This site is supported by the advertisements on it, please disable your AdBlocker so we can continue to provide you with the quality content you expect.

Autofocus distance meter error?

Discussion in 'X-Pro2 and X-Pro1' started by baronman, Aug 11, 2017 at 11:08 PM.

1. baronman

baronman New Member

-Return to Top-

I have found recently that my Xpro-2 with the 23mm 2.0 has a discrepancy in the distance meter.

While in autofocus, I focus on an object 15' away, when I switch to manual focus it's at 30'.

Similarly with an object at 3 foot distance, I manually focus to 3' and there appears to be some blur.

Oddly this doesn't occur with my 27mm.

Any thoughts?

2. beakhammer

beakhammer Premium Member

-Return to Top-

With Fuji's electronically driven manual focus system the focus can be thrown off when you switch modes under some circumstances with some lenses. You just have to re-focus after switching modes when this occurs. If your lens is not focusing at the distance indicated however, the lens may be in need of adjustment. You might have to send the lens in for repair. Sounds like the camera is fine, since it works OK with the 27mm. You could try re-loading the lens firmware for the 23mm/2 from a fresh download (make sure the new firmware is the only Fuji software in the folder before uploading it to the camera, best to download the firmware into an empty folder to avoid mistakes).

baronman likes this.
  3. baronman

baronman New Member

-Return to Top-

Thanks. Unfortunately this lens is still Version 1.0

4. beakhammer

-Return to Top-

Yes, but the firmware may have been corrupted somehow, so re-loading a fresh download might concievably fix your problem. It's worth a try before sending the camera off.

Another thing to try, sometimes a particular lens doesn't want to seat quite right and this can affect how well the contacts connect. Make sure the lens is clicking in all the way, and that there is not a blob of lint on one of the contacts.

5. baronman

baronman New Member

-Return to Top-

I would re-load the firmware for the lens if I could find it. Viewing the Fuji site, this is the one lens that doesn't appear to have an update available since it's 1.0.

6. beakhammer

-Return to Top-

They should have the 1.0 firmware up there somewhere too. Is it really not available? That's annoying.

7. gyoung

gyoung Well-Known Member

-Return to Top-

The latest firmware update for the XPRo2 is supposed to correct some anomalies with the distance scale, it has been very noticeable with my 14mm, although as far as I can remember my 23/2 has not been aproblem. Is the camera up to date?

Gerry

8. baronman

baronman New Member

-Return to Top-

Yes, I did the update yesterday.

Honestly I never noticed the problem before *however* I was starting to notice some funky focusing on some of my shots done in manual focus. Shooting around the house with family I can usually eyeball what 4 or 6 foot distance looks like. Now when I actually test it, it's off considerably.

I have been using the 27mm primarily for the last month or two and it was just yesterday that I stuck the 23mm back on and noticed the issue. Might have been there from the start but I doubt it. If the issue existed with my 27mm I'd say it's a camera issue however that lens appears very accurate as far as distance goes.

Plan to send it to Fuji today, hopefully it's covered as it's only 5 months old.