This site is supported by the advertisements on it, please disable your AdBlocker so we can continue to provide you with the quality content you expect.

adding some lens flare

Discussion in 'Photos taken with non-Fuji Cameras (specify!)' started by JRick, Aug 10, 2018.

1. JRick

JRick Premium Member

-Return to Top-

(D-750)
    fireworks season is here and i'm getting bored with the traditional shots so i decided to experiment...
    - usually i'm not a fan of lens flare but decided it might work so i tried it in this shot...and kept it :)

these were the hi-fliers...big (8inch) mortar shots and i finally got the small rim bursts. my Japanese friends liked it because it reminded them of what they call "senko hanabi" (small firework sticks that drip these kind of bursts)

DSC_8445 copy.jpg

2. johant

johant Premium Member

-Return to Top-

Hmm, doesn't do it for me really. Actual lens flare is not so geometrically correct. I'd prefer a different crop, without lens flare.

3. JRick

JRick Premium Member

-Return to Top-

what do you mean by "actual lens flare is not so geometrically correct" ???
    do you mean this is not lens flare and i'm using the wrong term to describe what is being shown ???
    ...sorry,but i'm confused ;-)

4. leoda1945

leoda1945 Premium Member

-Return to Top-

In this shot it works for me. It adds some weight down in that corner.

(I expect that viewers think you added that effect by computer, and may see it as a gimmick. I personally don't care if it is or not.)

5. JRick

JRick Premium Member

-Return to Top-

definitely NOT a gimmick......only computer effect in this shot was from a few LR tweaks
    - i was fighting that light on the fence all night and decided to use it //lol//
    i wouldn't have the slightest idea how to create lens flare from anything //rotflmao//
    maybe johant will answer my Q

Q for ANYONE.......is there such a thing as computer generated "virtual" lens flare ????
    - a PS "feature" ??? i don't have PS and never even gave it a free trial :-(

i liked it and finished it this way for two reasons ... lens flare was only one :)

johant likes this.
  6. JRick

JRick Premium Member

-Return to Top-

i explained but it might be worth repeating....
    i live in Japan so a lot of my shots cater to my Ja friends
    the main element highlighted in this shot is the senko hanabi ... non Japanese folks might not get that :)

7. johant

johant Premium Member

-Return to Top-

My assumption indeed was that you added the flare to the photo, to balance the fireworks. For me, the lens flare in the photo is a bit distracting; it pulls away the attention from to fireworks to basically nowhere. My personal opinion, of course.

8. JRick

JRick Premium Member

-Return to Top-

johant

unlike video, a photo is obviously a static image. the only thing ‘moving' is the viewer’ eyes, so it all depends on which way the lens flare causes the viewer to move their eyes :)
    - for you it’s (sucking) pulling your eyes in and away from the subject. for me it’s (radiating) moving my eyes out towards the main subject, so it is not distracting. that makes it a leading line for me which is generally an image enhancer.
    - also, you didn’t know what the subject was. you considered the subject to be the firework burst. it was not. it was the small bursts on the outer rim. the main mushrooms radiated outward to highlight them, complimenting the lens flare which was also radiating toward them. the small burts were actually centered in the frame. yes, this is subtle and would not be apparent to many (non-Japanese) viewers…that’s why i pointed this out. but with that said, i wouldn’t want to think this shot could only be understood and appreciated if you were Japanese //lol//

here’s one of my main reasons why i don’t care for lens flare :
    - when i see flare caused by the sun or any bright light source in a scene, particularly with foliage, i see it the same way. as if it is moving away from the source and radiating thru the foliage. and this flare usually has haze associated with it.
    - the combination of both, to my eyes, tends to muddy the image rather than enhance it. even if the shooter manages to get some cool looking diffraction spikes (aka: sunstars), they often get the flare with it too. hard to remove and a pita that doesn’t enhance the photo in any way.
    - and of course all this is VERY lens dependent :)

next
    since no one answered my Q……..i consulted Mr Google and sure enuff, creating fake lens flare is yet another 'feature of PS :)
    i saw a tutorial that took nine steps to create it but that process seemed like a royal pita, and to me, the finished product looked more like a bubble machine maker than a lens flare tutorial:)
    - but as i said, i've never been a fan of PS and still won't be getting it even tho it can do things like compositing, that are much harder to do other ways. …and it would make it easier for me to shoot cars by light painting //lol//

but what i'd still like to know is why you stated “actual lens flare is not so geometrically correct" ??
    the only tweaking i did to the flare was dehaze it a bit. i did not alter the geometry at all. i wanted it as a stand alone element and for this shot it did what i wanted it to do rather than get in the way and muddy my shot

anyway, i hope that makes sense

i’m not posting this to change your mind and ‘like’ the shot. getting likes is not why i post photos :)
    i joined this forum for the opportunity to discuss the whys and hows of photography more than the opportunity to browse the eye candy and get inspired :)
    - i’m much more interested in WHY people like photos rather than IF they like them…..it’s another way i learn. and the reasons given by photographers are often quite different from a non-photographer viewer :)