This site is supported by the advertisements on it, please disable your AdBlocker so we can continue to provide you with the quality content you expect.

Battery grip for X-T3, is it worth it?

Discussion in 'X-T3, X-T2, X-T1, X-T20, X-T10, X-T100' started by pszilard, Oct 11, 2018.

?
  1. No

14 vote(s)
    50.0%
  2. Yes

14 vote(s)
    50.0%
  1. pszilard

pszilard RemektekMedia.com

-Return to Top-

It seems - and correct me if I'm wrong - that the battery grip for the X-T3 adds 2 extra batteries, a bigger grip and duplicated buttons, but NO extra features.

I believe it is sold with 2 genuine batteries. Can anyone confirm this?
    It is sold in Australia for AU$478 and the batteries sold for AU$132 each, which would make the grip cost $214.

So if I just bought 2 batteries, I can have a smaller and lighter body and $214 to put towards another lens.

So my question is: Do you think buying the battery grip is worth it or not? Please VOTE, so we can easily see the way the chips fall. Thanks.

Last edited: Oct 11, 2018
  2. Greybeard Photography

Greybeard Photography Premium Member

-Return to Top-

Depends on your geography but there are package deals that include the grip at reduced cost (same as there were for the X-T2).

I bought one for the X-T2, hardly ever used it and have no intention of getting one for the X-T3 (I am getting a non-battery grip).

Again it might depend on geography but I don't think the grip comes with batteries - that was a special deal with the X-H1.

jknights likes this.
  3. 4 Candles

4 Candles Member

-Return to Top-

I can confirm I didn’t get 2 extra included batteries when I purchased mine here in the U.K. I had to buy them separately.
    The Grip is useful if like me you own the 50-140 and 100-400 lens. Not a necessary purchase if you own small lenses.

4. pszilard

pszilard RemektekMedia.com

-Return to Top-

That makes the battery grip an outrageous price! What did you pay for it?

5. GregWard

GregWard Moderator Staff Member

-Return to Top-

For me personally I would say that you are wrong - it DOES add features. It provides a better grip when using heavier lenses plus - and importantly - it adds the ability to hold the camera correctly (in a stable position without your "elbows flapping about") when using the camera in portrait orientation. Additionally, of course, it means you have those two extra batteries immediately ready to go. So, there's no need to change batteries when you run down (which, as we know, is always necessary at the worst possible time!)

That said - what I think is neither here nor there. All that matters for you is what matters to you. If none of those features are helpful to you then - in effect - you're right and it adds no useful features from your pov.

blacksheep likes this.
  6. Jonimages

Jonimages Premium Member

-Return to Top-

I think it's worth it because of the ergonomics and in fact did buy a X-t3 with the grip. Batteries didn't come with the grip but I do believe those should have been included if the camera looks for genuine batteries.

7. jknights

jknights Moderator Staff Member

-Return to Top-

Similar experience. I bought it for my XT1 but the battery on my XT2 seems to last so much longer I never bothered. I believe an insert that is wired to an external battery pack is a better proposition.

8. Bandje

Bandje Premium Member

-Return to Top-

I agree. I do watersports photography, and the batterygrip on my X-T2 makes sure the camera is well balanced with the 50-140, that portrait shots are easier to take, and that I don't have to change batteries on a boat with spray all around. However, I use it only then, and never on any other job or for private use. It's worth it just for this purpose, but I was able to get the grip secondhand for half the price.

I think these grips are outrageously expensive, and for the price you mention I would personally not think it worth it.

GregWard likes this.
  9. GregWard

-Return to Top-

I agree they are expensive (which you see quite easily if/when a 3rd party releases a version) The "is it worth it" question is much trickier I think - because it's totally down to the individual. The poll question is, therefore, difficult in the context of the OP. Certainly I answered the question literally (i.e. would I buy it) I'd make zero attempt to persuade anybody else about buying one - just point out what it does and see if that "rang bells" with the person. If not - spend the money on a lens or a photo trip somewhere.

10. robert

robert Administrator Staff Member

-Return to Top-

From my use of the X-T3, the battery life is significantly improved, so I wouldn't buy one for that reason, but it may be useful for the larger zooms. But since I don't have the larger zooms, the Metro Case grip works great for additional hand grip support (pretty much eliminating hand cramping after a long day of shooting) and adds nearly no weight. But, I'm rather biased. :)

jknights and qhs232 like this.
  11. 4 Candles

4 Candles Member

-Return to Top-

It is £299 at present. I already had the additional batteries from my previous XT2 and grip. You do get £200 cash back from the trade in of the XT2, although Fujifilm make you wait 30 days bizarrely before you can submit your claim, 2 more weeks to go.

12. ojporqpojrewpo

ojporqpojrewpo Premium Member

-Return to Top-

I use my X-T2 grip mainly for time lapses and star trails. There its very useful. Otherwise I almost never use it.

13. nu2digital

nu2digital Premium Member

-Return to Top-

A client once asked if I was going to use the "big camera" or the "little camera" for their event. I finally figured out that they thought the camera with the grip was a different camera than the camera without the grip. The "big camera" is the professional camera that takes amazing pictures. That's the one the client wants. The "little camera" is "a toy". I've literally heard it described that way.

So, yes. I plan to buy the grip and use it any time I'm shooting a job. It makes the camera look more professional to some clients. That means more clients, which means more work, which means more income. The grip pays for itself. :)

Oh, and I also prefer the ergonomics of shooting a gripped camera when using heavier lenses. That and the extra batteries come in useful for longer events.

John

AGIIINTblue likes this.
  14. Tom G

Tom G New Member

-Return to Top-

I have to agree with Greg Ward and all his comments. ( 100% )
    just go my X-T3 and the Grip + had to buy two batteries

I grudged every penny I paid of the £299 plus the £90 for two spare batteries,
    but I bought out of necessity and piece of mind,
    when I go away on day trips which is quiet often then
    its good to no the batteries will last all day

Tom G Ayrshire Scotland

15. digitalpatriot

digitalpatriot Member

-Return to Top-

Definitely worth it. If you're dedicated to the system and ever find yourself shooting either a long shoot, professionally, or portraits, you'll want that grip. It's part of the package.

blacksheep likes this.
  16. Phil_ATL

Phil_ATL Well-Known Member

-Return to Top-

If you only need a grip, I have the Metro Case and like it a lot for up to and including the 100-400mm lens on the X-T3. Has an Arca baseplate. Very light weight.

Please login or register to view links

17. 321estrellas

321estrellas Member

-Return to Top-

Not worth it to me, but if I were a professional doing paid gigs that took all day, it would be a no-brainer for me to get one. Especially with the supposed low battery life of the X-T3.

18. robert

robert Administrator Staff Member

-Return to Top-

I haven't experienced any battery life issues, quite the contrary...I received the X-T3 on Sept. 24, and charged it once so far...this included one shoot about 4 hours long, total 2361 shots, and the battery went down one bar.

Charged it again today...

LionSpeed likes this.
  19. LionSpeed

LionSpeed Premium Member

-Return to Top-

I do believe you. My X-H1 behaves in similar way. Shot around 1,100 shots and went down 1 bar (3 bars left). Next day shoot another 800 or so, went down to 2 bars. Some of the people here may think we are joking.

20. GregWard

-Return to Top-

It's about more than just battery life. In particular the ability to hold the camera better when used vertically. That still might not matter to you. But it's why some of us buy grips like this and not necessarily the battery life or because we are pros.