This site is supported by the advertisements on it, please disable your AdBlocker so we can continue to provide you with the quality content you expect.

Can*n pro 100s vs 10s ink/pigment

Discussion in 'Printing (Instax and others)' started by hectorlektor, Feb 12, 2018.

1. hectorlektor

hectorlektor Premium Member

-Return to Top-

Is there any economical difference between the ink and the pigment? Is the pigment cartridges goin to produce more prints per cassette? Otherwise, if the cost is about the same I might as well go with the 100s since I don't really print B&W that often and the new 100+ ink is much better than the older 100 ink imo.

2. George Komiotis

George Komiotis AKA Photogeo180

-Return to Top-

The main difference between the two is print longevity (pigment is better than dye).
    Another difference is that the color output of the Pro-100 is a little glossier than the Pro-10 (dye give more color punch than pigment).
    Overall the Pro-100 is considered more economical use and maintenance wise, but do not expect any dramatic differences there.
    Last if you sell your prints, I suggest you stick with Canon OEM as they offer the maximum quality and longevity wise.
    Hope this helps :)

3. hectorlektor

-Return to Top-

Oh I thought the 10s since its the more expensive one would have more economical prints.
    I always use canons own ink with my current a4 canon printer.

I read that quality wise its more or less only in b&w that you get a slight magenta cast in the 100 prints. But maybe there is a way to override that with profiles and editing.

4. hectorlektor

-Return to Top-

Hmmm read a little online about the 100s and B&W, and it seems almost impossible to get neutral results. Maybe I should get the 10s since my friend has a 10 (I read that the difference is wifi) and he gets true neutral black and white prints, so it works on the 10 at least.

5. George Komiotis

George Komiotis AKA Photogeo180

-Return to Top-

When correctly setup, the 100 gives superb B&W too and it is en excellent and long-lasting machine.
    If you don't need the extra (and possibly theoretical) extra longevity of the pigment inks of the Pro-10, go for the Pro-100 with eyes closed and you won't regret it.

In case you'd like to research more, this guy is super knowledgeable about Canon Printers. Check his videos, tons of information there. (no affiliation of any kind, I just learnt many things through him).

6. hectorlektor

-Return to Top-

Thank you George! I Watched one of his videos before and the 100 seemed to be excellent. However, the only issue is the B&W, I agree that is should work fine as long as the settings are correct and so on. But how do I ensure that? I dont want to plow that much money into something and then not be able to get good neutral prints. I read that some had luck with glossy paper, others with semiglossy and so on, some had luck with the plug in, for others the plugin didn't work and so on. I haven't read one single issue with b&w with the 10s.
    Hmmm.... It's going to be hard to convince my wife to get the 10s and not the 100s.

7. trainer

trainer Premium Member

-Return to Top-

I have the Pro 100. I haven't been able to get 100% dead neutral b&w prints from it. However I have been perfectly happy with my b&w prints. THey have a very slight tone which I can control and the range of black to white I find very satisfying. Also the tone can shift depending on the light reflecting off the print. I'm not sure if the Pro 10 exhibits metamerism and to what degree it does if it does. THe printer is easy to maintain and use. I refill my carts with Precision Inks. I would never in the past even consider refilling but after some research I gave it a try and have been very pleased with their inks and have had absolutely no problems. I do not sell these prints. I have noticed no changes in the prints over time. Studies are being done on their inks for longevity. If I had deep pockets I would use Canon inks. In a nutshell, I have been very pleased with it. It did take some testing to find settings that produced b&ws that I was pleased with. I am fairly certain that even in the printing mode "Black and White" that color ink is being used, not just black, grey and light grey.

Here's a few samples. As you can see none are dead neutral. These were made over time and probably at different settings. For my use they are fine but for many they would not be. Add3d to this too is the color shift under different light. If someone here wants to tell me how to get perfectly neutral prints I'm all ears. I never profiled my printer so I am flying by the seat of my pants. :)
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Feb 12, 2018
  8. hectorlektor

-Return to Top-

Thank you for your examples! I personally wouldn't be bothered if the b&w's are a little on the warm side (a tiny amount), what I am allergic to is the magenta, blue or green tint.

Is it possible to just adjust with like a warming photofilter in photoshop after the b&w conversion? And figur out how much percentage to use to get as close to neutral as possible but maybe 1% or a couple to the warm side?
    I'm asking before I buy :)
    Thanks!

9. hectorlektor

-Return to Top-

Or any other way to easilty to compensate for it? :)

10. trainer

trainer Premium Member

-Return to Top-

You could add a bit of color to the file in photoshop to compensate. That would be one way. In the software in manual mode there is a place where adjustments can be made as well.
    [​IMG]
    Adjustments can be made along the x and y axis as well as contrast, brightness.

I've been happy with mine but I am very hesitant to recommend anything to anyone as everyone has different standards and wants. That's my disclaimer.

11. trainer

trainer Premium Member

-Return to Top-

Ink can run a lot of money. In the USA I think carts are about 15-16 dollars and a complete set is around $110. What happens though is one ink gets low so you replace the cartridge. It runs a cycle to prime that cart but it does all the rest too which uses up those as well. THen another is low and so on and on and on. That's the reason I refill. I calculated that my price of printing inks is 1/16th over OEM inks. It gives me the freedom to print as much as I care to and not be concerned with my wallet.

12. hectorlektor

-Return to Top-

It sounds controllable! Maybe it will be the 100! Thank you!

13. hectorlektor

-Return to Top-

Do you know any refilling kits that will ship to sweden? How good is the ink that is refillable?

14. hectorlektor

-Return to Top-

Also how close is the refill ink to original canon in longevity and results?

15. trainer

trainer Premium Member

-Return to Top-

You could go to Precision Colors and get info from him on shipping. Tests are currently being run on Precision inks and are being very closely monitored however afaik they are not completed. I would look it up in the net and read as much as possible on it. THere are some very good videos as well on using their inks. I can only recommend them for myself as many people are totally against any kind of refillable inks. As I said before if I were selling prints I would have them lab printed just to be safe.

PS. IF you get the printer save the carts when they are empty. Put them in an airtight bag. If in the future you should decide to go with refilling you can use them. I had to buy an empty set off Ebay.

16. Dirk Offringa

Dirk Offringa Premium Member

-Return to Top-

Take a look at QuadToneRIP software and website.

Also check Please login or register to view links

especially Please login or register to view links (you can use a X-Rite ColorMunki also, it's cheaper and gives good results. )

Mind that no paper is white, and no illuminant is either. So "perfectly neutral" is something quite theorethic.

And yes, colour inks are used in B&W printing in order to get perfect gradients: the QTR site explains all this stuff. Ah, and this is going to take some of your time .... be warned!

17. Dirk Offringa

-Return to Top-

Take a look at QuadToneRIP software and website.

Also check Please login or register to view links

especially Please login or register to view links (you can use a X-Rite ColorMunki also, it's cheaper and gives good results. )

Mind that no paper is white, and no illuminant is either. So "perfectly neutral" is something quite theorethic.

And yes, colour inks are used in B&W printing in order to get perfect gradients: the QTR site explains all this stuff. Ah, and this is going to take some of your time .... be warned!

18. Dirk Offringa

-Return to Top-

Huh, so multiplied posts happen to me as well, as it seems.....moderators, please delete the surplus, thanks!