This site is supported by the advertisements on it, please disable your AdBlocker so we can continue to provide you with the quality content you expect.

Culling: Capture One, Photo Mechanic, Lightroom

Discussion in 'Fuji X Post Processing' started by streetsntravel, Nov 12, 2017 at 8:22 PM.

1. streetsntravel

streetsntravel Premium Member

-Return to Top-

I’ve noticed that Capture One and Photo Mechanic use similar photo rating systems. In particular, a star system and a separate color tag system.

Both systems are common to Lightroom. However, LR also allows tagging with “flagged, unflagged and rejected”. It’s these latter markings that I have used since LR’s inception to cull my photos. I find that it quickly creates three categories, that when individually reviewed allow me to not only pick the “best” images in a shoot, reliably create a “worst” images category and then use the intermediate - unflagged - category to see if I’ve missed any of the best/worst and if I need to re-categorize any of the unflagged for “story telling” purposes.

Capture One and Photo Mechanic do not have the “flagged” paradigm. Photo Mechanic does have a single tagged designation. That is a big help in selecting the best. But the remainder can still constitute a big portion to re-investigate if the goal is to also tell a story, not just grab the technical best.

Has anyone else been through this drill? I’m seriously considering Capture One as an Adobe alternative, simply because I find that the Capture One editing paradigm resonates a bit more with the way I think about editing and that it seems a bit easier to move a RAW image to my interpretation of what I was seeing in the viewfinder. CO also seems to be very Fuji X friendly and generally faster. When I was first wooed by LR, the brush paradigm that captured the basic photoshop tools was a much improved editing paradigm. However, it could be just my improved handling of photo editors, or actual philosophical difference with CO, but my preferences are swinging toward CO.

On the other hand, :) —— I’m very much entrenched in how I use LR to cull files. On paper it doesn’t seem like it should be much of a deal breaker, but in my reality, it might be.

I’d really appreciate hearing about how you use tagging to mark and cull photos in editors where you don’t use the simplistic “flagged, unflagged and rejected” tags.

Thanks, Roger

2. Ed Dumas

Ed Dumas Premium Member

-Return to Top-

So just use 5 star for pick, 3 star for not pick, 1 star for reject. Easy Peasy...no deal breaker if you like the other softwares better overall.

3. pszilard

pszilard RemektekMedia.com

-Return to Top-

You could easily make the conversion, by selecting your entire database, then only the Picked (flagged) images and apply whatever new method you choose, be it stars or colours.

I personally use stars for how good/bad an image is and colour for category, such as published or whatever. I may choose Red for Reject and Green for Picked, as an example.

4. rmd

rmd Premium Member

-Return to Top-

Oh how I love Lightroom culling. Ingest, flag, drill down with color, drill down with star. Filter star, release flagging and colour then finally flag the best of the stared bunch...web, print, show. Easy.

I know what you're talking about, having used Lightroom for so long with the above method always gets me my best picks. I suppose it's all 'muscle memory' but I'm sure I'll come up with a similar system when I move away from Lightroom.

5. SausalitoDog

SausalitoDog Premium Member

-Return to Top-

It's going to take an awful lot to get me to ever change my catalog again. I started with the English company that preceded Media Pro (MSFT bought them). Media Pro was pretty darn good but very slow with large catalogs. The earliest LR had problems with large catalogs as well...think it was around LR4 that they went "large" and I spent many hours converting my MP catalogs to LR. I now have about 180,000 images in my LR catalog. I can search in all the ways mentioned above plus any other I might dream of (I also meticulously add some keywords - many to certain images) and I can find anything in literally seconds.

That said, I see that Cap1 is maturing and really a consideration for adobe users. But before moving to that or any other catalog app, I would try importing my whole LR catalog and see just how well it works. I found that lots of little quirks in Media Pro were almost impossible to convert and I went through a number of tests and gyrations to make the switch. I'm assuming it might be just as hard to move from LR.

If you are not using all these features in LR, it might be easier to switch...but then you really weren't using LR in the first place...

6. rmd

rmd Premium Member

-Return to Top-

@SausalitoDog does Cap1 offer the filtering of dates, camera, lens and so on. Great to have when going through many images from the day or going through the catalogue. Curious, I am convinced of it's processing abilities just wondering about the dam it offers.

7. vague_logic

vague_logic Premium Member

-Return to Top-

Yes and more. Camera make, camera model even camera serial number. Lens, focal length, aperture, shutter speed, flash, white balance ISO and much more.

rmd likes this.
  8. kiwitracks

kiwitracks Premium Member

-Return to Top-

My culling in Photo Mechanic goes like that: First run to sort out anything out of focus, blinking model, etc. flag red. These are generally deleted instantly. Then second run using stars for quality assessment. Third run is then usually drilling down on the starred images (2 star images go further for processing). That way I keep my ok images without star, better images with 1 star and selected images with 2 stars. Sometimes I use color labels to indicate frames to use for a panorama or composite.
    Pretty straight forward and it's fast. And it covers essentially what you want with best, worst, undecided (and much more).

9. SausalitoDog

-Return to Top-

RMD

I see the answer is here already, but my experience with CapOne ended with ver 9. My point, not clearly explained is that the metadata from one app to another may or may not match up. Many of the field in Media pro had the same names as other apps but did not translate well to either LR or CapOne without a lot of fussing.

It's worth testing a transfer with a complete copy of your catalog before jumping in... if it goes well, you're set, if not, you'll know to get help before you use the new app in production.

cheers,

tom

10. kenbennett

kenbennett Premium Member

-Return to Top-

I've been using Photo Mechanic for this since forever. I use the T keyboard command to Tag images to keep during the first round of culling, then select all the untagged images and delete them. Then un-tag everything and go through them again, Tagging images that I want to process. Once I've done that I select all the tagged files and give them 5 stars, then import the folder into Lightroom for processing. The star ratings from PM convey to LR, the tags don't, which is the sole reason for that last step.

11. rmd

rmd Premium Member

-Return to Top-

I also tested Cap1 but in version 8 and at the time it wasn't so easy to replicate what I had in LR concerning organising and such so I moved on. Moving to now, It appears version 10 is much better concerning LR users. Over 10 years of digital covering 6 cameras and approximately 50,000 images broken up into 5 genre catalogues (I cull like mad to rid the crap) I'll give it another go, thanks @SausalitoDog and @vague_logic

12. SausalitoDog

-Return to Top-

Good luck...sounds like you will be fine. Hope it works out for you.

tom

rmd likes this.
  13. F2Bthere

F2Bthere Premium Member

-Return to Top-

0 stars is to be ignored, 1 star is in consideration. 2 stars is selected. Above two stars indicates greater value and likely to be processed for use.

If it makes sense, I vary the process for specific needs, but the usual process goes like this:

Set all the images to one star. Any blinks, blur issues or otherwise failed shots get set to zero. Anything picked gets set to two, or more if it is already apparent the image is a winner.

The process is often iterated over a couple sessions.

14. streetsntravel

streetsntravel Premium Member

-Return to Top-

Thank you everyone. There should be enough flexibility here to do most of what I want very easily. I'm currently on a CaptureOne trial and there are a lot of other questions for me to explore as I "test" this software - culling was of course one of the first things that I encountered that was significantly different. I actually like the editing and results of post processing in COP quite a bit. It's things like discussed here and the quirky way file selection is different that I'm always amused that I find "irritating", I'm just much more of a creature of habit than I care to think. So if I were wise, I'd think about it.