This site is supported by the advertisements on it, please disable your AdBlocker so we can continue to provide you with the quality content you expect.

Completely baffled by the AF options!

Discussion in 'X-T2, X-T1, X-T20, X-T10' started by cheddar-caveman, Jan 23, 2018.

1. FujiMongol

FujiMongol Member

-Return to Top-

I think that too, because for full press you have to go past half press too.

That page 231 is saying that if AF-S and/or AF-C are set to OFF then the whole AF system will not be engaged by the shutter button at all, you need to assign another button to activate the AF system like for example the back-button for the Back Button Focus (BBF) friends. I think that is not what you are searching for cheddar-C , what you want is a re-focus between each bursted pic.

Presuming the page 231 settings are both set to ON:
    In AF-S it does not re-focus between CL shots, it keeps focus firm to the very first time you pressed, I just checked that out. While in AF-C it does re-focus between CL shots.

2. cheddar-caveman

cheddar-caveman Premium Member

-Return to Top-

Yes both AF-C and AF-S are set to "ON". So you say that in CL it does refocus between shots - how about CH, theoretically the same scenario so should do? That's what I am trying to establish.
    If not then one should only use CL for BIF and similar moving subjects.

3. FujiMongol

FujiMongol Member

-Return to Top-

CL and CH is the same in that regard, I just checked that out of my lazy chair.
    So for BIF you're bound to AF-C I'm afraid as mentioned by Greybeard.

Side note:
    On the next manual page 232 is same story for EXPOSURE to lock or not on the shutter-press.
    People who pan on CL or CH usually set the AE-lock to OFF in AF-C usage, so that the exposure also can vary between all the pics taken, just like a new focus between all the pics. In a youtube vid is was suggested to set it so for panning CH or CL, because the panning can create new lightening situations for each pic. If the AE was locked (setting = ON in AF-C) to the shutter then all the pics in the burst row would have lightening as the very first pic while pressing shutter. So we can choose.

Last edited: Feb 13, 2018
  4. Doug Pardee

Doug Pardee Well-Known Member

-Return to Top-

AF-C stays actively tracking during a burst. One of the big AF Please login or register to view links was the reduced blackout, which means much more time between shots in a burst for the AF-C to reacquire the target and adjust the focus. From that link: "You can track a fast-moving subject more easily for an extended period of time during continuous shooting."

Note: for some older models, AF-C is unable to track during a burst if you're using ES (electronic shutter). Consult your manual's section on MS/ES selection. See, for example, Please login or register to view links which says, "When the electronic shutter is used ... in burst mode, focus and exposure are fixed at the values for the first shot in each burst."

By the way, Fujifilm has Please login or register to view links, and there are some independently authored books that go into considerable detail on how to get the most from your Fuji X-system camera.

FujiMongol likes this.
  5. cheddar-caveman

-Return to Top-

Many thanks Doug, that's what I washing to find out! I'll go into the manual MS/ES and READ!!

6. FujiMongol

FujiMongol Member

-Return to Top-

No limitations here for X-T2 fw3.0. It keeps nicely AF-C running under ES.

7. kerrydeare

kerrydeare X-T1 Diehard

-Return to Top-

I'm still shooting X-T1 cameras (and with great joy), but find this entire thread very interesting. I deny myself new camera bodies until I'm convinced the X-T1 cannot meet my needs.

Meanwhile I note that mastering focusing on the X-T2 still generates interest (and uncertainty) among well-informed users, and this after being on the market over one and a half years. Good luck to duffers like me.

Charzes44 likes this.
  8. cheddar-caveman

-Return to Top-

One thing to be aware of using the ES is the HUGE number of frames it captures in a very short period of time. I tried tracking a duck flying over and then had to wait minutes for the camera to process the 60!!! frames it had taken :D I thought the thing was bust with the red processing light stuck on!!
    And yes, I am using a very fast SanDisc Extreme PRO 95Mb/s card!

9. Jonimages

Jonimages Premium Member

-Return to Top-

Using ES for BIFs isn't recommended. I tried it for BIFS and due to the nature of ES there's too much distortion. It's a nice effect if you want to simulate what Picasso would be like if he were a photographer. To get the maximum benefit you need to use UHS-II 300 mb cards.

lawsofphysics likes this.
  10. Greybeard Photography

Greybeard Photography Premium Member

-Return to Top-

I've been waiting for the 300MB/Sec cards to drop a little in price - the 64GB version was £8 cheaper on Amazon this morning - hopefully a trend.

11. cheddar-caveman

-Return to Top-

I only did it to see what happened! Quite honestly, I cannot envisage when I would need such capture speeds that the ES gives in CH, certainly very happy with the SanDisc 94Mb/s card.
    I see the UHS-II is around £100 at the moment - can't justify that :(

12. lysander

lysander If at 1st you don’t succeed, lower your standards.

-Return to Top-

I picked up two SanDisk 300 MBs for $64 USD each. Kind of expensive but all memory products are high right now.

13. Greybeard Photography

Greybeard Photography Premium Member

-Return to Top-

The 32GB version is currently £66 and the 64GB version is £117.

14. cheddar-caveman

-Return to Top-

Right, saw this chopper coming in fast and low so set AF to C, focus area to ZONE and shutter to CH. As it approached I just hit the shutter release and followed it. This is shot number about 5/6/7 so the focus did track perfectly well. Now for a bird, or two.....

By the way, can one show the focus points in an image??

ISO 3200, 400mm, f11 @ 1/3000

Anybody know what type this is? Apache?

MJOD9862.jpg

Last edited: Feb 15, 2018 at 7:35 PM
  15. darkslide

darkslide Member

-Return to Top-

Please login or register to view links

16. cheddar-caveman

-Return to Top-

17. cheddar-caveman

-Return to Top-

Had a Little Egret fly over on my walk this morning so gave it a go! Settings C2, shutter CH, ISO 3200 (could have bought that down a bit but no time) f6.3 @ 1/8000

Images OK but still, to me, a little fuzzy in places otherwise big improvement.

MJOD9892.jpg

MJOD9895.jpg

MJOD9896.jpg

Fujiphotog likes this.
  18. Jonimages

Jonimages Premium Member

-Return to Top-

Another tip if you are using the 100-400 for birds and action with a fast shutter speed. It’s recommended to turn off IS on the lens.

19. cheddar-caveman

-Return to Top-

Yes, funny you should say that! I thought that after the latest effort as it will try to hold the frame where it is and you don't want that!

20. Jonimages

Jonimages Premium Member

-Return to Top-

If you want IS on the lens, the second best thing to do is go into the menu and switch to IS mode 2. It's in the Shooting Settings.