This site is supported by the advertisements on it, please disable your AdBlocker so we can continue to provide you with the quality content you expect.

Assigning depth-of-Field preview to a button (X-T20)

Discussion in 'X-T3, X-T2, X-T1, X-T20, X-T10, X-T100' started by MeInPittsburgh, Jun 12, 2018.

1. MeInPittsburgh

MeInPittsburgh Member

-Return to Top-

New to Fuji, new X-T20. Trying to assign DoF preview to a button. Menu system let's me do that, and shows/confirms the assignment, but I see no effect when I press the assigned button. (Doing so at small aperture, where difference would be evident.) in P mode, AF, same whether I focus lock or not. What am I missing?
    Thanks

2. Reg Isteredtoviewlinks

Reg Isteredtoviewlinks Premium Member

-Return to Top-

Change to A priority or manual. How can YOU assign aperture in P mode; it's the camera that's assigning the aperture in P mode.

3. MeInPittsburgh

MeInPittsburgh Member

-Return to Top-

Program shift (rear thumb-wheel) lets you shift the combination shutter-speed/aperture within the overall EV exposure the Program has set. And that works... it's just that the DoF preview doesn't work (in any mode, as far as I know)

4. Reg Isteredtoviewlinks

Reg Isteredtoviewlinks Premium Member

-Return to Top-

Works fine with my XT2. As long as I'm in A priority or Manual.
    I don't use it as a rule and normally half press to see the dof, but have just assigned the button and it works fine.

5. Goldingd

Goldingd Premium Member

-Return to Top-

If, I have your question correctly, then a simple RTM will yield the answer.

Manual at Please login or register to view links (hopefully link opens to appropriate page) this comes under the Fn (function buttons), assigning roles.

6. MeInPittsburgh

MeInPittsburgh Member

-Return to Top-

Yeah, I did RT(F)M, and followed procedures to assign the function. I have confirmed that it is assigned, and, indeed, it operates in Aperture mode, but nit in P mode, even though one CAN change the aperture values in P mode. Strange restriction, I think

7. MeInPittsburgh

MeInPittsburgh Member

-Return to Top-

By God, you've got it! Had not appreciated that with the half-press, the display already incorporated DoF preview, making a special Fn button unnecessary (for me, anyway)

I guess this is part of getting use to mirrorless....

Thanks!