This site is supported by the advertisements on it, please disable your AdBlocker so we can continue to provide you with the quality content you expect.

At Rest in Silverton

Discussion in 'General' started by CWRailman, Apr 13, 2017.

1. CWRailman

CWRailman Premium Member

-Return to Top-

Durango and Silverton Railroad #480 and it’s consist at rest under dark clouds in front of the Silverton station awaiting clearance so it can continue backing down the mainline to the wye where it turns the complete train. It then backs up past the Silverton station and into town where it picks up the passengers and heads back down to Durango. About 8 hours after this traditional "rods down" shot was taken it started snowing in the mountains surrounding Silverton. X-T1, ISO 400, 1/250 second, pattern metering, 0 exposure compensation,18-55mm lens, f7.1 at 18mm focal length. Processed in Lightroom 6.8 and Color Efex Pro 4.
    Colorado 2016 506 Crop2 Reduced.jpg

Irene McC, mfk, sixtygp and 7 others like this.
  2. Scott Burkett

Scott Burkett Well-Known Member

-Return to Top-

Undoubtably my favorite train ride.....should be on anyone's 'bucket list'.

Love your treatment of this photo.

3. PatrickP

PatrickP Premium Member

-Return to Top-

Great setting, but I'm wondering why you shut it from this place. Why not more to the right and closer. Now you have so much foreground which is not interesting

4. CWRailman

CWRailman Premium Member

-Return to Top-

Closer and a different angle would not tell the story I wanted to tell. That shot is what is known as a classic train shot showing the locomotive with it's main drive rod in down position and with a portion of the consist. Sometimes referred to as the 3/4 angle shot. Closer would have eliminated the grass off to the left which adds some color to the cloud darkening scene, diminished the consist behind the locomotive and shown the people standing alongside the train conversing who I did not want in the photo.

With the train further up the line I had already captured numerous images such as the one shown below of just the locomotive which is good but does not show off several of the features unique to the narrow gauge locomotives such as the outside of frame wheel counterweights which are more noticeable in the first image or the long distance between the last driver and the trailing truck which supports the cab and rear of the boiler. So, when the train made an unscheduled stop to communicate with someone in the station (the train does not normally stop at the station on either it's way in or out of town) I grabbed the opportunity to get the photo shown in my original posting. Colorado 2016 496 Crop 5x7 Reduced.jpg

Last edited: Apr 13, 2017
    Irene McC likes this.
  5. PatrickP

PatrickP Premium Member

-Return to Top-

A more than satisfactory answer. I do not usually shoot trains, so a new world for me. To be honest, I like the shot you posted right now more, but that is just me, the mainly street and event photographer. :rolleyes:

Looking forward to seeing more of your work!

6. Alice

Alice Premium Member

-Return to Top-

I like it just as it is. The foreground shows the barren land you often see around tracks. Environment shows context.

Irene McC likes this.
  7. SausalitoDog

SausalitoDog Premium Member

-Return to Top-

Both wonderful shots. Trains like that just don't show up everywhere, do they? :)