This site is supported by the advertisements on it, please disable your AdBlocker so we can continue to provide you with the quality content you expect.

Couldn't power off X-T3

Discussion in 'X-T3, X-T2, X-T1, X-T20, X-T10, X-T100' started by edere, Sep 29, 2018.

1. KevinTheT

KevinTheT Member

-Return to Top-

I received my T3 last week and today I encountered the problem mentioned above. I wasn't shooting when it happened - the camera was turned on and hanging from my shoulder - but when I put up to my face to take a photo the live view was on, no additional information was shown on the display, and the only thing that cleared this was to remove the battery. It then worked normally.

This is the first time this has happened. It was warm today, but no more than 85 degrees and the camera had mostly been in an air conditioned car.

Fuji needs to address this as part of what we pay for is a level of reliability.

lindyhop66 likes this.
  2. Goldingd

Goldingd Premium Member

-Return to Top-

Did a work out with my new copy today at Zion, this issue popped its nasty head about four hours in. Took out battery, put it in, back working, then noticed this battery was in the red. Changed out battery, about an hour later the issue re-occurred. This battery not at all spent, Both batteries new.

Now. I probably failed to turn off the camera while going thru the day, but I would expect battery drainage issues, not camera lock up.

Sounds like not an isolated issue.

I do not know if a more stringant use of the power off position while the camera dangles on the strap will help, doubt if it is a cause, but at least the camera would be off and not stuck.

Strike that, happened a third time just a few minutes after turning on. Not good.

Followup, silly me, left camera on all night, woke up and camera behaved.

Last edited: Oct 11, 2018
    lindyhop66 likes this.
  3. xilinx

xilinx New Member

-Return to Top-

Unfortunately, it is not an isolated issue: the store very kindly substituted my X-T3 body with a new one, but also the new one has the same issue.

This morning the lock up happened twice with the 50-140. I started shooting with the 16 mm F1.4 and everything was fine. After ten minutes, I changed the 16 mm with the 50-140 and I had the lock up.
    The first lockup was the "standard" one, while the second time I was not able to turn the camera on, like it happened to soholongue.

Maybe it is something that is triggered when you change the lens...I don't know.

The only way to solve the issue is to remove the battery.

lindyhop66 likes this.
  4. Nicolas St-Pierre

Nicolas St-Pierre New Member

-Return to Top-

I, too have experienced this issue several times since I got the X-T3 almost one month ago. As I live in Tokyo, a mere 1.5 km away from Fujifilm’s global headquarters, I took the camera there yesterday to report the problem.

I was told that the company is well aware of this problem and that its engineers are currently investigating the cause. They took my contact info and promised to be in touch as soon as they discover what is causing the problem and have found a solution for it. In the meantime, they apologized profusely for the inconvenience.

While this is really annoying, I am reassured that Fujifilm is taking the problem seriously. Let’s just hope they will fix this soon, ideally through a new firmware update.

5. scooterk77

scooterk77 New Member

-Return to Top-

Fuji had me return the camera since I had 5 lockups in an hour. I also bought a new SD card that reads and writes faster than the minimum standard of 150mbs. Fuji tech support discouraged from using Lexar cards so I went with a Sony G series SF-G32 card as a test unit. With the upgrade to FW 1.01, the new camera has been flawless. I shot for two hours today with burst mode on a good deal of the time and there were no lockups. From my end user perspective it seems like the SD cards may be the issue. If that's the case I think Fuji needs to post a notice on their website about minimum requirements for the camera, and perhaps even print it on the box the camera comes in.

So far, so good!

lindyhop66 likes this.
  6. xilinx

xilinx New Member

-Return to Top-

Nicolas, scooterk77, thanks for your messages.

I have two Lexar Professional SDHC, 32 GB, 300 MB/s, 2000x, UHS-II/U3.
    The model number is LSD32GCRBNA2000R and it is officially supported: see Please login or register to view links at the bottom of the page.

The two SDs have different revision versions, respectively Rev A and Rev C, but the lockups happen with both (if the issue is in some way related to the memory card).
    I used these two cards with my X-T20 without any issue.

The SD CARD could be the cause of the lockups and of the impossibility to turn the camera OFF: I am an embedded systems engineer and it happened also to me a couple of times...
    But it is difficult to find a relation between the SD CARD and the impossibility to turn the camera ON (the second issue we found): when you turn the camera on, the SD CARD is powered and it must be ready. No reasons to imagine something different.

Probably, we are in front of two completely different problems, caused by two different bugs.

lindyhop66 likes this.
  7. rob07

rob07 Member

-Return to Top-

8. rob07

rob07 Member

-Return to Top-

Hi, I also have a new X-T3. I have had a similar problem, where the camera locked and would not switch off. I had to remove the battery
    and replace it, then it was OK again. I also have Lexar sd cards SD HC II 32 GB. These cards never gave any problem in my X-T2. I
    would be interested in the cause of this problem. I am hoping it doesn't re-occur,

Robert

lindyhop66 likes this.
  9. KevinTheT

KevinTheT Member

-Return to Top-

I was using a 64 gb Sandisk Extreme PRO when it locked. It's a new card that hasn't been reformatted multiple times (cards are so cheap now I fill them then archive them along with saving the files to separate hard drives.)

According to the Fujifilm site, the Extreme PRO is a recommended X-T3 card: Please login or register to view links

For high speed burst shooting they recommend a UHS-II card. I was in single shot mode, and not even near the shutter button when I had a lockup.

lindyhop66 likes this.
  10. chrisgib

chrisgib New Member

-Return to Top-

Same happened to me this morning - camera locked up (goes 'dark' - as if the battery has died) and only came right when I removed and reinserted the battery. Irritating.