This site is supported by the advertisements on it, please disable your AdBlocker so we can continue to provide you with the quality content you expect.

Downsizing after years of G.A.S.

Discussion in 'General X Camera Forum' started by Ryan0751, Sep 1, 2017.

1. beakhammer

beakhammer Premium Member

-Return to Top-

I once sold a set of bagpipes to go on a two week trip. I don't regret it, and everyone else was happy too.

2. dixeyk

dixeyk Dabbler

-Return to Top-

I bet. :eek:

3. (c)ow

(c)ow Premium Member

-Return to Top-

This thread is a typical one where one asks "what should I keep", "what should I buy", "what lens should I take on this trip",....
    Ask a hundred people and you get a hundred answers. It's so much about personal preferences and use case. In the end it's up to you, totally.
    I personally bought a couple of lenses used and also sold those I rarely used again. Sure I loose some money by doing so. There was no shoot ever that I couldn't handle because I had a specific lens not at hand. I find it liberating to get rid of gear and not collecting things. Photo magazines? I used to collect them. What for? I never had a second look in one of them. All gone to recycling. You might think different. Books? I keep the ones where I see the chance to read them again. (Some books I read 2-3 times). The others go to the fleamarket or in the trash.
    If you don't need the money and have enough space on your shelves, keep it.

4. Mischa

Mischa Vintage lover

-Return to Top-

I would like to +1 what @beakhammer said.
    If there's a lens you only use once a year, it might be a better choice to just get a vintage lens and adapt that. (Unless it's the 100-400mm to shoot the local Formula 1 race, I'd probably not try that with a manual focus 400mm lens without loads of practice and a monopod :D )

Macros, Architecture (there are some amazing tilt/shift lenses out there, and even adapters with that function), landscapes (not ultra-ultra wides, especially not for small sensors) and other things can be done easily with adapted lenses that can be had for much less money than the digital lenses.

beakhammer likes this.
  5. Ryan0751

Ryan0751 Member

-Return to Top-

Haha, so much G.A.S. in this forum. Glad I'm not the only one.

So I've been obsessing more over this, and I think I will try to work with just the following stuff for a while and see if I miss any of the other stuff, and then make a final decision of what to do.

Keep:
    • X100F w/TC's
    • XT-2
    • 10-24mm
    • 18-55mm
    • 55-200mm
    • 100-400mm
    • 2X TC
    • 16mm F1.4
    • 23mm F1.4
    • 35mm F1.4
    • 56mm F1.2
    • 90mm F2
    That's still a whopping TEN lenses. But, it gives me a full set in the zoom range and a full set of primes for when I want to shoot fast and get the best quality. The X100F gives me a compact setup and prime shooting at F2.

I'm leaning towards selling the "big" lenses. The 16-55mm, and the 50-140mm in particular. A big reason I moved from Canon to Fuji was for the size, and although something like the 50-140 is an amazing lens, I rarely take it with me due to it's huge size. The 16-55 is also very good, but how much better than the 18-55 is it REALLY, for what I shoot? It's so much bigger, no IS, etc.

I actually do use the 100-400 a fair amount, though - which is why I didn't list it. I have a family place up in NH on a lake, and it's great for wildlife, catching people out on the water, etc. I tend to just leave it up there though, rather then shlep it home :)

So we'll see how this goes...

6. Bud James

Bud James Premium Member

-Return to Top-

Here is my list of Fuji gear:

Fuji XPro2 and X-T2. Battery grip for X-T2.
    Lenses (all XF):
    16 f1.4
    23 f2
    35 f2
    50 f2
    56 f1.2
    90 f2
    10-24 f4 OIS
    18-55 (kit lens)
    16-55 f2.8
    55-200
    50-140 f2.8
    100-400
    1.4x and 2x Fuji tele extenders

My travel kit:
    XPro2 and X-T2 bodies (same lenses and batteries provides a back up for each other)
    23 f2
    35 f2
    50 f2
    10-24 f4

On my next travels, these might be the lenses that will I take along with the two bodies:
    10-24 f4
    16-55 f2.8
    23 f2

I don't travel with the big zooms as they are too big and heavy. I use these for local events and outings.

I don't plan on selling any of my lenses as I use them all randomly through out the year.

Regards,
    Bud James

Please login to view links

Last edited: Sep 2, 2017
    apsphoto and liggy like this.
  7. Ryan0751

Ryan0751 Member

-Return to Top-

Damn you. Now you make me want to keep all my lenses. :)

8. (c)ow

(c)ow Premium Member

-Return to Top-

I started like you with the X-E2 to be LIGHT. got the 50-140 which is massive but I love it for portraits! When traveling I typically take only the 18-55 and the 14mm.

9. beakhammer

beakhammer Premium Member

-Return to Top-

I grew up in NH, and taught myself to sail in a canoe on Squam Lake.

10. derekwolrige

derekwolrige Active Member

-Return to Top-

If I had to keep a couple of lenses, it would be the 23mm prime and 50-140mm zoom.
    I find these focal lengths cover everything I need (families, kids, pets and weddings)

11. Bud James

Bud James Premium Member

-Return to Top-

Sorry.

12. Paul Levin

Paul Levin Well-Known Member

-Return to Top-

I used to worry about "losig money" not getting back what I paid. But now I realize, especially on lenses, if i buy a used lens for a trip, then end up selling it, I lose no more than what it would cost to rent it. Often it turns out better than renting. I used that philosphy when I picked up the 16 1.4 for my trip to England. The plan backfired...I'm keeping that kick-ass glass! But you see what I'm sayin'. :)

(c)ow likes this.