This site is supported by the advertisements on it, please disable your AdBlocker so we can continue to provide you with the quality content you expect.

Battery percentage reading is unreliable(?) - X-T2

Discussion in 'X-T2, X-T1, X-T20, X-T10' started by AlphaCygni, Oct 11, 2017.

1. AlphaCygni

AlphaCygni Active Member

-Return to Top-

I have two original W126S batteries for my X-T2 and for some reason I find the percentage reading unreliable. Before I dig further I'll just mention that each battery has gone through 3-4 recharging cycles already and it doesn't seem to improve so I wonder if something is wrong with either the body (more likely) or the batteries (less likely).

Here's the thing, I put a fully recharged battery in camera, I turn it on, check the percentage reading which is 100%, use it 'till it drops to 98-99%, turn it off, turn it on again, check the reading, shows 92%.

Using it' till it reaches 88%, turning it off and back on again, boom - 84%. So on and so forth.

As mentioned earlier, it happens with both batteries, which were already charged for few times and the readings keep to drop sudden 2-7% after each using period (few minutes, usually).

The batteries don't seem to lose their charge while stored inside the camera (while it's turned off) for more than a day or so, but these drops make this whole thing quite unreliable in my opinion.

Last edited: Oct 11, 2017
  2. beakhammer

beakhammer Premium Member

-Return to Top-

The battery meters on my older Fuji-X models just show the battery as being full until it is just about to go flat, then the indicator declines very rapidly. For some reason the battery meters just aren't very good at judging the actual amount of charge remaining. This may be a result of these batteries being designed for a very even voltage output that won't change as the battery discharges.

CWRailman and AlphaCygni like this.
  3. Richard_R

Richard_R Eclectic eccentric

-Return to Top-

Fujis battery metering technology is the worst in the industry. Your only option is to learn to live with it and carry a spare battery.

Fujiphotog, BillC-PA and AlphaCygni like this.
  4. AlphaCygni

AlphaCygni Active Member

-Return to Top-

Yea, I guess I should. :\
    Thanks fellas!

5. sandroamt

sandroamt Premium Member

-Return to Top-

When my x-t10 (and I think all x-series) is in "high performance mode" it does not turns off immediately when I switch it off but it remains in standby (draining a little the battery) for about 20 minutes.
    I'm not sure if that battery draining is compatible with what you see, nor if you set the performance mode on your camera!

6. MontyBigglesworth

MontyBigglesworth Premium Member

-Return to Top-

My XT-1 battery indicator is pretty useless too!
    I can use it for hours with the meter stays on full, then the meter drops down from 2/3 to 1/3 and then the feared flashing red battery in maybe ten minutes.
    My procedure now is the moment my meter moves from 100% I change the battery.
    I am guessing this is no accident and it's designed so people are impressed with how long the battery is lasting.
    I have worked for a company that makes top end battery powered consumer products. I was told to bias my software so the battery indicator would be optimistic until the end.

7. Fujiphotog

Fujiphotog Amateur photographer.

-Return to Top-

That's why I got the grip, and now have 3 batteries to work with.