This site is supported by the advertisements on it, please disable your AdBlocker so we can continue to provide you with the quality content you expect.

Equipment isn't THE answer.

Discussion in 'General Photography Discussion' started by surfdogs, Sep 11, 2017.

1. surfdogs

surfdogs Member

-Return to Top-

Bumped into this video, that does a great job, I think, in reminding me (us?) to shoot lots. Buy less.

Angus, Viewfinder and Luis Costa like this.
  2. seagrove01

seagrove01 Premium Member

-Return to Top-

David duChemin in his book The Soul of the Camera talks about the same thing. Since leaving the news industry and retiring, I have gotten rid of all my pro Nikon gear mainly because of the weight. I initially got a Fuji X100S and then added the X-E1 and a XF35mm f1.4. I then felt my images were lacking so I recently bought a Nikon D2H (same as I had used for a decade) and a Nikkor 18-200mm superzoom thinking my images would get better because I had used them for a decade. That setup lasted a week before I decided to sell. I also have sold my X-E1 and the 35mm so that my current kit consists of my X100S, both the WCL and TCL converter lenses, and a full Yashica Electro35 GS kit with converter lenses. Now I am just going to focus on getting to know my Fuji and Yashica better so the camera, as they say, "gets out of the way." I just shipped the X-E1 this morning and feel a sense of freedom to really focus on the image and not the gear.

Thanksfor the link you posted. I enjoyed it (till the end when he had to do a sponsor (SQUARESPACE) talk).

3. surfdogs

surfdogs Member

-Return to Top-

Glad you liked it. Having just retired this year, I was thrilled to find Fuji equipment , i.e. cameras w/ manual dials that matched my early years as a hobbyist w/ film cameras. I dived it, in part because of limited access to try them out. Bought XE2S; X-Pro2 and X-T2, and four lenses. Now, having some time to shoot, I, like you, will be posting for sale 2 of the 3 bodies. And, maybe the third, if I decide to change to the new XE3. Of the 3 I have now, it's the XE2s I enjoy in my hands. I wouldn't even consider the new 3 except I love the Acros b&w so much. I am looking forward to that 'sense of freedom' you wrote of, less distraction, to then focus (ah what a pun) on creating images and becoming one w/ the tool. To then, transcend the tool.

4. CWRailman

CWRailman Premium Member

-Return to Top-

We've been discussing this same video for the past day in this thread. Please login or register to view links

5. barry S

barry S Member

-Return to Top-

So true, its not about the gear....................A sharp pencil will make great art......or poor scribbles depending on the hand that holds it....just like a new set of clubs wont make you a great golfer...and did my new expensive carbon fibre fishing rod help me catch more fish ?
    sadly not :)

CWRailman likes this.