This site is supported by the advertisements on it, please disable your AdBlocker so we can continue to provide you with the quality content you expect.

Battery Indicator

Discussion in 'X-E1, X-E2, X-E2S and X-E3' started by watertight, May 19, 2017.

1. watertight

watertight Member

-Return to Top-

It happened again this morning. Three bars on the battery icon followed by a completely dark X-E2 after one or perhaps two tries to power up. Replacing the dead battery with a fresh one fixed the problem, but I have zero confidence that I will ever see any indication of approaching battery exhaustion.

I use Fuji batteries and the Fuji charger. I check the camera's battery indicator regularly when I've shot several hundred images and/or have used the LCD more than normal. I've never, ever seen the indicator at anything but three bars. My issue isn't battery life -- it's being ambushed by battery exhaustion.

I always carry a charged battery at the ready and don't want to risk worse annoyances arising from mailing the body to Fuji. Aside from keeping my firmware up to date and staying alert, I'm out of ideas other than perhaps seeing if this problem occurs with any one of my trio of batteries.

I haven't found this in a search of our forums. Anyone have a suggestion?

2. tijuana taxi

tijuana taxi Premium Member

-Return to Top-

Mine goes from full then two bars followed very shortly by big red battery symbol and dead.

No intelligent battery/meter from the earlier Fuji's, just make sure you have a few spares

CWRailman likes this.
  3. EAB

EAB Premium Member

-Return to Top-

Agreed, just pop a few spares in your pocket. If I've been shooting and chimping a lot I'll just change to a spare when there is a down moment in the action, dont see any reason to wait for the camera to fail.

natal likes this.
  4. lbrown44

lbrown44 Premium Member

-Return to Top-

Had similar issues with my E2, and my T2 is a champ. I agree with recommendation by EAB. NEVER walk away from your camera bag without a battery in your pocket.

CWRailman likes this.
  5. Richard_R

Richard_R Eclectic eccentric

-Return to Top-

It's been a problem with X cameras since the X100 was released in 2010. If you go back far enough you will find thread after thread of people complaining. Fujis battery management is crap that is all there is to it. The battery status indicators on the LCD are a joke and only work accurately twice in each cycle. Once when you put the battery in and once when the battery is flat. Everything else is a guess so as you have been advised always carry a spare battery when you are using X cameras.

6. watertight

watertight Member

-Return to Top-

Thanks to each of you for your suggestions. I've not been aware that the _indicators_ were generally considered useless. On the contrary, I'd have said that in most of the way-too-frequent complaints about X sytem batteries, reference to the indicator seems to have been considered helpful! That's what led to my complaint earlier today. I thought I was the exception!

Not to worry. I learned very quickly to carry two charged spares in my bag and I always have one of them on my person when carrying the camera apart from my bag.

I guess if Fuji has a recognized, chronic problem, it's better to have it in the battery indicator than in image capture and quality.

7. Richard_R

Richard_R Eclectic eccentric

-Return to Top-

My X100s goes from showing fully charged to getting the battery flat warning in about 4 shots. I do have to admit that the X-T1 is a little better at indicating the charge state but not much.

8. Frankie

Frankie Premium Member

-Return to Top-

I use the exposure counter for gauging battery life. The way I use my camera [MF only, no chimping, auto-anything off] nets consistently 250 shots per charge...200 shots is my reminder that battery is about gone.

Interestingly enough, not using the camera from one day to the next didn't drain the battery much.

Last edited: May 20, 2017
  9. JRJ

JRJ Premium Member

-Return to Top-

I used to see this as a problem with my X-T1, but now I'm used to it and when I see it at 2 bars, I pop in a fresh battery. Never go anywhere without a couple of spares.
    But how hard can it be to make a battery meter that's as accurate as the one on my cellphone?

tijuana taxi likes this.
  10. jingler

jingler New Member

-Return to Top-