This site is supported by the advertisements on it, please disable your AdBlocker so we can continue to provide you with the quality content you expect.

Cards... 95 MB/s vs 300 MB/s

Discussion in 'X-T3, X-T2, X-T1, X-T20, X-T10, X-T100' started by XT2_DUDE2, Dec 6, 2018.

1. XT2_DUDE2

XT2_DUDE2 New Member

-Return to Top-

I normally plug in the camera to my laptop and just transfer the files like that.

I figured the card reader would be slower? Plus if the camera is plugged in, then you can just charge it with the laptop when you're done dumping the photos.

2. pw-pix

pw-pix Premium Member

-Return to Top-

Unlikely, camera manufacturers seem to use older, cheaper chipsets for things like USB, the card reader can be USB 3 and should beat the camera.

3. Greybeard Photography

Greybeard Photography Premium Member

-Return to Top-

Maybe true but the X-T2 has aUSB 3 port

pw-pix likes this.
  4. ojporqpojrewpo

ojporqpojrewpo Premium Member

-Return to Top-

The Sandisk Extreme Pro claim 95/90. Other cards are often 80/30 or similar.

5. gyoung

gyoung Premium Member

-Return to Top-

I thought you need uhs-ii cards for 4k video? And also in the XT3 for butst mode etc.

Gerry

6. Jonimages

Jonimages Premium Member

-Return to Top-

You don't. UHS-II cards are if you need to clear the buffer quicker for burst modes and quicker transfer downloads to the hard drive. If you only occasionally shoot in burst mode UHS-II cards may not be worth the extra money.

roalk and gyoung like this.
  7. roalk

roalk Premium Member

-Return to Top-

My experience with the 95MB/s cards last weekend supports this. Although the bursts I shot were limited to a maximum of about 10 shots I had no buffer problems at all.
    Could be a different story with longer bursts but I didn't shoot any of those so I can't comment on that.

gyoung and Photoron like this.
  8. pw-pix

pw-pix Premium Member

-Return to Top-

For my use the 95 mb/s cards have been fine, but I don't do video.
    It's such a big jump in price to the 300 mb/s ones too.

9. gyoung

gyoung Premium Member

-Return to Top-

Still getting used to the X-T3 after only a month and bought a couple of UHS-II cards to start with so I would have all capabilities available.
    In the X-Pro2 I have been using the 90mb/s ones, I dont shoot video with it but I did some tests a few months ago after I took my Nikon D7000 out to do some cycling, it would only do 11 shots before the buffer filled and took ages to clear the old 30mb/s cards that were in it. The X-Pro2 would do 31 shots to fill the buffer and from memory took about 35 secs to clear it using the 90mb/s cards. All these are shooting raw + fine to both cards in parrallel.
    Most stuff I do in bursts is 6-10 shots of the grandchildren playing on swings etc, even the Nikon did that. Interestingly a pair of 45 mb/s Sandisk cards took longer to clear the buffer in the Nikon than the 30mb/s ones did. Ptesumably their write speed is poor.
    I suspect I shall be using uhs-l cards in the X-T3 with the 300mb/s ones in reserve as they are 3-4 times more expensive.
    Like most of us I expect I have a wide selection of cards built up over the years, even the 64mb one that came 'free' with my wife's first point & shoot. Barely get 2 Fuji shots on that!

Gerry

10. cug

cug Premium Member

-Return to Top-

Burst rate photos need more bandwidth, but can use buffer and slow down. The X-T3 requires up to 50MB/s (400Mb/s) for 4k video recording. But it can also do 20fps at full sensor readout with RAW + JPEG – which go to buffer and from buffer to card. The 20 images can easily over 500MB per second (for compressed raws), so 10x the movie bandwidth. The faster you can store these to card, the faster you can keep shooting.

I think as long as you have 90MB/s read and write, you'd be covered for all but the most extreme continuous shooting situations.

Update: corrected my math, hope I remember the size correctly (assuming about 25MB per raw)

pw-pix likes this.