This site is supported by the advertisements on it, please disable your AdBlocker so we can continue to provide you with the quality content you expect.

Everyone hates Fujifilm?

Discussion in 'Fujifilm X News & Rumors' started by Globares, Nov 7, 2018 at 9:40 PM.

1. cug

cug Premium Member

-Return to Top-

That doesn't matter at all. All that matters is the difference in rating them "unlabeled" (just with numbers) and later rating them labeled with (random/wrong) manufacturer names. There is a general dislike of Fujifilm as a company or as a community, not a dislike of the Fuji image, which turned up in second place after the Sony.

2. palane

palane Premium Member

-Return to Top-

TN gets somethings wrong but he is in SHOWBIZ,so is open to being doubted....his followers are nobodies that add UP so he has to entertain them.
    The university of YouTube is a great place but they let just about anyone in!

3. Tilphot

Tilphot Premium Member

-Return to Top-

And again, one has to wonder: WHAT Fuji colors is he talking about? Provia, Velvia, Astia, Pro Neg High/Standard... ???

Solsdad and dem like this.
  4. Globares

Globares Premium Member

-Return to Top-

Well, "hate" for sure is exaggerated, a clickbait in fact. If we look at bare facts/numbers we can just say that everyone votes against Fuji colors and Fuji users vote against Sony colors. I figured out another interpretation for those numbers. Let's start with "Fuji hates Sony" part - for many the final mirrorless gear decision was "Fuji either Sony?". I can be an example here. This year I decided if I should upgrade my Fuji camera to X-T3 either my Sony to A7III. It was not a quick decision and I selected Fuji. The Fuji "color science" was one of the decision factors. That somehow determines that I can unconscionably vote against Sony colors to prove how wise decision I made (ergo how wise man I am ;)) . That's a well documented human behavior. Does it mean I hate Sony? Of course not. I was (and still am) quite attracted by A7III. If we extrapolate his reasoning a bit we have:
    1. Fuji users are attracted by Sony cameras.
    2. Everyone is attracted by Fuji cameras.

Definitely, but I tended to rate the Fuji community above the Canon and Nikon ones with statistics as an explanation. Noisy and nasty people are the most visible ones - larger communities (like C&N) acquired more such individuals.

5. Alice

Alice Premium Member

-Return to Top-

Well, I shoot Fuji (of course, or I wouldn’t be here) and I guess I fit the angry, mean opinion.
    When someone tries to engage me in political discussions, I hit them in the head with my X-T1, but Not my T2 in case their head is really camera-damaging hard.
    Fuji makes great weapons. ;)

Solsdad, Globares, palane and 2 others like this.
  6. cug

cug Premium Member

-Return to Top-

If you're not shooting JPEG only, you just fell for marketing, that's all.

YogiMik likes this.
  7. dem

dem Premium Member

-Return to Top-

You missed the point completely. Canon, Nikon and Sony shooters downvoated the image with "Fujifilm" label on it. But when the images were labeled "1", "2", "3", "4", most people actually liked the Fuji colour and it came second.

The message is that even photographers (note that the poll was conducted amongst photographers, not general public) can't make up their mind what "better colour" is. They are influenced by the perceived camera brand and the images next to it more than the actual image colours.

8. jamie allan

jamie allan Premium Member

-Return to Top-

I think I'd say that your second sentence could be qualified. I don't think that all photographers are influenced by the perceived camera brand and the images next to it more than the actual image colours.

9. LionSpeed

LionSpeed Premium Member

-Return to Top-

The truth....

Here, I admit it.
    I hate Fuji.
    It has made a dent, a huge dent in my current retirement.

And that's not even the bad news
    It will keep on coming with more severe dents. ;)

10. dem

dem Premium Member

-Return to Top-

Obviously not all, only 92%.

jamie allan likes this.
  11. Jonimages

Jonimages Premium Member

-Return to Top-

Of course not all of them are like that. If you watched the video based on Tony's finding the MAJORITY were like that.

