This site is supported by the advertisements on it, please disable your AdBlocker so we can continue to provide you with the quality content you expect.

50-230mm At the Park

Discussion in 'Lens-Specific Photo Archive' started by DFW, Apr 16, 2018.

1. DFW

DFW Active Member

-Return to Top-

Played around at the park with the 50-230 mm today. First time taking lots of pics with it.

F77144DF-7956-48EF-8900-249C2175503C.jpeg

E447CC1A-819A-41AB-8C03-732A5D9BCAD4.jpeg

CWRailman, JRick and Irene McC like this.
  2. DFW

DFW Active Member

-Return to Top-

A couple more pics

89497C53-8BE6-4FEE-BD96-560DA99E2E74.jpeg

5D4A3D68-F31B-42FE-AD23-62725BC3EF3D.jpeg

CWRailman and Richard_R like this.
  3. JRick

JRick Premium Member

-Return to Top-

curious.....when i zoomed in on that first shot with the twisted tree, it also looked VERY cool to me when the house and other trees were cropped out. please try it and tell me your impression......or maybe i'm just a tree trunk freak :)

edited this in later....
    just looked at the turtles shot ....same effect to me !!

i think you get some great "shots in a shot"
    that's your shooting style so i don't want to change it, but i suggest you also try and fill the frame sometimes just to see how they look too

happy shooting
    TIA, rick

Last edited: Apr 16, 2018
  4. DFW

DFW Active Member

-Return to Top-

I would agree with you on the tree , it would be better cropped to just the tree. My thought when I took the picture was that the tree in bloom would add to the shot but definitely too much house in there. Plus I find the the tree in behind to the right without any blossoms yet is kinda distracting.
    I actually did take a closer zoomed in shot of the turtles but when I got home and looked at my shots it was blurry, I must have moved or something.
    Thanks for the feedback it always appreciated!

5. JRick

JRick Premium Member

-Return to Top-

oddly enuff, i heard the "fill the frame !" (and stop shooting what you don't need to see) mantra at a (god forbid) ....workshop :)

i had gotten into a 'zoom rather than walk' habit of wanting more in the shot than was actually necessary, knowing i could always crop it later, etc.
    - i still like using a zoom if it has the image quality i need, and that gap has essentially closed, but now i am more disciplined and leave it at one focal length for lots of shoots rather than constantly tweak the zoom ring. i think it has helped my composition skills...but who could know for sure ? :)
    - i do NOT feel primes are better in this aspect, since you can certainly use a zoom as a prime......just takes some discipline and once you have conditioned that you have multiple primes available without worrying about changing lenses and getting nasties on your sensor :)

DFW likes this.
  6. DFW

DFW Active Member

-Return to Top-

Another shot from the bunch I liked.

8B76FD64-6DF7-4757-B516-D5E86A0073D9.jpeg

7. DFW

DFW Active Member

-Return to Top-

I really prefer Primes ! I love my 35mm f2 . I didn’t take it that day but will go back and get some shots of the tree with it.