This site is supported by the advertisements on it, please disable your AdBlocker so we can continue to provide you with the quality content you expect.

Capture One subscription pricing

Discussion in 'Post Processing Forum' started by Musicophile, Mar 30, 2018.

1. Musicophile

Musicophile Premium Member

-Return to Top-

I just noticed that Capture One has recently raised the pricing from €12 per month to €20 per month.

€12 monthly = € 144 annually was quite competitive compared to €279 one off purchase plus annual updates around €119, plus I didn’t have to decide whether to pay for upgrades, I just get them the moment they are released.

€20 monthly = €240 annual ie paying nearly the full purchase price every year or twice the annual update cost, this really doesn’t make any financial sense at all to me.

My current subscription is about to auto renew. But Capture One doesn’t say whether Ill be continue paying €12 or whether they will have me pay €20 going forward. I presume they cannot raise prices without actively telling me. But basically this means I really can never cancel my Capture One subscription ever again if I don’t want to lose my legacy pricing.

Overall, I was much more positive about the subscription model than many in the photo community. €12 felt like a fair amount for my favorite hobby on a monthly basis (basically the price of one analog film plus development cost).

But the recent completely illogical price raise on the subscription shows the limitations of a subscription model, where you are really at the mercy of the pricing policy of the manufacturer. And when you stop paying, you basically have nothing.

I’m currently considering just cancelling the subscription and buying v11 full price (minus the 10% discount code that are easy to find), so I can always simply just stop buying upgrades and still have a working version.

What do people think?

2. RonFleet

RonFleet Premium Member

-Return to Top-

I purchased v7 then v10 and haven't felt the need to upgrade since. A subscription, for me, would be a waste of money. The improvements between releases are no longer that important to me, as an amateur. Likewise, I have Photoshop Elements v14 and can't see any need, for me, for any further updates.

3. Bud James

Bud James Premium Member

-Return to Top-

I purchase the software outright too. I'm using v11, the latest version.

Regards,
    Bud James

Please login or register to view links

4. FujiMongol

FujiMongol Premium Member

-Return to Top-

Idem dito.
    V10 to V11 was a great improvement imho.

5. YogiMik

YogiMik Premium Member

-Return to Top-

It's always good to have a own copy with installer on your hard drive.
    I consider subscription as a scam. They start with low pricing as a bite to hook people on, then tighten the leash, rise the price up, eliminate the standalone version.
    This is the way Adobe is doing. Some tools are only available as a cloud service. Your workstation needs to be constantly connected to the net. When you stop subscription, or away from internet, you loose some tools. When you reinstall your OS, you loose your software you've payed for so many years.
    My logic is simple. If I do not have a installer on my drive, that means, I'm not owning, but renting the program. So, it is not one off payment, and keep the product for life. It is constant payment for life to use the product you need. I think, Big Pharma have invented this trick.

DaveX, daggy and Dirk Offringa like this.
  6. ojporqpojrewpo

ojporqpojrewpo Premium Member

-Return to Top-

The C1 subscription has never looked attractive to me. It seems way too expensive compared to buying the software upfront. I only hope that they won't go subscription-only like Adobe.

YogiMik likes this.
  7. FujiMongol

-Return to Top-

If they go subscription only they'll lose me as a client. Paying 240 each year + taxes = 290 / year. I was counting on the upgrade prices for the long term future, not the double of it.

Btw that 10% discount can be had per different internet sites, while it's Fuji users that truly deserve it given the poor Fuji integration compared to the other brands.
    I hope they integrate more models and lenses of Fuji. Fuji deserves better. :mad: For now we must be glad with recognizing shooting parameters.

YogiMik likes this.
  8. Musicophile

-Return to Top-

Thanks all.

I guess they just have lost me as a subscription customer as well.

I’ll let my subscription run out in April and just purchase the full version.

Subscription basically relied on trust. By nearly doubling the subscription price (without any fundamental additional benefit for the user) they‘ve lost mine.

It’s a pity. I actually kind of like the subscription business model. Paying a certain access fee for in return a service of continuous uogrades totally makes sense to me.

But it really only works if it is predictable for the customer, which is what software pricing teams apparently haven’t realized yet.

Trust is easily lost and much harder to get back. I really wonder if somebody at Phase One has thought this through.

YogiMik likes this.
  9. Musicophile

-Return to Top-

I actually really like their continuous updates, although I’m sn amateur myself.

