This site is supported by the advertisements on it, please disable your AdBlocker so we can continue to provide you with the quality content you expect.

Basic/cheap zoom lens for wild animals photography

Discussion in 'General X Camera Forum' started by Aga, Mar 5, 2018.

1. Mike Gorman

Mike Gorman Premium Member

-Return to Top-

Jamie, I think she hails from Norway!

2. Aga

Aga New Member

-Return to Top-

Yes, I'm in Norway now, but I used to live in the UK, so after I couldn't find any used ones in Norway I looked for them in the UK. I found some, but the delivery cost is £20. The refurbished Fuji UK ones look good, but 50-230 is out of stock and I need it quite soon. If you know any other online place that can have them cheaply and in good conditions, which delivers to Norway, let me know :)

3. Untxizuria

Untxizuria Member

-Return to Top-

If you get them for nearly the same price I'd pick version II, if you get the version I cheaper, it's fine too - it's just 1 extra stop ois.

4. Nickcv

Nickcv Premium Member

-Return to Top-

MPB in the UK have three at the moment starting from £129.

Please login or register to view links

5. Aga

Aga New Member

-Return to Top-

Thanks, I've seen them. I am not sure if the one for £129 is worth buying as it's marked as well used but both of them, together with the one for £164 they have some dust on the lens which worries me a bit. They say it shouldn't affect the optics, but I am not sure how it works. And then I need to add £20 for delivery. I have access to another lens which was only shown in the shop for demo and it goes for £215. Which one would you choose for my purposes of occasional use? I don't want to spend too much on it, as mentioned before.

6. mikEm13

mikEm13 Premium Member

-Return to Top-

If you don't have confidence in the cheaper lenses then for piece of mind I think you should buy the newer lens.

7. Nickcv

Nickcv Premium Member

-Return to Top-

Dust in lenses is a common problem and it's true to say it rarely affects the optical quality of a lens.

8. Fuzzdog

Fuzzdog Active Member

-Return to Top-

A bit of dust doesn't seem to affect longer lenses much at all - my old very well used Sigma 100-300 EX F/4 was full of dust and had a big dark splodge of fungus in it at one point before it got cleaned, and the difference in image quality between before and after cleaning was... well, nothing at all really. Almost wondered why I bothered! o_O

9. FMW

FMW Premium Member

-Return to Top-

The XC tele zoom is sharp, small and light. Unless you need the ruggedness of a metal lens, it will get the job done famously.