This site is supported by the advertisements on it, please disable your AdBlocker so we can continue to provide you with the quality content you expect.

Confused by Aperture Priority

Discussion in 'X100F, X100T, X100S, X100, and X70' started by BA Fin, May 2, 2017.

1. BA Fin

BA Fin New Member

-Return to Top-

Thanks for the thought, but I am using the shutter dial, not the front wheel--reciprocals, not full seconds. Still looking for the magic answer that will keep me from needing to return the camera.

2. FrankBB

FrankBB Premium Member

-Return to Top-

This is a long shot, and may have already been asked, but have you confirmed the metering mode? For example, if you are in spot metering and move the spot just a bit from one shot to the next, depending on what the camera is pointed at, it could make a big difference. You want to be sure you really are metering on exactly the same thing and exactly the same way between shots when trying to figure this out.

3. BA Fin

BA Fin New Member

-Return to Top-

Thanks. The problem occurs irrespective of metering mode.

4. BA Fin

BA Fin New Member

-Return to Top-

Thanks to everyone who has helped me. I have succumbed to the inevitable and will ship the camera to Fuji this afternoon. I'll post the results of that interaction later.

5. juspeka

juspeka Member

-Return to Top-

Wow, I shipped mine off for repairs a week ago. Had it for a bit over 2 weeks, then all of the sudden started getting really weird exposure readings. My aperture seemed to be stuck at f2 physically, but changing the aperture with the aperture ring changed the values the camera thought it was using, thus the camera would calculate exposure with f8, but would actually take the photo with the aperture remaining at f2.

I was thinking I was extremely unlucky, hopefully we both are and this iteration isn't suffering from a wider sticky aperture blade -problem. I should be receiving mine back within a week or two.

6. BA Fin

BA Fin New Member

-Return to Top-

It sounds like we have extremely similar problems. Please keep us informed re Fujifilm's response.

7. juspeka

juspeka Member

-Return to Top-

I'm willing to bet we have the same problem. Increasing aperture in aperture priority would result in worse and worse over exposure, just like for you.

8. juspeka

juspeka Member

-Return to Top-

Any update on your camera @BA Fin ? Mine is stuck at some Fuji service center in Sweden or the UK, waiting for parts. It's been 3 weeks now, which is a real shame, since I've only owned the camera for a total of 5 weeks. Hope I receive it this week :/

9. BA Fin

BA Fin New Member

-Return to Top-

Having heard nothing since I mailed it in, I called today and was told that the problem was a "power board" that they replaced, and plan to ship back this evening. Will update further on receipt. Good luck juspeka, I feel your pain. By the way, I spent much of my waiting time reading various reviews and blogs and learned a lot about the camera.

10. juspeka

juspeka Member

-Return to Top-

Just got word that the Fuji repair center was unable to acquire the needed parts, so they will be sending me a brand new copy, which should be here during this week. Too bad my screen protector was attached, I'm guessing that won't be included with the new copy.

Hopefully my new copy is flawless. Hope your is also repaired and gives you many years of trouble free shooting @BA Fin :)

11. BA Fin

BA Fin New Member

-Return to Top-

I received my repaired x100f a couple of days ago. The repair technician said that the power board was replaced. All seems to work well now. FYI the firmware was not updated. Turnaround time was about 10 days which I think is pretty great. My only suggestions to the repair department would be that it would have been nice to have been better informed such as: (1) "We received your camera. We are sorry that you have been having problems, but we will address your issues as soon as possible. Your repair number is _____." (2) Your camera has been repaired under warranty. The actions we took are _____. We will ship the camera to you tonight by _____ and anticipate that you will receive the repaired camera on _____. Your tracking number is _____." Maybe a little picky, but I did pay $1300 for a device that became non functional less than 3 months after purchase.

That said, the camera is back and functioning well. Nothing wrong with the aperture blades after all.