I agree they are not necessarily essential but each subsequent version made the software incrementally better, at least to me.

The new layers based approach in v11 may not look like a big change compared to v10‘s local adjustments tab, but it makes the workflow really much more straightforward and flexible.

10. F2Bthere

F2Bthere Premium Member

-Return to Top-

The upgrades have been pretty frequent, so the subscription model has been a pretty good deal.

What I like about C1 is that you get the choice.

Also, I understand the Fuji-based complaints, but let's be real. Adobe has done a horrible job supporting Fuji in general and, other than GFX, C1 has done a great job with Fuji files. Yes, there was a delay in supporting compressed files, but there was good reason for that.

And C1 has been giving us real, usable feature upgrades. LR not nearly so much.

Mike-Photos, Musicophile and YogiMik like this.
  11. Aphotographer

Aphotographer Premium Member

Logtown, CA (Northern Foothills of the Sierras

-Return to Top-

I purchased V10 and found it didn't work for my X-E3, I patiently waited for the update and what I got was an offer to buy V11. I already subscribe to Adobe, I'll not go down another road at the price Capture One is asking and I'll not purchase a $300 program to get a one camera update. Phooey on them!

YogiMik likes this.
  12. Rantercsr

Rantercsr Well-Known Member

-Return to Top-

So not even camera updates if i purchase?

Meaning if i bought it today...id be stick with the version that doesnt support the xh1, until I spent another $300(or what ever it cost )

13. Musicophile

-Return to Top-

The next version update is not until December id presume the xh1 will be supported before that.

14. F2Bthere

F2Bthere Premium Member

-Return to Top-

Incremental updates are free (10.5 to 10.6--made up example numbers) but going from 10 to 11--full version upgrades--costs money. My observation is that full version upgrades are substantial and have worthwhile and significant new features.

You can download a trial for free. And they seem to let you try it again with updated versions.

It isn't for everyone. C1 is powerful. C1 is stable. C1 does a much better job out of the box with Fuji files and the simple tools (exposure, shadow, highlight, etc) work phenomenally well. LR, not so much.

YogiMik and Musicophile like this.
  15. Musicophile

-Return to Top-

Good news in the end.

I ended up cancelling my subscription just in time, and just purchased v11.

And I was able to use their Easter special that included the Cinematic and Film style packs for free (running out in some hours).

So a good deal overall I'd say, given their rather ambitious pricing on the style packs, I actually saved some money.

F2Bthere and YogiMik like this.
  16. DaveX

DaveX Premium Member

-Return to Top-

I am just trying the 30 day free trial, as last night I got Affinity Photo, so want Capture One Pro to work side by side with AP, as thinking about dumping all my adobe stuff.

Musicophile likes this.
  17. FujiMongol

-Return to Top-

@DaveX : as expected there is a Capture One learning curve which is hard to cover in one month.
    With LR, I got faster good results with a lesser steep learning curve, things went more intuitive.

With C1Pro, some really important "tricks of the trade" are not intuitive to grab. To compensate this, what I really appreciate enormously is the comprehensive set of youtube lessons given by David Grover of PhaseOne. You don't have to search for various youtube vids made by as much various wisdom guru's in the hope to cross one that you need and like. No, with C1 you save on browsing-what-you-need, just go straight to the C1 channel and get them ALL on a top lesson level presented on a silver plate. I am baffled by David Grover's lessons, they are that good and free. But it's a lot of those 1 hours vids to dig trough, never difficult but always time consuming. No wonder you don't see as much lesson-vids made by others, there's hardly a gap to fill. The C1 channel was one of the reasons I decided to pay for C1, too keep such initiatives up and running. Getting started will work out, but getting better/good you'll need a lot more than a month. This applies in general for all apps but more for C1 was my subjective point. But perhaps you already knew.

DaveX, YogiMik and Musicophile like this.
  18. DaveX

DaveX Premium Member

-Return to Top-

Thank you, since I switched from Canon to Fuji I havd been thinking about an all new editing switch. I will watch some video`s on C1 but I will end up learning how I did when using LR6 and PSE15, I love to try everything out and learn from my mistakes so I am looking forward to it all.

19. FujiMongol

-Return to Top-

Also I've found Iridient X-transformer an unnecessary step using C1 (on Windows).
    Good luck with the digital explorations DaveX.

DaveX likes this.