This site is supported by the advertisements on it, please disable your AdBlocker so we can continue to provide you with the quality content you expect.

Concert; Judas Priest

Discussion in 'Photo Critique Forum' started by PsychoBram, Aug 9, 2018.

1. PsychoBram

PsychoBram Member

-Return to Top-

Hey, I'm photographing concerts for about 4 months now. I've shot some more interesting stages and bands last weekend. One of them was Judas Priest. I have one photo of the guitarplayer (Richie Faulkner) from which I like the colors, but not totally sure about the composition.
    I like to have your feedback/critique on this image (may be on every aspect of the photo).
    [​IMG]

2. LionSpeed

LionSpeed Premium Member

-Return to Top-

Love the color, contrast & sharpness. A little more head room would be nice. But I still love it otherwise. Thanks for sharing.

leoda1945 and PsychoBram like this.
  3. Chuck Carstensen

Chuck Carstensen Premium Member

-Return to Top-

Bram, its an OK image. I like the sharpness and accurate looking colors without being oversaturated. In my view, the composition is lacking because the artist head is way too close to the top of the frame. For help I would make this a square image and eliminate the spotlight. I recommend you complete your copyright information in camera. You should add the words All Rights Reserved unless you subscribe to Creative Commons. I hope you have a model release.

4. PsychoBram

PsychoBram Member

-Return to Top-

Thanks. I could give it more headroom, but then I will loss a part of the guitar. A good point to keep in mind for a next show :)

Mhh, a square image would be possible I guess. I'll try it :) Thanks!
    How do you mean the copyright part? Replace copyright with 'All Rights Reserved', or must my name also be in the copyright-line?
    I don't have a clue how it works with all the copyright stuff and what 'Creative Commons' is. Guess this is something I should read more about! :)

5. smb60

smb60 Active Member

-Return to Top-

For me this is just a fan snapshot. As for the photograph the entire frame is out of focus except for the artist guitar. Try focusing on their face.

PsychoBram likes this.
  6. zen

zen Premium Member

-Return to Top-

awesome, love priest, going to see them in september for the fifth time.

PsychoBram likes this.
  7. tijuana taxi

tijuana taxi Premium Member

-Return to Top-

Nice photo, don't recognise the guitarist though, but haven't seen them since the Rainbow, London in 1980
    Hope they still play Beyond The Realms Of Death, great solo in that song and can almost hear that flying V pictured

PsychoBram likes this.
  8. Irene McC

Irene McC Premium Member

-Return to Top-

It's a great pic - I'd crop in tight (then the headroom is also not an issue) but do show the full instrument.
    It's just me - but I hate stage lighting, so I've B&W converted it. I think it looks strong.

BW Judas Priest fuji forum 8x10.jpg

YogiMik, PsychoBram and vague_logic like this.
  9. PsychoBram

PsychoBram Member

-Return to Top-

Thanks for the feedback. I don't understand what you mean by 'just a fan snapshot', I can't see it like that. Can you please explain it? :)
    And yes, the focus point wasn't at the right position. That's something I still need to master, because of the quick movements in livemusic, I'm sometimes too late switching focuspoints. Tips? :)
    If the focus was better, the reflection in the sunglasses would also be better.

This is a 'new' guitarist who's in the band since 2011 when KK Downing left Priest. He's a real entertainer and great player! They didn't play Realms of Death :(

I actually converted the image in B&W in the first place, but I like the colors in the image and I'm trying to do less B&W concertphoto's (there are many who do that already).
    But still, the B&W looks powerfull! And I still like it. The crop looks better, thanks for the feedback and example! :)

10. Irene McC

Irene McC Premium Member

-Return to Top-

:) I know ...

PsychoBram likes this.
  11. Price

Price Premium Member

-Return to Top-

I find this image very pleasing in many ways. You’re right there on him (no mic stands or booms in the way). You’ve captured the great stage lighting, and of course this type of lighting is saturated and garish. This is theatre for heavens sake! But most of all I love the diagonals in the composition. Diagonals communicate excitement to the viewer. The guitar is a dominant diagonal in the foreground, and there are opposing diagonals in the background. I don’t know whether you composed this way intentionally, but I would be looking for these all the time if the camera were in my hands.

PsychoBram likes this.
  12. cosmo

cosmo Well-Known Member

-Return to Top-

Rocking photo-- I love the powerful contrast, color, tight framing and diagonals.
    Personal preference: I would crop in left and right to a 4x5 ratio, crop tight to the guitar headstock, and keep the stage light in there because the color is so delicious.
    Love it.

PsychoBram likes this.
  13. Chuck Carstensen

Chuck Carstensen Premium Member

-Return to Top-

Example: © 2018 PsychoBram - All Rights Reserved

That gives you maximum protection in the USA, is most restrictive.

Here are two links for your future reference. I use Creative Commons because I like to share my work. Full blown copyright is for photographers who actually sell their work for money.

Please login or register to view links

Please login or register to view links

Your image is copyrighted the very instant it is created, nothing can change that. You cannot sell or publish this image without permission. The model CAN come after you thereby creating liability.

Best,

Chuck

14. AnthonyM

AnthonyM Premium Member

-Return to Top-

A copyright notice has no legal effect, but may be useful in practice because it reminds people that they cannot copy without your permission.

Brian Kimball likes this.
  15. YogiMik

YogiMik Premium Member

-Return to Top-

Looks better. I'd block a lil' bit more blacks in this image, to show less distracting details.

PsychoBram likes this.
  16. Tara Elizabeth

Tara Elizabeth Moderator Staff Member

-Return to Top-

I think it looks fantastic. I agree that the closer crop makes the lack of head room less of an issue. As for the focus being on the guitar rather than the artist's face, I often take shots like that since my husband likes his guitar and hands to be the focus. The colors are what truly stand out to me.

PsychoBram likes this.
  17. (c)ow

(c)ow Premium Member

-Return to Top-

So many personal preferences, here‘s mine ;)
    - definitely the color version
    - crop 2x3 or 3x4 to give more head room. Why use one of the standard ratios? Use the one the frames your subject best.
    - keep the stage light. It’s the starting point for the viewer! Typically an image is viewed from left to right (only in the western hemispheres? Do Japanese look from top to button? Chinese from right to left? No idea...). Leads to the guitar which leads to the players face. Good composition with the diagonals.
    - take out the mic on the right with LR clone stamp or PS (if you’re on Adobe). This is distracting me. Maybe darken this area a little so the guy stands out a bit more.
    - who cares about the correct focus point? It’ a great image!

Oli

cosmo and PsychoBram like this.
  18. PsychoBram

PsychoBram Member

-Return to Top-

Wow guys, didn't expect this much feedback! Thanks a lot :)

My response to some points:
    - I'm gonna crop it so the headroom will come out better
    - After a lot of doubting; I'm gonna keep the colored version.
    - I'll remove the mic stand on the right - I didn't think about doing this, thanks for the tip (c)ow!

Tara Elizabeth and cosmo like this.