This site is supported by the advertisements on it, please disable your AdBlocker so we can continue to provide you with the quality content you expect.

Continuous AF not working, XT2

Discussion in 'X-T2, X-T1, X-T20, X-T10, X-T100' started by lhann, Feb 11, 2018.

1. lhann

lhann New Member

-Return to Top-

I cannot figure out what is happening. Surely I must be doing something wrong. The problem is that I can't make AF-C work (at all ). This is not a sophisticated problem like the dozens I have read about here already. AF-S works fine, which, for me, is all that I normally need. However, I would like to be able to use the AF-C capability when the situation arises where I need fast focusing on a moving subject.

The testing situation is extremely simple: I am just sitting here in my living room moving the camera about the room, aiming it at near and far objects while in AF-C mode, Preset 1 (yes, I made sure the switch on the front of the camera is in the correct position) . I am using zone focus, with both half- and non-shutter press having been tried. The focus does not shift at all as I move around the scene. This is about as benign a test as one could run. (This is not a wild action situation.) I would expect the focus to shift smoothly as I aim it at different parts of the scene. Is that an unfair assumption?

Surely I must be doing something wrong. I expect the probability of a camera technical problem to be about zero, so that leaves me.

I would appreciate someone telling me what I am doing wrong.

Thanks for your help.

2. Richard_R

Richard_R Eclectic eccentric Staff Member

-Return to Top-

What lens is fitted to the camera? Some of the fixed focal length lenses have a clutch arrangement that puts the lens itself into manual focus mode.

3. lhann

lhann New Member

-Return to Top-

Sorry, I should have mentioned the lens. I have been working with the normal kit lens: 18-55 2.9-4 OIS. I have not tried it with any other lens yet. I do have the 23mm f1.4, which has a clutch system of course, but I have been sticking with the kit lens. Manual focus works fine. The problem seems to be only on AF-C.

4. Marty M

Marty M Premium Member

-Return to Top-

I haven't used back button AF on my X-T2, but is it possible you have it set up that way? I'm just grabbing at things here, without actually checking it out.

5. Marty M

Marty M Premium Member

-Return to Top-

Scratch that idea....you did mention it worked in single focus.

6. lhann

lhann New Member

-Return to Top-

I have not set up the camera for back focus. I do have the Focus Lock button set for just that: so I can toggle focus lock on and off. I use the lock when shooting panos and don't want focus shifting as I pan. Of course, I also use exposure lock in the same situation for the same reason.

7. Doug Pardee

Doug Pardee Premium Member

-Return to Top-

What are the green AF indicator boxes doing? Some should come on when you initially half-press, indicating what it's going to try to track. Usually the boxes chosen will vary a bit, and as you begin to pan the camera is supposed to try to keep track of what it originally picked as the subject. A short time after that subject moves out of the zone, the camera should pick a new subject and start over.

Any expectations of "smoothness" in the process are probably over-optimistic.

Oh, and what f-stop are you at? If you're at f/9 or higher with AF-C, the camera only uses contrast-detect, which should give you a small (on the 18-55) but noticeable hunting effect. Also, in low light the phase-detect sensors may be unusable, forcing contrast-detect AF.

8. Marty M

Marty M Premium Member

-Return to Top-

Check these settings in your menu.

Untitled-1.png

9. FORUM USER

FORUM USER Premium Member

-Return to Top-

Hard to tell from your description but you are continually pressing the shutter button, and keeping it down, as you move around the room? Aren't you?

Last edited: Feb 12, 2018
  10. fatdeko

fatdeko Premium Member

-Return to Top-

My guess is that your testing procedure won't really work with tracking zone focusing. Try it with regular single point AF.
    With tracking turned on, the camera is looking for some thing that changes in the frame. If you move the camera around, the whole frame changes and the camera didn't have a thing to track.

11. FORUM USER

-Return to Top-

Works fine in my house. C on front switch/dial, preset1, zone focus. Half press of shutter, keep it at half press position, move around room. Camera shows multiple green AF boxes that shift and focus and refocus on the various items in my kitchen. No problems with C and continuous zone focus.

PreAf is set to off in menu system.

12. AdrianG

AdrianG Premium Member

-Return to Top-

Wild guess: I never use eye detect nor AF-C and it's almost two years since I read the XP2 user manual, but I seem to faintly remember eye detection disables AF-C?

13. FujiMongol

FujiMongol Premium Member

-Return to Top-

Just tried that, had to know, X-T2 (FW 3.0) keeps doing AF-C when face/eye detection was set to ON, even when there's yes or no a face in the view.

14. AdrianG

AdrianG Premium Member

-Return to Top-

Thanks for checking

15. AdrianG

AdrianG Premium Member

-Return to Top-

I knew there was yet another rubbish gimmick disabling AF-C, now I remember: I don't remember what they call them, but there are these useless filters you can activate somewhere, toy camera, and one where you can selectively have one colour appear in an otherwise b/w image, etc. These filters disable AF-C.

16. lhann

lhann New Member

-Return to Top-

I believe I have found the culprit: After checking the settings in the above chart, I found that the Shutter AF setting for AF-C was "off." I switched to "on" and the focusing on a shutter half-press works beautifully. I don't remember turning it off, so I assume this is the Default setting from the factory. (The camera is brand-new) I spent a lot of time going through almost all the other adjustments, setting the camera up for my shooting style, but never even saw this one. The flexibility of the settings for this camera is amazing, but also allows for human error to creep in.

At any rate, I am ready to start trying out AF-C, shooting some action images.

I want to thank all of you for your help and suggestions in this matter. You saved me from tearing out any more hair; I don't have much to start with.

17. FORUM USER

-Return to Top-

Can't be sure but I think the default is ON, so you may have been experimenting when you first got the camera :)
    A good one to change is the one mentioned in grey in the same table AE set to off. That way the camera constantly sets exposure during a burst, rather than relying on the exposure at first frame. Useful if tracking in variable conditions. It's your choice really it may be that you prefer a constant.

Glad you sorted it.

18. lhann

lhann New Member

-Return to Top-

Yes, I checked and made sure that the AE under AF-C was "off." Thanks for mentioning that, though. I appreciate your remarks.