This site is supported by the advertisements on it, please disable your AdBlocker so we can continue to provide you with the quality content you expect.

Burst shooting shutter lag issues X-T2

Discussion in 'X-T3, X-T2, X-T1, X-T20, X-T10, X-T100' started by m60power, May 15, 2018.

1. m60power

m60power New Member

-Return to Top-

First some details about my setup:
    -Firmware 4.00
    -18-55 lens with latest firmware
    -Pre-AF off
    -face/eye detection off
    -release priority in AFS and AFC
    -Shutter AE lock on for both AFS and AFC
    -Shutter AF off for both AFS and AFC
    -Sandisk Extreme Pro 95 mb/s cards
    -Shooting large and fine JPEG
    -Boost Mode
    -No vertical grip

I'm having issues with extreme shutter lag when shooting in Continuous Low burst mode. When holding down the shutter it will fire at 5 FPS, but as soon as I quickly pan the camera left or right or up and down the burst speed pauses completely and fires at uneven and slow intervals. If the camera is held still it will fire indefinitely, or until the card can't write fast enough to keep up. I've narrowed it down to the physical movement of the camera. It seems to be even worse when moving it around in portrait orientation. (I tried with Autorotate Display off and it doesn't make a difference). It will do this in single, continuous, and manual focus. Locking the exposure and focus before the burst shooting doesn't help either. The problem occurs in both mechanical and electronic shutter modes.

In Continuous High burst shooting (8, 11, or 14 FPS) the shutter fires perfectly without any lag until the buffer runs out, which is awhile, then the burst speed slows down (as expected). No matter how much I move the camera, or how fast I pan it around. There is no lag in the EVF or screen when this occurs, only lag in the shutter firing.

The CH burst shooting the X-T2 does not use a "live" EVF, it simply displays the last frame captured (which at 14 FPS is pretty damn smooth). In CL burst shooting (either 3, 4, or 5 FPS) it uses a "live" display, so the EVF and rear screen momentarily blacks out to capture the frame.

It seems this lag in the shutter has something to do with the camera being in a burst mode that uses "live view". Is anyone else experiencing this issue? It's driving me crazy that the CL burst speeds are so laggy.

2. JimFenner

JimFenner Premium Member

-Return to Top-

I don't have an XT2 but any chance you could try it also with a prime lens?

3. Greybeard Photography

Greybeard Photography Premium Member

-Return to Top-

Maybe fractionally slower but certainly not "extreme" - can you quantify?

4. m60power

m60power New Member

-Return to Top-

I don't have a prime lens. I have the OIS turned off. Could it be the gyro/accelerometer in the lens causing the processor to be overloaded, when combined with the live view of the low speed burst rates?

Hard to quantify because the burst becomes erratic, it will definitely slow down to 2 or 1 frame per second. Quickly panning up or down will stop the burst immediately then it will resume when the pan slows to a stop.

5. Greybeard Photography

-Return to Top-

Doesn't happen with mine - I have the same lens and tried with OIS turned off and on Tried both OIS modes 1 and 2 just to be sure. I can still get 4-5 frames per second.

6. m60power

m60power New Member

-Return to Top-

Thanks for checking! Do you know which firmware version your lens and camera are each using?

7. Greybeard Photography

-Return to Top-

Both up to date camera v4.00 and lens v3.22

8. ojporqpojrewpo

ojporqpojrewpo Premium Member

-Return to Top-

I have seen similar behavior in CL. Mostly in good light when the aperture reached F11 or more. It doesn't happen always though. I have pretty much given up on CL because of this behavior and only use CH.

9. m60power

m60power New Member

-Return to Top-

For me it happens at any aperture, and at at any shutter speed. I'm using an ISO between 200 and 1600. The crazy thing is that it lags even when the exposure is locked or in full manual mode. The camera doesn't need to meter or focus between every shot so there's no reason it should lag; especially when it is perfect when shooting 14 FPS. It's not a buffer or memory card issue because it will shoot at a constant 5 FPS for as long as I hold the shutter if the camera is pointing straight.

10. M_buster

M_buster Active Member

-Return to Top-

I've tested on mine, but doesn't seem to exhibit any lag as you described.

Though, while doing the test, I found my screen (and EVF) flickering when half-pressing. :eek:

11. m60power

m60power New Member

-Return to Top-

I figured out that the problem is the 18-55 lens. I tried shooting with the lens removed and the lag in Continuous Low is gone. I also just got the 56mm 1.2 and there is no lag even when moving the camera around. I'm thinking it's something to do with the OIS gyros in the 18-55 lens (even though it does it with OIS switched off).