This site is supported by the advertisements on it, please disable your AdBlocker so we can continue to provide you with the quality content you expect.

Empty Press Room

Discussion in 'B&W' started by Pete15, Sep 13, 2018.

1. Pete15

Pete15 Instagram @ptkaras

-Return to Top-

This was the building that housed the printing presses for The Boston Globe newspaper. The offices have since moved to downtown Boston and the printing is done in Rhode Island now. This was shot with the XT-2 and Rokinon 12mm @ f2.0, ISO 3200.

348C771D-61FC-4510-B155-38CFC5EB159C.jpeg

JamesMc, charlie3, MA128 and 15 others like this.
  2. Pete15

-Return to Top-

...Acros and shutter 1/80

3. bozaman

bozaman Member

-Return to Top-

nice. i like this composition and the b+w is perfect, but having the background story makes the image.

Bill W likes this.
  4. Pete15

-Return to Top-

Thank you. I can’t imagine the number of stories that rolled through this room.

5. Bill W

Bill W Premium Member

-Return to Top-

Both this one and the one you posted earlier are fantastic, especially with the background information. Hope you will post more in this series.

Pete15 likes this.
  6. Pete15

-Return to Top-

Thank you Bill W. I’ll post some more images from that day, but this is a link to another image I posted previously from that day.
    Please login or register to view links

7. JRick

JRick Premium Member

-Return to Top-

i liked this shot even even without any background story !
    - but i understand how adding the historical content also adds interest to this set of images

- as a stand alone shot, i especially liked the way the highlights emphasised the perspective and made the rafters appear as if they were rays of light instead of simply architectural components, if you get what i mean. did you feel that way too when you were composing the shot ?

- coincidentally......this seems to be a perfect example for a thread i have been preparing, so i'm very interested in how you composed the shot and processed it, and why you chose ISO 3200. was the ability to use the EVF as a 'wysisyg' feature helpful in getting the shot ?

8. jonathan7007

jonathan7007 Premium Member

-Return to Top-

Pete, wow, great image. I'm sure there's a leftover energy you could feel.

Morrissey Blvd., Dorchester! I walked through that very loud room many times during the summer of 1967 as a twenty year old, working every day as a Boston Globe full-time summer fill-in photographer. Hired to do my first pro photography work after a couple of years of intense experience as an enthusiast. The pressmen were friendly but busy - stay out of the way! The Globe at that time was a creature of an older time even for '67. Fascinating characters on the staff throughout that building. The main news room was one big space filled and alive with clackety-snip-ding! of manual typewriters. No workstations: that was 15-20 years away. A photo staff of about 22, still all men. I usually shot 4-5 assignments a day. So much fun and development of my abilities, both photographic and appreciation of the history and contexts of our profession.

You bring back the get-out-the-news heart of that exciting launch of my life in professional photography. Thank you!

Pete15 and CWRailman like this.
  9. Pete15

-Return to Top-

Thanks for the interest JRick. I used ISO 3200 because the lighting was very scarce throughout the building. I fluctuated between ISO’s depending on the area I was in. Everything was handheld so the images kind of organically came about depending on where I wandered. This image kind of framed itself. The opposite end window and source of light was such a contrast to the subtle details in the shadows. I sometimes feel that my images are too dark, but at least with this image, I felt that the shadows told the important part of the story of this space. I wanted the story to be as subtle as the details in the shadows. I wanted to try an convey that to the image. As far as the framing and composition, I tend to lean towards symmetrical compositions especially in this case with all the converging lines to the bright light source. I attribute this symmetrical tendancy to the films of Stanley Kubrick. I’d like my images to have a cinematic feel, I attended motion picture film school so I feel that I was trained to shoot in this sort of way. Hope this helps and again I appreciate the interest in the image.

jonathan7007 likes this.
  10. Pete15

-Return to Top-

jonathan7007, I’m really glad you like the image. I’m grateful one of my images was able to elicit a positive emotion from a viewer. I’ve only seen short films on the operation of the presses. I’ve got a friend who also worked there for a bit and said the building would shake when the presses were running. It was an oddly interesting place to walk through, in the darkness, with very few people around and random walls with fluorescent spray paint reading
    “DEMO”. I felt that the newspaper staff and operations leaving this location was like a turtle shedding his shell, it just didn’t seem right.

jonathan7007 likes this.
  11. JRick

JRick Premium Member

-Return to Top-

ThanX Pete15

- in terms of how u got the shot, i was curious about how you decided on the exposure since the scene had such a wide degree of contrasting highlight/shadow. as in, how u use the EVF and any exposure comp, etc to get your ISO.
    - and if you shot as a jpeg, raw or both ... and how you processed it

tx again.... trying to start a thread about shooting these types of scenes, but not there yet :)
    ....rick
    p.s. i really DID hit the like button :) ....doesn't seem to work for me today :-(

Pete15 likes this.
  12. zen

zen Premium Member

-Return to Top-

wow, i really like this, very cool!!

Pete15 likes this.
  13. Pete15

-Return to Top-

Zen, thank you, I appreciate that.

zen likes this.
  14. Pete15

-Return to Top-

I won’t have access to the EXIF data until the weekend, but I can post more info about the shot when I do.