Top-

Just put it in full manual. It should fire. You will have to set output strength on the flash unit. I.e. 1/64, 1/32 and so forth. Also set up the camera for manual exposure. Typically starting point 1/250th, whatever aperture is suitable and ISO after how much ambient light you want to let in on the exposure.