12. boulevardier

boulevardier Premium Member

-Return to Top-

Tony Northrup's site is pure clickbait. According to him M43 is dead, based on Panasonic embarking on a second platform like most other manufacturers, and he uses titles like "why I'm quitting", which turns out to be why some people get bored with photography. He exploits the viewer's short attention span and browsing habits to hook people in with melodramatic titles. Like the boy who cried wolf, it works for a while but suggests he's trying to grow his viewing figures to compete for commercial revenue streams. I find him pretty unwatchable and his conclusions biased to full frame, big lens photography.

13. Jonimages

Jonimages Premium Member

-Return to Top-

And it got your attention too and apparently got you worked up about it as well...

14. Globares

Globares Premium Member

-Return to Top-

I shoot raw, but in 90% of cases I apply one of the Fuji color profiles in the LR. Of course it doesn't prove I'm not a marketing victim.

I probably should have written "If we look at bare facts/numbers we can just say that everyone votes against assumed "Fuji" colors and Fuji users vote against Sony colors" to be more precise - the brand "feelings" for me are more interesting than the actual "color science" results in this story.

cug likes this.
  15. boulevardier

-Return to Top-

The M43 header got my attention because I thought he may have access to information I was unaware of. After a few moments he confirmed my instincts that he was just fishing for views. The I Quit title was self evidently click bait from the thumbnail, which was confirmed in the first few seconds. If Mr Northrup receives a fraction of a cent because I'm interested in the comment trail his posts provoke, good luck to him. As I said, crying wolf works a few times then people unsubscribe in numbers as his comment box confirms. Neither got me "worked up" as you put it, though I certainly find him slick and cheesy and his conclusions biased in the way I said.

FWIW I find Gerald Undone to be one of the best photo and video vloggers on the 'Tube.

16. Kev7d

Kev7d Premium Member

-Return to Top-

I got a slap on the wrist a month or so back for saying that a YouTube video was pointless and that I simply prefer to ignore the video and enjoy my camera.

But this again highlights yet another completely pointless YouTube video that warrants no attention and tells me again to just enjoy my camera. :)

Charzes44 likes this.
  17. Jonimages

Jonimages Premium Member

-Return to Top-

Hmm, if they were just after more subscribers and revenue it would seem they would be better off telling people what they want to hear...

I guess I don't have as high expectations for YouTube videos. I assume it's all clickbait so if a topic interests me I will watch it, if not go to the next video. Each person that does a review has their own biased conclusions, including people on these messagboards.

18. boulevardier

-Return to Top-

There are very few YouTube channels I watch for photography advice. Once you understand someone's preferences and prejudices, there's little to learn. Tony Northrup's thing is full frame cameras, mostly at high ISOs. That's useful as far as it goes, but it isn't news that a full frame camera with an £Xk dollar lens at 5 and 6 figure ISOs is going to outperform most other things. If you ignore size, price, video capability and other factors, a large professional camera has the better specs. Other presenters have their own obsessions. The comments are a different matter. They are generally more incisive and entertaining than the video. People can save a lot of time by reading the first few comments, without laborious introductions, self congratulation or merchandise pitches. As we can't read the comments without clicking on the video, my view adds to the hit count and I'm fine with that.

There are channels that offer solid, practical, real world camera advice, and they frequently have modest viewing figures. OTOH there are YouTube channels that get huge viewing numbers simply by being early with a new camera release. Most have some kind of symbiotic relationship with manufacturers and/or shops and are predicated on selling new gear. The YouTube model is what used to be called an advertorial, marketing disguised as objective appraisal. In that sense I agree, it's all clickbait.

19. Bud James

Bud James Premium Member

-Return to Top-

I din't think that you will find any Fuji haters here.

Personally, I converted from Canon pro FF DSLRs and "L" pro lenses four years ago and have not looked back. Fuji XF lenses are awesome, at least the knee that I own, and my XH1 and XT3 bodies produce fine images. Great value for your money too considering that I shoot Leica M10s too.

Regards,
    Bud James

Please check out my fine art and travel photography at Please login or register to view links or on Instagram at Please login or register to view links.