This site is supported by the advertisements on it, please disable your AdBlocker so we can continue to provide you with the quality content you expect.

Capture One Pro 11 HELP/PLEASE

Discussion in 'Photos taken with non-Fuji Cameras (specify!)' started by DaveX, May 16, 2018.

1. DaveX

DaveX Premium Member

-Return to Top-

The two photos were taken with a Non Fuji camera hence why I`ve put this here. I am trying to open a new catalog which shows in the first shot, then the second shots shows that the photos are not in a folder and all over the place. Can someone please help, I have tried two forums and the bloke who wants to help but only using Skype, I don`t do Skype. Please help. @jknights

P4530001.JPG

This is wrong, why and how can I do it better.

P4530003.JPG

Last edited: May 16, 2018
  2. vague_logic

vague_logic Premium Member

-Return to Top-

In the "Import" dialogue box make sure that "Import To" is set to "Inside Catalogue". If it is not, the image files are left wherever they are as "referenced files". Also, you can set the preference to either delete from the original location on import or, leave the originals behind as copies. Then you can create your own virtual folder/album structure to move recent imports into.

jknights and DaveX like this.
  3. DaveX

DaveX Premium Member

-Return to Top-

Thank you very much for that, I will go and try it now.

4. jknights

jknights Moderator Staff Member

-Return to Top-

I dont use Catalogs in COP but use Sessions.
    I manually download my images from my various cameras to a camera/month directory.
    I catalog in LR6.14 and then post process in COP and later edit in Photoshop CS6.

DaveX likes this.
  5. DaveX

DaveX Premium Member

-Return to Top-

I use to enjoy using another forum for doing a weekly 52, I asked on there and got a pm saying do skype. I pm back saying I don`t do skype, so then asked in here and great I got an answer to How too and for that I say thank you very much. Of the 3 forums I use, this one and the one I am a supporter of will now be my main forums.

DSCF0815.jpg

Rubyjon, jknights and Shadowside like this.
  6. ysarex

ysarex Premium Member

-Return to Top-

Nice red peony. See if you can re-process it without blowing out the red channel. You should be able to retain detail in the flower petals.

DaveX likes this.
  7. jknights

-Return to Top-

Yes indeed.
    It should be easy to selectively reduce luminosity in red channel only.
    I find the fine controls of COP to be much easier to use than those in LR. However this is just my personal preference and I am sure that other find the reverse. Personal workflows are just that..... personal!

DaveX likes this.
  8. DaveX

DaveX Premium Member

-Return to Top-

I really do like this C1, but I know I will be asking a lot of How too`s but look forward to learning with it. Here is the shot just toned down a bit, any better ?

DSCF0815.jpg

9. jknights

-Return to Top-

Yep, but the hot spots need just a little more toning down especially the lower left one. ;)

DaveX likes this.
  10. DaveX

DaveX Premium Member

-Return to Top-

I have not got a clue what I am doing, but I am enjoying it.

DSCF0815.jpg

11. jknights

-Return to Top-

So nearly perfect. Well done.
    You have done something to the green leaves now though. I could live with it as the red is now good with detail in the petals.
    Did you use a mask when you adjusted the red?

Who said that PP was easy?

DaveX likes this.
  12. DaveX

DaveX Premium Member

-Return to Top-

Not easy but I am having fun, I got the colour circles up and just had a play/try moving them.

13. pointreyes

pointreyes Premium Member

-Return to Top-

Play with the red channel in the Curves section. Here's an example with a less red peony. My greens will not be as intense as yours because I didn't have sunlight on the plant.
    XP2B9069 copy.jpg

DaveX likes this.
  14. DaveX

DaveX Premium Member

-Return to Top-

Thanks for that, tried in curves dropped the green a bit then on the red ?

DSCF0817.jpg

15. pointreyes

pointreyes Premium Member

-Return to Top-

The red looks good. I'm not sure about the greens. Could try layering - something I still haven't tried with C1.

This free tutorial might be helpful. Please login or register to view links

DaveX likes this.
  16. ru2far2c

ru2far2c Premium Member

-Return to Top-

Dave-
    If I may make a suggestion. Head over to Capture One's site and check out there on line videos. I have found them very helpful. Not only for starting out and organizing image files. I like some other use sessions and not catalogs. Any way jknight has a good grip on C1 Pro as do a few others in the Post processing section of the forum. C1 is great piece of software. Once you conquer the learning it is great fun! Enjoy and happy snappin'

DaveX and jknights like this.
  17. FujiMongol

FujiMongol Premium Member

-Return to Top-

Something I found not effective in C1 is the highlight recovery slider (dynamic range tab) to heal the blownout highlight blinkers, in LR it is very effective (the highlight slider), not so in C1.
    1) the level of highlight tempering is not very huge using that slider in C1;
    2) that slider does more than just eliminating the highlights, it affects another part of the midtones too as if the whole curve is a bit compressed to the left.

What works immensely effective for eliminating your highlight blinkers is staying away from that dynamic range tab, and head for the color grading (color balance tab IIRC) and choose the "highlight wheel" and lower the curved slider at the right of the wheel. Just a tad down and all of your blown outs melt like snow in the sun without affecting the complete rest of your curve.

Some of you have probably itching fingers now to tell me I had my exposure not correct while shooting, and that this is the reason why my dynamic range slider was unable to recover the blinkers enough. That is right but only partly in my humble opinion.
    In C1 you can obtain certain effects in several ways, for example rising contrast using:
    - contrast slider (in exposure tab)
    - manipulating curve (RGB or LUMA differs in effect)
    - manipulating levels (RGB or CHANNELS differs in effects)
    - clarity slider (is something in between the Contrast slider and the curve S-shaping)
    - the color wheels (in color balance tab): the white to black attenuation at the right of the 3 wheels (low - mid - high)
    - what I forgot?

But all these "possibilities" have a different effect of contrast on the pic, and what worked perfect for one pic might not be for another. The S curve is not always the best for all pics. So instead of "complex" I see it more like many tools to choose from according to the pic at hand. Often I use a combination of possibilities. Be ready to invest time and making mistakes! But I love doing that, too each his own.

This way I find it not obligate to use the dynamic range tab "highlight recovery slider" solely to concur the highlight blinkers, nor would see that slider as the perfect judge about my exposure. If I can use another tab's slider to completely eliminate my blinkers (as per highlight wheel as I mentioned) then my sensor exposure was not blown out in the first place.

Last edited: May 17, 2018
    jknights and DaveX like this.
  18. DaveX

DaveX Premium Member

-Return to Top-

Nice one and thank you for that, have just bookmarked it so will go through that.

19. DaveX

DaveX Premium Member

-Return to Top-

Thank you both, I am looking forward to using C1 more now.